Question about varying doses of Bac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about varying doses of Bac

Hi, I just completed my first week of Bac. At 30mg a day split in 3 doses which is what my doc will prescribe. I've ordered some online as well. I've seen that most people on here are splitting it into equal doses through the day. I saw on another website that some people take larger doses at certain times a day. I am a nightly drinker (12 to 20 units), so would taking a larger dose in the afternoon before getting off work be beneficial? So far I haven't noticed much from the Bac. I hope I can get an improvement before my May 15th doc appointment because I'm pretty sure he'll end my prescription otherwise. Any other advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Re: Question about varying doses of Bac

Originally posted by Daishi4 View Post
    Hi, I just completed my first week of Bac. At 30mg a day split in 3 doses which is what my doc will prescribe. I've ordered some online as well. I've seen that most people on here are splitting it into equal doses through the day. I saw on another website that some people take larger doses at certain times a day. I am a nightly drinker (12 to 20 units), so would taking a larger dose in the afternoon before getting off work be beneficial? So far I haven't noticed much from the Bac. I hope I can get an improvement before my May 15th doc appointment because I'm pretty sure he'll end my prescription otherwise. Any other advice would be helpful. Thanks.
    Hello [MENTION=23139]Daishi4[/MENTION]

It always disappoints me when Doctors only prescribe a starting level of Baclofen. It shows me an effort to placate the patient without understanding the science behind the medication they are prescribing - Although it does not surprise me, as Baclofen is a powerful and unforgiving medication (further up the ladder than you are) if doses are missed or exceeded.

At 30mg a day, I guess you are not likely to see any changes as such, maybe a tad of somnolence?

Regarding doses, whilst titrating, initially, you would certainly want to spread your doses - It is true that some users only take one dose a day but this, in my experience is at a time after they have reached a period of indifference to alcohol. I have never "got" this area of thinking (or ever tried it) but anecdotally, it seems to work for some and not others. I guess, when you are there, it is something you can play with.

I think Mom directed you to the prescription guide in another thread, this will be a sensible article to present to your doctor along with references to trials and studies found on The End of my Addiction:

The Complete List - All of the Baclofen Research at a Glance - The End of my Addiction

Your Doctor appears to need convincing about the science - These and personal subject knowledge may help them AND YOU, understand how Baclofen works, is taken, the pitfalls and ultimate elation this medication can bring to the user.

Regards

Bacman
    Last edited by Baclofenman; April 24, 2017, 11:54 PM.
    I am not a Doctor - I am an alcoholic.
    Thoughts expressed here are my own, often poorly put together and littered with atrocious grammar and spelling.

Comment

My doctor would only go up to 80 mgs. And I'd hit my switch there. He didn't really care to understand baclofen and alcoholism. Each visit he'd ask me if I'd drank even though I'd explained that I could have a drink and I didn't consider it a failure. He wanted me to come off baclofen and go onto an antidepressant. I found another who prescribed for me. Each year on the anniversary of my first visit with him I send a card thanking him.

I don't think much changed for me at 30 mgs. I suppose you could lie to your doctor and say you're doing better but it seems that would only keep him/her prescribing at the lower dose.

Comment

Thank you for your responses. My initial question was asking about taking different size dosages throughout the day. Like since I drink at night, I could take a larger dose before my normal drinking time and smaller doses the rest of the time. Does anyone have experience with doing anything like that?

Comment

Thank you for your responses. My initial question was asking about taking different size dosages throughout the day. Like since I drink at night, I could take a larger dose before my normal drinking time and smaller doses the rest of the time. Does anyone have experience with doing anything like that?
          Baclofen, in my experience does not work that way. It sounds like you are trying to take Baclofen in some type of TSM manor.

You need to build up your levels of Baclofen. Yo-Yo dosing at low levels does not strike me as very effective.

Regards

Bacman
          I am not a Doctor - I am an alcoholic.
          Thoughts expressed here are my own, often poorly put together and littered with atrocious grammar and spelling.

Comment

I don't know why but I did split my doses. I didn't continue to drink nightly. I apologize for missing your question.

Comment

According to the French forum, their doctors ARE scheduling dosages based on when the greatest craving hits, but it's not different dosages, it's timing. You split your dose into 3 and take each dose 6, 4, and 2 hours before your drinking time. So if you start at 5, you would take your Bac at 11, 1, and 3. This guarantees your peak blood level occur at the optimum time. There's a nifty chart and a better explanation of targeting if you go to the site below, select frequently asked questions, FAQ online, then select #5, "what is the protocol, dosage, distribution". See section 5.6.

Google Translate

Baclofen treatment is much more advanced in France as it's approved there for alcoholism.
              Last edited by Mom21961; April 25, 2017, 08:02 PM.
              http://baclofentreatment.com/
              http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org
              http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org/f...or-alcoholism/

Comment

Working...
              X