Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update from Juan (Baclofen)

Hey Everybody-

I have been thinking of all of you and lurking a bit here and there. An update is long overdue, I know. (Thanks for the nudge by the way Skull.) So I am still taking bac- down to 50mg now. I have been tapering off very slowly for the past 9 months, looking for the lowest effective dose and wondering if I might be able to come off completely. I expect cravings to return with each drop, but so far so good. I switched over a year ago and *almost* can’t remember what it’s like to crave booze.

I did try to have a few beers one night after getting frustrated about some issues I was having with AA and the sponsor I was trying to work with at the time… it was a rebellion of sorts. I enjoyed a couple of beers while grilling on the barbeque, but then I sort of slipped into my old habit of sitting in the living room with the lights low, listening to music. Before I knew it, I had polished off a six-pack and began entertaining thoughts about riding my bike up to the liquor store for more. I went to bed instead. The next morning I had a nasty hangover and a firm desire to not drink anymore. That old habit is obviously still hard-wired somewhere in my brain, so I am going to respect that and let it be. I think I am up to 9 months AF again.

I have been through the gamut this past year, like many of you. I have experienced PAWS intermittently and had some rough bouts with depression. I started an AD a couple of months ago which seems to be helping quite a bit. Learning how to feel things and interact with people has been the hardest part of my recovery. It’s getting better as time goes by. I have been working with a counselor off and on and doing couples therapy with my wife. I also started practicing mindfulness meditation a bit, along with exercising regularly (weightlifting, bicycling and running), which probably does the most for me in terms of improving physical and mental well-being.

So I am sober and life is good!

Comment

I agree, Cass. Thanks for the bright side. Interesting, too, that exercise is such a mainstay for people who do well and stay well.

Juan! Nice to see you and read that you are doing well!

I've had a couple of those times when alcohol seems to work, and I start to slip into that space of comfort and numbness. Guess what? Even that doesn't work. :H And yes, the hangovers make the whole experiment not worth it. God, they suck. And we used to live like that! So glad you're free from it.

Congratulations. :l

Comment

Juan BH;1692401 wrote: Hey Everybody-

I have been thinking of all of you and lurking a bit here and there. An update is long overdue, I know. (Thanks for the nudge by the way Skull.) So I am still taking bac- down to 50mg now. I have been tapering off very slowly for the past 9 months, looking for the lowest effective dose and wondering if I might be able to come off completely. I expect cravings to return with each drop, but so far so good. I switched over a year ago and *almost* can?t remember what it?s like to crave booze.

I did try to have a few beers one night after getting frustrated about some issues I was having with AA and the sponsor I was trying to work with at the time? it was a rebellion of sorts. I enjoyed a couple of beers while grilling on the barbeque, but then I sort of slipped into my old habit of sitting in the living room with the lights low, listening to music. Before I knew it, I had polished off a six-pack and began entertaining thoughts about riding my bike up to the liquor store for more. I went to bed instead. The next morning I had a nasty hangover and a firm desire to not drink anymore. That old habit is obviously still hard-wired somewhere in my brain, so I am going to respect that and let it be. I think I am up to 9 months AF again.

I have been through the gamut this past year, like many of you. I have experienced PAWS intermittently and had some rough bouts with depression. I started an AD a couple of months ago which seems to be helping quite a bit. Learning how to feel things and interact with people has been the hardest part of my recovery. It?s getting better as time goes by. I have been working with a counselor off and on and doing couples therapy with my wife. I also started practicing mindfulness meditation a bit, along with exercising regularly (weightlifting, bicycling and running), which probably does the most for me in terms of improving physical and mental well-being.

So I am sober and life is good!
        Hi again!

Gotta love the idea that spam brought you back :H

I'm glad you are doing well Juan. Some of us had tread on rocky ground recently. The nice thing about Bac is that it's still there after we mess up. I'm glad you've come back to share what you've been doing. It does help. Or, we can just let the spammers dredge up old threads!

I had paws, anxiety, the works after my switch. I think that's why I tapered off Bac. I suggest not going off completely, but that's up to you. You can always go back on. I thought life would be all roses getting sober, but life was life, only harder sober. That's when the work comes in.

:thanks:

Sam

Comment

Oh, and thanks for the Bac! Between you and a fellow MWO friend I'm good to go for a while.

Comment

Working...
          X