Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting my Wisdom Teeth taken out on HDB

Hi everybody,

Been a long time since I've posted or even checked around here, just been smooth sailing for me. Hit my switch at 220mg Feburary '12, kept going up at Dr. L's advice, tapered down from 350-ish at the peak to a 240/day dose (with a dip down to 140 that didn't work for me), which I take as 80-80-80 at 7a-1p-7p (ideally). Pretty minimal side effects if any, and works great for me. I still drink casually, but generally just a couple beers a couple times a week. I occasionally go out and drink more than that, but always get tired and cut it off, and most importantly don't feel like drinking in the morning (I was a binger back in my heavy drinking days). Anyway, just wanted to give a little backstory of where I'm at before I broach the following question. Oh, and apologies I know there's gotta be posts about this, I was searching the forum for an hour trying to find what I was looking for, I gave up and just decided to repost. So thanks for your patience, and feel free to link me to an old post if this has been covered extensively.

I'm going to get oral surgery to get all 4 wisdom teeth taken out. I'm concerned about a) anesthesia - could swear I read something about interactions, but couldn't seem to find it this morning. b) Vicodin - which the doctor has prescribed me already, so I know that's what the post op painkiller will be. As far as the general drug interaction look ups you'll find on the web go, this combination is just registered as 'be careful' 'increased drowsiness' 'risk of respiratory depression' - same as baclofen and alcohol and baclofen and xanax (.25mg, prescribed by Dr. L), which in small to reasonable doses I've never had any issues with (other than increased drowsiness for sure, but I know several people not on HDB who say xanax puts them out too).

Does anybody have any experience with getting surgery on HDB? Any posts or articles I need to look at? Any info on either anesthesia interactions or painkiller interactions? I could opt to do the surgery with just local anesthetic I believe, so that's an option if that's the only issue - also I suppose I could titrate off baclofen for a couple months, but that would certainly be a pain in the ass. It would probably take me 5 months total to go down and get back up.

Any information or experiences would be much appreciated. It's nice to see a lot of the same people posting, and remember that I'm not alone doing this treatment, although truth be told at a year and a half after I hit my switch at 220 it's become such a part of my life I don't even think about that much - except when it comes to potential drug interactions. There are lots of little things I wonder about and have experienced lately in regards to baclofen though, maybe I should start a thread and get posting again for awhile.

Thanks!

As far as I know, baclofen has no interactions with anesthesia.

There were indeed some threads about it, but I can't remember it right away neither.

I'm going to look for you.
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Comment

Found it:

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...sia-71820.html
      Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Comment

I had my appendix out last Jan. on 220mg/day of bac and was just completely honest about it with with everyone. They had me on morphine, general anesthesia obviously, and other pain killers and everything seemed to go fine. The only weird thing that happened is that my blood oxygen kept dropping below 90% so i had to be on oxygen for a while, but no reason to think that was because of the bac. Also came home with Vicodin and the ol' Dr. L .25mg of Xanax and just took it really easy (as in no more than 1-2 vicodin per 5 hours as directed) with no problems.

I did find out in my follow-up with my family doctor that apparently my baclofen use was the 'talk of the hospital' for a few days. Whatever. When it comes to prescription medicine and surgery I'm going to be 100% honest with all medical staff whether they like it or whether it's legal. Surviving surgery and living AF is much more important to me than what they think about me or what the FDA says. All my research points to my baclofen use being perfectly safe so I'm not going to sweat it. Hope your surgery goes well!

Comment

Thanks, chigg - that definitely puts my mind ease. I too was completely honest about the baclofen, why I was on it, etc. and the oral surgeon didn't seem to think it would be an issue, but I just wanted to cover my bases and get a second opinion from my main doctor, and check with the community and see if anybody had any direct experiences. Looking like it's going to be okay.

Comment

Working...
          X