Baclofen Wikipedia wars!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baclofen Wikipedia wars!

Otter;1621083 wrote: I just went back to the beginning of the medications threads. There was no mention of baclofen at all for a long time and the drugs which were being mentioned have pretty much dropped out of site. Baclofen has emerged as the clear winner in terms of use and success. I looked at my own early posts. They don't convey a fraction of the terror I was going through at the time. I was desperate to find a treatment, a doctor and help in prescribing.

Now I have a completely different life. We live a booze free life. Instead of me trying to work while being a full time nurse and alcohol counselor to a woman on deaths door, my wife now does our financial dealings, looks after the house and is enjoying her sobriety.

Five years ago I never imagined a way out of it. Baclofen isn't just a treatment, it is a wonder drug. Alcoholism is, in my opinion, worse than heroin addiction and harder to break so to find such a powerful and effective treatment that is so cheap and so easy to administer is one of the most significant medical discoveries...ever!

That is probably why it is not taking off, because people are so jaded these days that if you say there is a modern miracle taking place in medicine, they just don't believe that is possible.

Anyway, that's just me rambling.
    Ramble away, Otter! Its all good.
    With profound appreciation to Dr Olivier Ameisen for his brilliant insight and courageous determination

Comment

Baclofen Wikipedia wars!

Otter;1621066 wrote: Cass,

I think in the US, the legal position is that alcoholism is not an illness although the American Bar Associaton says it is. It's not a great starting point.
      (and American Medical Association)

The problem in my opinion is that everyone drinks so most people, who are not alcoholics, use their own experience to judge the situation and feel that if they can stop then so can anyone.

The spread of information about this treatment is key because a double blind trial is not necessary before doctors prescribe but concern by insurers that doctors could be exposed to liability could make then require doctors to consider prescribing if they got the sense that people could start asking why their doctors had not prescribed baclofen years ago. (Cass has stated this several times before -I think?) Also, as my doctor in Savannah stated, most doctors here in the USA or too afraid to prescribe a drug off label and especially prescribing in excess of maximum dosage recommendations. Too much non-insured liability according to him.

Is there any other area where doctors have been held liable for not picking up on a treatment and their patients have suffered needlessly?
      Otter;1621083 wrote:
      I looked at my own early posts. They don't convey a fraction of the terror I was going through at the time. I was desperate to find a treatment, a doctor and help in prescribing.
      -OTTER -I MORE THAN UNDERSTAND THIS CIRCUMSTANCE -IT WAS ABSOULTLY BRUTAL AS HELL IN THE BEGINING FOR ME TO TRY AND FIND A TREATMENT*DOCTOR. I NOW FEEL THAT I WAS EXTREMELY LUCKY-HOWEVER I WAS ALSO DESPERATE AND PERSISTANT.

Now I have a completely different life. We live a booze free life. Instead of me trying to work while being a full time nurse and alcohol counselor to a woman on deaths door, my wife now does our financial dealings, looks after the house and is enjoying her sobriety.

Five years ago I never imagined a way out of it. Baclofen isn't just a treatment, it is a wonder drug. Alcoholism is, in my opinion, worse than heroin addiction and harder to break so to find such a powerful and effective treatment that is so cheap and so easy to administer is one of the most significant medical discoveries...ever!

That is probably why it is not taking off, because people are so jaded these days that if you say there is a modern miracle taking place in medicine, they just don't believe that is possible.

Anyway, that's just me rambling.

Hi Otter -Please let me first say that your valuable information in your posts probably go unrecognized and underappreciated by some (many) members. They just don't understand your true purpose and total effort -in my opinion. In fact, there are a few other members of this forum who are -by trade- professionals in your same industry. I have thought for a long time how tragic it would be to lose members like you simply because you have to put up with less than legitimate conversations. We NEED support from people who are able to move the baclofen-medicine forward.

Also, earlier you had made a post baclofen availability in the UK -Scottish situation. Well, curiosity drove me to look up the Williamwood Health Centre in Clarkston -just to see what/who they were all about. After doing so, I saw a referral to a news article regarding a "new" finding with stem cells. Now, if anyone is interest in seeing/reading something that is about to change "our world as we know it" then they must read about this NEW DISCOVERY.
      This is not only going to positively effect diseases like cancer, but will also do the same for brain diseases.

Thank you for the thread. I only wish it were under a different title name.

Comment

Baclofen Wikipedia wars!

Hi Otter,

I think I like all that you are trying to achieve for Bac treatment for alcohol addiction in Europe. and other regions.
        I say I think, because your final statement on your first post just gives me the creeps

Otter;1621000 wrote:
        All I can say is that I am glad I don't live in Vancouver and need medical treatment if that is the standard of those who teach doctors and they rely on Wikipedia to teach them.
        And I can only imagine what a Professor in Medicine would make of that!

What medical profession would rely on Wikipedia to teach their students? Actually what profession would ever rely on standards handed out by Wikipedia?

Pardon?
        What?

Comment

Baclofen Wikipedia wars!

Oh and Spirit, your CAPITALISING, highlighting and making bold your own and quoted posts of others really really REALLY shits me!

I have asked you before, but will ask you again, as I never got an answer the first time: Why do you find that so necessary? People read your posts anyway (then again if you keep all this up, I may now start bypassing your posts).Why?

Comment

Baclofen Wikipedia wars!

MissIndygo;1621792 wrote: Oh and Spirit, your CAPITALISING, highlighting and making bold your own and quoted posts of others really really REALLY shits me!
            Maybe an exaggeration Miss I but it's certainly irritating.

Comment

Baclofen Wikipedia wars!

MissIndygo;1621792 wrote: Oh and Spirit, your CAPITALISING, highlighting and making bold your own and quoted posts of others really really REALLY shits me!

Why?
              Hi Indy -thanks for the suggestion. In my former alcoholic days, I would have starting highlighting and bold facing all words after reading your post. These days, I find it much more healthy to accept when I am wrong, admit this, and move on. Now, having been told about over dramatizing posts by several members, I have decided to stop highlighting/resizing. (Don't want to lose your readership -my

Colin;1621837 wrote:
              Maybe an exaggeration Miss I but it's certainly irritating.
              Thanks Colin and the red highlight was great. Helped me to see my own crap -as Indy stated.

Well, nothing like a public stoning. I fully admit that I have been wrong in changing the appearance of 4 posts by others (only on my repost of course). These posts were/are meaningful to me and I was only trying to express that through highlighting. Now that I look at it from your point of view and read my altered posts, I see exactly what you are saying -extremely aggravating -but I meant no harm.

Thank you for pointing this out to me and I will change my ways
              . I would like to suggest that an Email or PM to me would have been a much more appreciated and respectful way to get my attention; -WHO did it REALLY serve or help to point out my obvious flaw -openly and publicly? Guess I will go back into hiding-lol, but almost true.

Comment

Baclofen Wikipedia wars!

hey spirit, nothing wrong with highlighting a good post and commenting on the positive aspects. it always made me feel good when you did that with mine. maybe employ the same strategy but just bold the lines so they stand out. different color schemes can play havoc with the eyes.
                01-01-2014 - Indifference reached, success with high dose Baclofen 295mg.

Baclofen prescribing guide

Baclofen for alcoholism - Consolidated Information - Studies, prescribing guides, links

Comment

Baclofen Wikipedia wars!

spirit, Also i wanted to comment on what you touched on. I think Otter and TerryK are some of the most important contributors to this forum and i always learn so much when they post. we need more people like them and i hope they don't go away.
                  01-01-2014 - Indifference reached, success with high dose Baclofen 295mg.

Baclofen prescribing guide

Baclofen for alcoholism - Consolidated Information - Studies, prescribing guides, links

Comment

Baclofen Wikipedia wars!

neophyte;1621935 wrote: hey spirit, nothing wrong with highlighting a good post and commenting on the positive aspects. it always made me feel good when you did that with mine. maybe employ the same strategy but just bold the lines so they stand out. different color schemes can play havoc with the eyes.
                    neophyte;1621939 wrote:
                    spirit, Also i wanted to comment on what you touched on. I think Otter and TerryK are some of the most important contributors to this forum and i always learn so much when they post. we need more people like them and i hope they don't go away.
                    Thank You NEO -good suggestions and I think I will stick to the bold face changes -if for nothing else, bold face helps me to see my important facts quicker.

And yes, I agree, when these two post, I always believe that I am about to read some solid technical information regarding baclofen-recovery science/technical issues.

Comment

Baclofen Wikipedia wars!

You're right Spirit I should have send you a pm.
                      Sorry.

Comment

Working...
                      X