Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gabapentin

spiritwolf333;1603696 wrote:
    Colin -In reading some of your other posts I noticed that you already are taking gabapentin. Just wondering if the gabapentin has helped you? (or maybe it is a misunderstanding on my part). Thanks.
    For the last couple of months I've been on 3600 mg per day for nerve pains and never noticed any effect on craving because for the last 20 months I have never had any cravings. Baclofen has done everything I hoped for. If I can now safely take a lower dose of baclofen due to the gabapentin then the side effects might be a lesser problem.

I regularly visit a psychatrist and his main concern is the possibility of serotonin syndrome. For this reason and with his knowledge I halved the citalopram dose.

Yesterday I altered the gabap dose from 1800 in the morning and the rest spread evenly over the day to 3x1200 mg at 9.00, 16.00 and 22.00. In the evening I went to a couple of bars with the intention of drinking 2 litres of 5% beer but didn't bother with the last glass. This establishes a safe point that I can return to. I'll stay on this regime for a week or so in case there are any delayed reactions.

The next step is to reduce the baclofen to an unsafe level or until the SEs disappear.

Thank you for drawing attention to the beneficial link between gabapentin and alcoholism.

Comment

Gabapentin

Let us know how reducing the baclofen works.

I'm going home today. I'm going to go ahead and call myself out and try the abstinence challenge for 30 days just to see how it feels... Or to see if I can even do it. I tried all the different drinking on gabapentin, so i need to be a good test subject and try abstinence . I feel pretty hungover right now. Gonna shower and eat and hope that does the trick.
      When you're riding in a time machine way far into the future, don't stick your elbow out the window, or it'll turn into a fossil.

Comment

Gabapentin

@colin -thanks for the information. Looking forward to reading the feedback from you and JD regarding gabapentin.

Baclofen has performed a miracle for me. I sometimes wonder why I keep looking at advances in medicines for alcoholism except that I know that baclofen would not exist unless someone (Dr. A) had kept trying to find something better. Baclofen is great but I am just not so sure how I can continue long term at differing doses.

Perhaps Gabapentin offers a more straightforward dosing regime with fewer side effects?

Comment

Gabapentin

I had said my doc wasn't going to keep doing bac for me. I don't think I said he told me it should be a temporary thing. He didn't say either way with gabapentin, so I will ask. But look, that may be a doctor not having full knowledge of bac for alcoholism. You know we get down on docs a lot, but also need to understand that they don't really have data at their disposal. It seems every time something helps with alcoholism, it gets real quiet about it soon after. I read a lot about bac, then the news kind of got silent. Personally I am of the conspiracy minded people. It seems it is good business to have jails full. U could debate the cost analysis and what not, but why is it taking so long to come up with a cure for something that would help millions of people. It seems a cure for alcoholism would be huuuuuuuuge dollars for drug companies. That's another conspiracy...these older pills with generics being offered are no longer money makers. Anyways... Rant rant rant.
          When you're riding in a time machine way far into the future, don't stick your elbow out the window, or it'll turn into a fossil.

Comment

Gabapentin

Give your doc this:- Suppression of Alcohol Dependence Using Baclofen: A 2-Year Observational Study of 100 Patients That should persuade him that HDB is a very good approach.

Comment

Gabapentin

He googled some studies....prob didn't find that one. U know dude. I don't feel very calm. I think I'm going to talk to him about a low dose of bac. I'm interested in how those will work together now. Anyways, the first few days of abstinence are going to be easy because I'm down with the flu. All I want to do is cover myself up then uncover myself then cover myself......

Comment

Gabapentin

Ok ok. Fine ill drink for New Years since u all r twisting my arm. U really don't have to beg me.

Comment

Gabapentin

Can y'all tell me more about your gabapentin experiences please? My Dr. prescribed it for me to take at 300mg, twice a day.

I'm a 40 year alcoholic and have used both naltrexone and topamax They work for about a year and then I drink. Even though my life is so much better when I'm AL free.

I've had really bad anxiety and depression for 40 years and I found out early on how AL helps anxiety, short term of course.

Thanks.
                  Noelle sez "Do want you like, like what you do. Life is Good."

Comment

Gabapentin

Scripps research finds gabapentin effective in treating alcohol dependence ? Oxbridge Biotech

Comment

Gabapentin

Thanks for the link. However I was more looking for personal experiences on here, KWIM? I've been reading and reading all the posts here and y'all have been so concise in your posts. I've never seen that much here and I've been on this site a long time. Thanks 'cause it's been very interesting and has really helped me.....at least I hope it does. Like has been said elsewhere, I wonder sometimes if I really WANT to stop drinking. I can be a real idiot sometimes. Or most of the time? :H

Comment

Gabapentin

No real alcoholic or addict "wants" to quit. It's just the only way of living they know at the moment they are living.

Comment

Gabapentin

And Noelle, thanks for stopping in. We are in need of experience and input from a Raven's fan and a naltrexone success story.

Comment

Gabapentin

Umm Spirit, not a Ravens fan at all. :no: I was briefly last year as respect for my beloved FIL who passed away. I'm a true Steelers fan.

I was prescribed gabapentin to help me stop drinking long term, along with Topomax which has worked for me in the past.

I'm not sure when I want to start those. I haven't been drinking disastrously lately. I guess I need some kind of push, which will probably come no later than February when we have to drive to Florida to help my Mother and her husband relocate to assisted living. I'll need whatever help I can get for that. My Mother and I do not get along plus the fact that she's going to be 88 and I believe has some dementia issues. Not a good combo.

I've been seeing all the SE for gabapentin on various searches, which I don't normally do. They kinda freak me out so that's why I was asking y'all what your experiences were. So thanks for any info you can give me.

Btw, I may be old but I certainly don't act, feel or look my age. My real persona is up in the attic. :H

Comment

Gabapentin

Hi Noelle -never thought for a minute that this was your first rodeo regarding mwo or alcohol. Sorry to hear about your FIL. It was always the Steelers and/or GreenBay when I was growing up (Not the Falcons -lol)

Regarding the Gabapentin, I keep reading some really positive information. I have not searched for nor found the negative se you speak re gabap.

Did you ever correspond with "Quiescent" back in the early days? From what I can find, she appears to have the first person on MWO to move forward with baclofen. (Her thread is dated 08-02-2006)

thanks

Comment

Gabapentin

No, I don't remember Quiescent. I don't think our paths have crossed. Although it could be I don't remember. I don't have the best of memories. :H

Comment

Working...
                                X