Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TOPAMAX SURVEY - DOSAGE/LENGTH OF TIME/SUCCESS

Hey Paddy,

Thanks for your quick response, much appreciated.

Y'know, every so often since starting with MWO I'll think to myself, this is stupid, wasting so much time on that site reading stuff from total strangers - you're doing fine with the program just get on with it!! And then I'll post something and get a response that points me back in the right direction and I'll know why I stick around!Anyway, enough early morning blathering, still on extended Easter break here and about to go horse riding .

You surmised correctly Paddy, I didn't get my topa through a doctor. The thought of approaching my all too anglo doctor was too horrific. (Why do we put up with these people? Suspect many have worse problem than we have - bitch, bitch!!) But maybe a bit of doctor shopping may be in order, particularly if the weight loss continues. I should make an interesting case study for the right doc as I've never felt fitter and healthier.

But a question. You mentioned topa and possible liver effects? Is there any indication (that you have heard of) that there may be an effect here? I know that my liver is/was fine as I had some liver tests done last year while I was still drinking - following a scare involving a friend - a powerful motivator in sending me looking for this site!!

The ear ringing sounds horrible. I hope that subsides.

Cheers,

RR

Comment

G'day Robin,

You're right. This site is terrific. Just to put your mind at rest, it's not the Topa that is bad for your liver. It's any medication that can have an effect on your liver function (your SGT and SGOT levels in particular). In extreme cases, if your liver doesn't agree with a particular medication, this can lead to mild cases of hepatitis - this, for instance, with medication such as Lipitor which is commonly used to drive down cholesterol. But you would detect this by seeing the colour of your urine turn oily (sorry to sound gross ...).

So, don't worry at this stage. But with any medication you take, it's always good to regularly keep a check on your blood (i.e. liver function, kidney, ...).

Best of luck
      Paddy
      Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

thanks again Paddy. I've been flicking back thru' this thread and getting heaps of information...

Comment

Hi Everyone,
          I might be a little late on this thread. I started topa in August of 2006. Usual side effects,
          tingling in hands, topa dopa, metalic taste in mouth, weight loss (17 pounds).

As far the drinking, topa work wonders as first. I noticed at 100 mgs. that I didn't crave a drink as much during normal "happy hour". I had cut way back on drinking. But after four months on topa in noticed my drinking at increased back up.

That is the point when I made the decision to go alcohol free. Just my experience.
          Abby

Comment

G'day Abby, when you reached that point at 4 months where you still at 100 mgs?

I can see myself move into that direction, too, funny enough. I am not completely AF. I'm at an average of 1 drink of wine per night, and I'm still at the cross-roads of deciding on whether Topa will allow me to moderate or whether allowing myself that one drink will affect its effect on the long run.
            Paddy

Comment

Paddy,

Hope all is well one your side of the world. I was at a 150mg of topa and realized I was back to "normal" drinking habits. Which a abnormal amounts.....(more than 2 glasses of wine.)
              Abby

Comment

Yup, i can honestly see that trend being able to break into my life, too - funny enough ... So, at this stage, I'm really thinking about total abstinence versus moderation ...
                Paddy

Comment

This has always been my concern as well - "drinking through the topa" - having the topa work at first but then 'drinking through its effects'. I've heard of this happening.
                  Not to be a downer, but I think we REALLY have to remember that this recovery process is SO much more than a medication (not that anyone here is implying that). It's all of the steps that are important - the CDs, the supps, the vitamins (nutrient deficients play a big role in cravings), exercise and addressing emotional and spiritual issues. It's hard work but worth it...
                  Love Jen
                  Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

Hi everyone,

I've been thinking about this too. Still on 125 of topa but thinking of going back down to 100 as I haven't noticed much difference between the doses. It's working fine - or at least
                    something is! I'm on the supps. doing the CDs, the whole bloomin' lot! So its hard to attribute success to any one particuar element. Most likely it is the combination. And maybe we are all neglecting to give ourselves a bit of credit here - good old will power may have a bit to do with it as well you know!

My aim has always been moderation (I'm a control freak, bloody booze isn't going to control me, it'll be the other way around, thank you very much) and after an initial 30 day AF period I have had a couple of glasses of wine and to my great joy I have been able to keep it to one or maximum two glasses on each occasion, which have been at least a week apart. So I'm fairly OK with that sort of drinking through the topa.

I guess what I'm trying to say, in my usual rambling way, is that I agree with InnerStrength in that the topa is just one of the tools at our disposal and that our success will ultimately be due to a far more complex and I suspect more rewarding set of factors than just those little pink pills....

love to all,

RR

Comment

Hi RR

I think will power has been the major element for me.

I like it.

Comment

Yeah, it's the thing that gets us here in the first place!
                        RR

Comment

News from the Doc

Just checked with the Medical Director of the hospital that I usually go to re- Topa. He knows why I'm taking it and he's very supportive and cooperative.

So here are the facts -

Tinitis (ringing in the ear) may go away after a month. This along with some hearing loss that may be experienced while taking Topa (by a small percentage of people) may persist.

In any case, it's important to give it a period of ONE MONTH in order to see whether the side effects will subside.

It's important to also note that 200 mgs is the MINIMAL effective dose for Topamax, something I didn't know before either.

All in all, I guess I have to continue with the supplements and probably hit the gym more often. But I'm really reassured also by the medical community over here. They're not all bad, let me tell you ...
                          Paddy

Comment

[QUOTE=Paddy;123596]It's important to also note that 200 mgs is the MINIMAL effective dose for Topamax, something I didn't know before either. QUOTE]

I'm just starting, on day 2. I am wondering if people followed the guidelines in the book for topa dosage and got to 200mg at 6 weeks or increased the dosage sooner.

Thanks for your input!

Comment

G'day,

I would titrate slowly rather than quickly. Remember you're dealing with a drug altering neuro activities, so it's important to be on the safe side. Slowly is safe. The fastest I increased was 25 mgs every 4 days. But for the first week, it's best to first get your body used to an initial low dose of 25 or 50 mgs.

Good luck!
                              Paddy

Comment

Got my Topa today. Just to check with everyone on the plan - start by taking it only in the evenings, right? Start with 25 mg, yes? I bought 50 mg pills with the plan to cut them in half for the first week. Anyone start with 50 mg? Just curious. I'm about 2 hours before bedtime and going to start tonight!

Thanks!

Journey

Comment

Working...
                                X