Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

would like to come off as quick as possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Wes, sorry you are suffering.

The usual advice is to try and push past with the dose, however I like you suffered greatly with baclofen and the relief was immense when I stopped taking it. The following is from my experience and is not to be taken in lieu of medical advice.

When I quit baclofen I had used it for around 4 months, going up to a dose of 180mg. I dropped fairly quickly, went down to I think 120, 80, 60, 40 in around 4-5 days. On the 40 day I had a moment where I felt strange so I popped a 10 or 20mg dose(can't remember which), and was fine after that. Other anecdotal posts suggest 4 days in is the day when you tend to feel the drop. I was down to 20mg by the 7th day and it took around another 4 days for the sides to dissipate, some of the sides seemed to hang around for about another month(strange thoughts if I though about it), but the physical were gone after 4 days at 20mg.

I think you should be ok tapering down over a couple of weeks, but make sure you have some doses to hand just in case and if in doubt get medical attention.
    I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Hi Wes. I recently had a similar question - if you look up my topic you can read all the advice I received in this forum, it was (slightly melodramatically) called 'Trapped in baclofen nightmare, please help!' - so yes, I know what you're going through.

In my case, I had tapered up to 70mg over the course of about two and a half weeks. After taking advice from this forum, I did a fairly rapid taper to zero over the course of about 10 days - so I was on the bac for a month in total.

I had been feeling pretty rough at 70, and I found that dropping the dose to 30mg alleviated many of my side effects - I then dropped down from there, had one or two bad days along the way but overall it wasn't too bad. Once I hit zero, I had maybe 3-4 days of continuing to feel bad (maybe worse) after finishing the bac, then overnight I felt better and have felt completely normal since then.

I'm not a doctor and this isn't medical advice, but in my case it was possible to do a fairly rapid taper. Some people say you can quit cold turkey if you're less than two months in, but in my case I had to get through some stressful times at work and tapering seemed less scary than the risk of going into withdrawals.

Good luck whatever you decide to do, and remember you'll feel a lot better soon - as my grandma always says 'this too shall pass'

Comment

I wouldn't want to go cold turkey, though you probably could without seizures or anything. Try dropping 20 or even 30mg and hang there for 4 days. Then drop another 20. When you get down to 20 or 30mg/day, give that a couple days and you can stop from there. Watch out for feelings of depression or weird negative thoughts. They go away, but can be intense at the time. EDIT this isn't advice or an expert opinion, just what I would do.

Comment

wes;1686506 wrote: Hi.
          I've been using baclofen for 4 weeks on Friday. I've taken my time and and have made it to 110mg. Tbh I've been have some success but I just can't deal with the SEs. This is gonna sound strange and I don't want to sound like a troll but its basically mental torture.

I know your not medical doctors but could I get a bit of advice on how quickly I could get off this? Is a cold turkey from being under 100 from 4 weeks be pushing I?

I have benzos if needs be.

Thanks agaim
          wes, if you can stick it out, the side effects will go away with time, after 2-3 months they were gone completely, im on 300mg, so i know how tough it is going up. The only side effect i get is that i go cross eyed easily when I'm tired.
          01-01-2014 - Indifference reached, success with high dose Baclofen 295mg.

Baclofen prescribing guide

Baclofen for alcoholism - Consolidated Information - Studies, prescribing guides, links

Comment

Just thought I'd check in. I stupidly started to drink for a few days last week and to say things got worse is an understatement. Jesus the last few days have been hard. I'm nearly right off the baclofen and hope to be up and about by next week. I'm basically house risen in a mess.

I had such high hopes and was doing well but I think I might have some underlying mental issues that the drug brought up. A theory I have is that I've gone through benzo withdrawal more times than I Care to remember and and even small amounts now throw me out of wack. They really done a number on me and I've been through some pretty hard times on and coming off of them.

I have constant thoughts going through my head which can get totally out of control. I know the two drugs work on separate gaba receptors but I'm convinced that its something to do with the way I started to react to baclofen. Thanks for all the replays, they helped. Its just good to get a bit of reassurance when tripping out. I don't usually like to go onllimr when sick as most advice is way over the top and can just make you worse.

The battle goes on I guess.

Comment

Working...
            X