TOPAMAX SURVEY - DOSAGE/LENGTH OF TIME/SUCCESS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long term no worries, Doo. Some have stayed on it for migraines as long as 10 years. Just do regular blood tests and liver function (every three month) as you do with every medication you take longterm.
    Paddy
    Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

Thanks Topa-Dopa-Padsta xo
      :heart: Sobriety - Keep it simple :heart:

Comment

does anyone have advice on which works best, campral, naltrxone? I want to take top bc of the weight loss but i know for a fact naltrexone works. Campral is okay, but the GI probs are not.

Comment

another question; does anyone know if one of the meds help moderate binge drinking or is it all or nothing with all meds? Ironically, i have been getting migranes lately, but as I said before, Im worried Topamax won't work.

Comment

Not sure Taz but perhaps someone has a good answer for you...for me, at the expense of repeating myself, topa worked kind of like a switch.
            tony
            :boxer:Failure is NOT an option! :boxer:

Comment

:new: :new: :new:

Comment

Great thread, Paddy.

I started the topa last July at 25 mgs and immediately felt that "switch" in my head saying "that's enough". It was great! Started exercising (totally aberrant behaviour for me), lost 20 lbs and had only minor effects: sore legs, lost words. Stress built at work so I titrated up to 200 by the end of October and it was just too much for body...spacey, anxious, just feeling drugged and back to drinking so I stopped the topa. Then had a nightmare experience with Effexor for SAD in December and went off all meds. So, now that I'm clean (alas not sober), I'm ready to get back in the saddle with topa. I'm 5'6'', 46 and 170 lbs.

Starting today with 25mgs in the afternoon.

Thanks for the thread!

Gloria

Comment

Hi Taz! And welcome....

Think that topa will work for all drinking, binge or not. (Do get the CDs as they really help stop the binge before it can get rolling.) As I had written, with the topa, suddenly I just had no interest in having a drink.

Took Campral for about two weeks but it had no effect whatsoever for me. None. Sorry.

Gloria

Comment

middlepathpilgrim;130855 wrote: Great thread, Paddy.

I started the topa last July at 25 mgs and immediately felt that "switch" in my head saying "that's enough". It was great! Started exercising (totally aberrant behaviour for me), lost 20 lbs and had only minor effects: sore legs, lost words. Stress built at work so I titrated up to 200 by the end of October and it was just too much for body...spacey, anxious, just feeling drugged and back to drinking so I stopped the topa. ... So, now that I'm clean (alas not sober), I'm ready to get back in the saddle with topa. I'm 5'6'', 46 and 170 lbs.

Starting today with 25mgs in the afternoon.

Thanks for the thread!

Gloria
                    We're here for you Gloria....glad to have you back in the saddle!...for me the Topa has been great so far!....8 Days AF! WhooWhoo!!! :happy:

Comment

Middlepath, I'm wondering if there was something more than just work stress that you had to increase dosage from 25mg (where you felt the light switch) to 200mg. I'm also just curious as to whether the Topa is something your body adjusts to ie higher dosages required over time, or whether it was psychological thing for you wanting to go back to the demon drink.

Doo
                      :heart: Sobriety - Keep it simple :heart:

Comment

ScoobyDoo;130867 wrote: Middlepath, I'm wondering if there was something more than just work stress that you had to increase dosage from 25mg (where you felt the light switch) to 200mg. I'm also just curious as to whether the Topa is something your body adjusts to ie higher dosages required over time, or whether it was psychological thing for you wanting to go back to the demon drink.

Doo
                        Scooby brings up a good question....if a lower dosage of Topa seems to be working is there any reason to increase the dosage?...I know the plan calls for increasing until one gets up to about 300mg a day...and from what I've read on the boards most stop around 150 to 200mg a day....If cravings are decreased at a lower dose is there really anything to be gained in increasing...getting up to a higher dosage...staying there for awhile and then decreasing later???...just asking those who have had some experience....I'm forging into new territory here....
                        tony

Comment

I'm wondering about all these sorts of things as well!! As already mentioned, I'm staying with 100mgs and don't intend going any higher (I did go up to 125mgs but felt no difference so couldn't see the point!) But then again I'm not really trying to eliminate ALL desire to drink since I figure that's something I'm going to have to deal with at some stage anyway!!)

I think another factor to consider is how strong those cravings are - Doo and I were talking in earlier posts about the difference between physical cravings and simply wanting (OK, really, really wanting that drink.) Maybe that's another factor in how high any particular person takes a dosage??

But this is just speculation . I'd love to hear from someone who's been through the Topa cycle and has come out....where???

Robin
                          x

PS Doo to answer one of your earlier posts re an alternative to smoking and drinking, I'm much taken with the notion of extreme sports. Skydiving perhaps!!

Comment

I'm on day 3 of 100 mg a day. I still LOVE the stuff. I tried Campral for about 2 weeks. It did nothing except cause extreme bloating and unhappiness (as a result of the bloating, I'd say). I have gone grocery shopping and strolled right past the wine displays and through the aisles like a "normal" person. Who is this person? It is so strange. Like I said in my last post, however, I am still battling the deeply ingrained behaviorial trends of evening/weekends - must be drinking time. But the strangest thing is that I'll have one and just nurse it. It lasts most of the night. Whereas several weeks ago, chug-a-lug, down the first glass and quickly pour another one before hubby notices. I feel so FREE!!!! Really, happiest I've been in ages. 100 mg is working so well for me, I will stay on this until Day 7, then see what happens when I go up to 125 (before now, I was going up every 4 days).

Still no bad side effects. Very thirsty and a bit sleepy during the day. Word loss too.

Journey

Comment

I can so relate Journey...chug one down before the spouse sees it...I'd wait until she left the room, try and pour a quick one and get back onto the couch before she got back..maybe she wouldn't notice it was a new one.....and yes...there are some very deeply ingrained behavioral trends that will have to be changed...and how good it feels to walk past that wine aisle in the grocery store and not even blink...what a difference!

I'm at 75 now myself...feeling pretty good...sleepy during the day.....a bit of word loss but probably not any worse than with the alcohol. And Like you I feel pretty free Journey...it is a good feeling!

Comment

Hello All, sorry.... been out of pocket.

As for going up on the dosage, I was heading for the 300mg that is recommended moving up at about three weeks intervals when my body was adjusted. This time I think I'll just stay where I'm most comfortable, about 150 mg and up the cds and exercise.

Stress wise I'd have to lay it at the job...changes in position, lots of uproar and chaos. Hmm...just like yesterday. Need to find a better way to deal with it than wine.

Gloria

Comment

Working...
                                X