No announcement yet.

Phenibut for alcohol withdrawal and cravings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ended up going back to 500 mg/day for a while. I'd take the whole dose as soon as I got home from work, then I'd go do a second workout for the day. By the time I finished the workout, took a shower, and cooked dinner, the effects were kicking in and I wasn't craving alcohol.

I decided to try life without phenibut. I never wanted this to be a long term thing. I tapered down from 500 mg/day down to 0 as of yesterday. It was uncomfortable at times, but the withdrawal never got that bad. Yesterday was probably the worst day, going from 50 mg to 0. Today wasn't bad at all.

I've made major changes in my life this year. I broke the habit of having a drink right when I get home from work. I don't wake up and drink to get back to sleep anymore. I don't drink in the morning before work, and I don't drink on breaks at work like I was doing for a while. I'm doing better in my career and I'm healthier than I was a few months ago. I've dropped 30 pounds, partly from drinking less and partly from working out and sticking to a strict diet.

My plan now is to get through the last of this phenibut withdrawal and take a break from alcohol. I want to get back to not drinking at all during the week and having just a little on the weekends. I've done that before for years at a time. I feel like I'm almost there, with no assistance from other drugs.

Stability was a big thing for me in terms of breaking the old habits. I've taken a break from dating for the last few months, since that seems to be one of the things that leads me to alcohol. I start dating a girl, some drama happens, and I use that as an excuse to get drunk and cover up my feelings. I need to start dating again at some point. I just need to be careful and remember how things got out of control last year.

I have plenty of baclofen and phenibut here if things get out of control again. I would like to avoid them if possible.

Comment

Phenibut indeed does work but then like anything and everything out there, there is two sides to everything. I did try it a couple of times and initially it worked pretty well. But then I increased the dosage slightly, there was a slight pain towards the liver area after which I stopped taking it. I guess it is really bad for liver and hence decided to opt for an alternate method for overcoming alcohol addiction. That changed my life in a positive way, providing me the ground to have a sustainable recovery and I found it extremely relaxing as well since there were no side effects involved.

Comment

It's noon on a Saturday, and I'm drunk again. Damn it. I'm not drinking at work anymore, but I'm having occasional slipups like this in my free time. Maybe it's time to try baclofen.

What is the alternative method for overcoming alcohol addiction? The link goes to a drug rehab site in Canada. I'd prefer to do this kind of thing on my own if possible.

Comment

Just noticed this thread. I've tried phenibut a number of times and it is far and away the dirtiest drug I've ever took. I felt like absolute shit on it and for a day or after if. It beggars believe how anyone could find it a replacement for alcohol. It's like Baclofens dirty sister.

The dosing curve is nearly impossible to get the hang of and tolerance builds like you would not believe. Seriously, if it's to try and stop drinking and not for the buzz, get yourself some Baclofens guys.

Comment

I ended up taking 500 mg of phenibut and sobering up (drinking wise) for the second half of the day. I had a pot cookie (legal in California), got decently high, and had an enjoyable evening with an ex gf. I still love her in a way. Weed has never been and will never be a negative influence in my life. I get high pretty much every weekend, but never during the week when I have to work the next day. It's not something I crave or have at inappropriate times, like alcohol.

Phenibut is a dirty drug that makes me feel like absolute shit when I take it in recreational amounts. I did that a few times a long time ago. 3 grams feels fun for a little while, then it's the shittiest longest lasting hangover ever. Low doses (a gram a day or less) don't seem so bad. It kills or greatly reduces my cravings for alcohol. It causes physical dependence, but it's not that hard to taper off.

I'm thinking of getting back on phenibut for a while. I just tapered off and quit a couple weeks ago, but the alcohol cravings came back. Baclofen might be better, I don't know. Phenibut is what I'm familiar with right now.

Comment

So, I've gotten back to drinking every night. I can keep it to 2 or 3 drinks a night with willpower, but it's a constant struggle. I start feeling good and I want to drink more. This is never a problem when I'm drinking with friends. It's different when I'm home alone with nothing to do.

I'm thinking about getting back on phenibut and trying an actual break from alcohol. I say "break" because I still don't want to give it up for good. I think my problems with the cravings coming back were partly from continuing to drink on phenibut. Even if it wasn't that much. Maybe low dose phenibut + not drinking at all would be a better plan.

Comment

it's not a good idea to take phenibut daily to reduce cravings for alcohol, tolerance builds with phenibut and dependence sets in. I've been dependent on phenibut before and its not plesant, though easy to taper off and nothing compared too benzodiazepine dependence. Why don't you give baclofen a shot? Though baclofen will diminish the euphoria from alcohol greatly if your goal is just moderation...
                01-01-2014 - Indifference reached, success with high dose Baclofen 295mg.

Baclofen prescribing guide

Baclofen for alcoholism - Consolidated Information - Studies, prescribing guides, links

Comment

Doesn't baclofen have the same issues with dependence? My goal is still moderation, but I'm going to try drinking much less frequently this time. Not phenibut and a couple drinks every night.

I'm back on phenibut, 750 mg/day. Today is my 3rd day alcohol free. Tomorrow's Friday, but I'm not going to use that as an excuse to drink anymore.

I'm going to Vegas for my birthday in a couple weeks. I'm planning on having maybe a beer or two there with a friend. After that I'll take another break from alcohol for a while. I'd like to get to the point where it's an occasional thing with friends, not what I automatically do after work every day.

Comment

I think it's time to quit keeping alcohol in the house. I was changing channels on tv tonight, and I saw some show about wine making. I remembered I have a nice bottle of red wine in the kitchen...

I didn't drink any, but there's no reason to have the temptation around. I'll give that bottle to a friend at work tomorrow. If I have guests or a date over at some point, I'll pick up a bottle of wine or a 6 pack of beer. There's no reason to have it around all the time when I'm making this change in my life.

Comment

Numbers 3 and 4 are the only things I've noticed with phenibut. I've read that other people crave it and take it irresponsibly, but that's not an issue for me. I have zero desire to take it recreationally or even increase the dose.

I weigh every dose with a milligram scale. Right now I'm taking 250 mg in the morning and 500 mg in the evening. Tapering off is easy when you have exact control over the doses. I tapered off with 50 mg increments last time, but there's no reason why you couldn't taper off 10 mg at a time. It would just take longer. I had no phenibut cravings when I tapered off last time. I just noticed the alcohol cravings coming back, probably because I was still drinking.

How is it possible for baclofen to not produce a tolerance effect when taken a few times a day? I feel somewhat certain that 300 mg/day of baclofen would be way too much for a new user. I've read people work their way up to that over time.

Comment

I tried higher doses of phenibut in the past as a recreational thing. I didn't like it at all. Higher doses don't feel good to me the way alcohol does. I think that's why I never craved it. A little container sat in the closet for years before I tried it to cut back on drinking.

My earlier attempt at cutting back was flawed. I'd tell myself I'll only have 1 glass of wine that day, and I'll wait until 8. I'd keep thinking about it, checking the clock, waiting for 8 so I could have the glass of wine. I did manage to cut back, a lot, but there was still the occasional binge where I had way too much.

Not drinking is simpler. I tell myself I'm not drinking today, and I don't think about it. No cravings or anything. It's only a challenge for the first couple days. Not drinking every night and not even having alcohol in the house makes it easier.

I've decided to taper off phenibut again. It has been very useful to me as a way to break the cycle of drinking too much, then continuing to drink to avoid withdrawal. I don't want to keep taking it for months as a maintenance type thing.

Alcohol wasn't a problem for me in my 20s or early 30s. It only became a problem in recent years in my late 30s. I'm about to turn 40. I want to be done with this so I can enjoy my 40s and not spend all my time drinking or thinking about alcohol.

Comment

I've been away for a while.

I tapered off phenibut again last month. This time at 100 mg/day to get it over with faster. The alcohol cravings came back to some degree, but it felt different this time. I had finally gotten back in the habit of not drinking during the week. It wasn't terribly difficult to stick to that habit.

For the past few weeks, I've been having a few beers on a Saturday night and that's it. Not drinking after work at night, not drinking all weekend and feeling like death on Monday. This was how it used to be for me. This was my goal. I go home after work now and feel comfortable and happy without alcohol.

I went to Costco this afternoon on my lunch break. I almost automatically went to the liquor section. Then I realized I don't need to buy a case of beer and a bunch of bottles of booze. I'm out, I have no beer or liquor at home, but I don't need it anymore. This was my first trip to Costco that I can remember where I didn't buy alcohol.

Comment

True Progress

Originally posted by m314 View Post
                            I've been away for a while.

I tapered off phenibut again last month. This time at 100 mg/day to get it over with faster. The alcohol cravings came back to some degree, but it felt different this time. I had finally gotten back in the habit of not drinking during the week. It wasn't terribly difficult to stick to that habit.

For the past few weeks, I've been having a few beers on a Saturday night and that's it. Not drinking after work at night, not drinking all weekend and feeling like death on Monday. This was how it used to be for me. This was my goal. I go home after work now and feel comfortable and happy without alcohol.

I went to Costco this afternoon on my lunch break. I almost automatically went to the liquor section. Then I realized I don't need to buy a case of beer and a bunch of bottles of booze. I'm out, I have no beer or liquor at home, but I don't need it anymore. This was my first trip to Costco that I can remember where I didn't buy alcohol.

Sounds like real and true progress to me. Congrats and keep moving forward.

Comment

Working...
                            X