My Antabuse plan - advice appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, my Antabuse arrived yesterday from Goldpharma. I'm really, very excited - but nervous too.

It is my intention to stay on this drug for at least a couple of months, until I hopefully feel in a strong enough place to avoid alcohol without it.

I am quite nervous though - its going to signal a complete change of my entire life. A good change, no doubt about that - but I guess us humans tend to be a little resistant to change, whatever the end result.

I shall take the first tomorrow, when I'm sure I have no alcohol left in my system.

I imagine my new routine will enable me to fully participate in my new life, instead of just counting the hours until I pour my first drink.

I imagine being able to watch tv or read a book, without having to re-watch or re-read the following day - having been unable to focus with alcohol in my system

I imagine being able to go to the gym in the evening and getting fit, strong and slim - instead of slumping on the sofa, eating crap and drinking crap, getting more and more podgy every day

I imagine feeling confident that, when the phone rings, I can answer it and conduct a cohesive conversation - instead of letting it go to answerphone, for fear of slurring and talking rubbish

I imagine lying in bed, in my clean and snuggly pjs, having brushed my teeth and cleansed and moisturised my face - instead of waking up on the sofa at some ungodly hour, staggering up to bed and falling, fully clothed, into my pit.

Oh yeah, the real biggy - being able to check the 'sent' messages on my phone or facebook account without cringing at the utter crap I've sent or posted the night before!!

Please, if anyone reading this has had success with antabuse, and believes that this new, wonderful life is a possibility for me, I would be so grateful if you could share your experience. It would give me so much hope and I'd find it so motivating.

Thank you

mycall;1527262 wrote: I imagine lying in bed, in my clean and snuggly pjs, having brushed my teeth and cleansed and moisturised my face - instead of waking up on the sofa at some ungodly hour, staggering up to bed and falling, fully clothed, into my pit.
    Yep. It's just like that.

Well... you'll see. Seriously, though, being sober--whether by force (Antabuse) or choice or even with baclofen--still takes some getting used to.

I recommend posting on this thread:

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...ion-44427.html

Please for the love of God Almighty don't try to read the whole thing. Just pop in and say hi. There are several women there who've been using AB off and on to be sober, or in some cases to manage their drinking and limit it to just the weekends.

There's also the "Abstinence Challenge" thread, where we're just kind of having a bit of fun while not drinking--which isn't all that fun...

Comment

mycall,

:welcome: to AB.

I, too, use Antabuse to help me stay abstinent. I am over 90 days sober after many years of trying to stay sober, three rehabs, multiple relapses, etc, etc.

It is an awesome tool.

As you begin your journey, you may want to consider what other things you would like to do in order to ensure your success long term.

I go to AA, I have a counselor and a psychiatrist (she is the one who prescribes my AB.)

I am working on other areas of my life to fill the void left by no longer drinking.

Check out the newbies nest and the tool box.

I wish you much success and happiness with your sobriety.

Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Hello mycall seems we are pretty much at the same stage.
        I took my first pill this morning and for the first time in along time I didn't rush home to have a drink after a long day debating whether to have a drink or not. I still thought about it but in a different way if that makes sense. I also think about how life would be without this awful habit and it looks pretty good to me. I am sure I will have my bad days but then I have plenty of them while still drinking. I will keep an eye out for your posts and good luck
        Its easier not to start than stop

Comment

Hi guys... just thought I'd post here and wish you guys luck with Antabuse. Do read up on these forums about the potential risks and SE's- I, and others, have posted alot about the strengths and the potential harms of it. I do believe it can be a great tool-- just be very deliberate and very smart about what you take into your system.
          Best of luck
          Skullbaby

Comment

Working...
          X