Anxiety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anxiety

Kath, I have the same symptoms after a binge.
    A New Zealand friend of mine calls it 'The Fear'.......

xx
    Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Anxiety

Hello Kath and hope that you are feeling better...
      The Kudzu from MWO Works !! It really does... It still takes some planning but it is definately a wonderful tool for a person to have in their medicine cabinet.... I wish you alot of luck... So, when you have started your AF journey, just try to remember how you felt, sweaty, anxiety, heart racing etc.... and then think of how free you feel after you have woken up ... sober.... so worth it ! Best of luck to you and I'm looking forward to hearing how this continues for you....

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

Anxiety

The anxiety is awful for me after I drink too much...and like others have said i would drink to make it go away...yuck!...when i don't drink i feel better in SOOOOOOO many ways that i wonder what it is that makes me drink in the first place....it is a vicious cycle...good job with the 6 days AF...keep it up! buckle

Comment

Anxiety

I feel like this too, edgy and jumpy and weird. Exhausted but can't sleep, nod off to sleep only to wake seconds later with a start. It's horrible.
          Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.

Comment

Anxiety

Hi guys

Thanks very much for all your posts.

I still felt a bit edgy today to be honest - 2 days after my wee bender. I went for a jacuzzi after work at the health club and went home - as soon as my pjs were on felt better.

I am glad I am not the only one who feels this way. I think the smoking doesnt help either - normally I smoke up to 5 ciggies a day maybe 10 on a weekend if am not drinking but can smoke loads more when am binge drinking. Thats sets of the chest pain which then increases the anxiety.

Amelia thats very funny what you call it "The Fear" - if any of you have seen Withnail and I the movie then you will remember the line from 'I' about that. Its true is like a fear.

Also Finding My Feet - fantastic point. Did you know that alcohol units are way out of date - took me ages to work that out as wine and lager are so much stronger than they used to be. I remember when I started looking at my wine intake I could get a 9% rose now cant get it anywhere they are all so strong. Also wine glasses are so huge massive goblets as standard you cant get a normal wee size glass that I remember from my student days anymore they are all massive and thats just in a few years.

I eventually fell asleep about 1am and slept well.

Best wishes to everyone. :thanks:

Gargy

Comment

Anxiety

Yes to all of that, maybe we are not a bunch of nutters afterall!! xxxxxx

Comment

Anxiety

Hi Kath,

Bad anxiety is the main symptom I experience during alcohol withdrawal, particularly after a heavy drinking period. When I've dried out for a few days I'm a perfectly calm, relaxed person, but after a drinking binge I suffer from terrible panic attacks, jumpiness, racing heart. On one occasion I suffered an attack while I was at an intersection on my motorcycle, so when the light turned green I had to immediately find a side street and pull over because it was so bad- very scary. In fact, the bad anxiety is one major motivation I've had to persist in attempting to stay AF, but unfortunately I've rationalized on more than one occasion that the pleasures of a drinking binge outweigh the 1-3 days of anxiety that will follow. It's insane when you think about it!

Comment

Anxiety

Kathy,

When I drink, even small amounts now, I have terrible anxiety that keeps me up all night with a racing heart, racing thoughts and a feeling of dread. If I work myself up enough I'll get chills & vomit also. Good times. I also used to drink some more the next day (evening)to relieve these symptoms because that seemed rational to me. Probably because I'm an alcoholic. Drinking = calm & relaxation. Seems pretty crazy to think of it now but I just didn't see the connection before. I hope you're doing well.

Comment

Anxiety

Wow all of this is SO TRUE I too have all of the above. Except I also have OCD. Obsessive Compulsive. Mine is cleaning. My anxiety level has DROPPED since going AF, but when I am really stressed that is when I CRAVE alcohol. My Mom was injured Monday and I was at ER with her, so that night I got plastered. Made me feel good for a while to numb the day's events but the next day I was guilt ridden and MAD at my weak self.

Amazing how many of us suffer from Anxiety.

Michaela
                    :beach: "You can't go uphill thinking downhill thoughts"
                    AF since 10/11/2008

Comment

Anxiety

I get very jittery and paranoid, worry about if I was offensive - I call it the shame!
                      I think I began drinking as a teenager to make me feel more confident, seem a bit rebellious. Now at 34 I'm still in that mindset, I am sober day 3 and I have felt very anxious/irritable. I am keeping going though, as I remember it gets better.
                      Am chucking lavendar and geranium oil around like there's no tomorrow and having baths again with essential oils (which I love but had got out of the habit of).Took herbal nytol the 2nd night - I find stopping smoking disrupts my sleep too.
                      I'm looking forward to sober weekend with lots of time (about 8 hours extra with no hangovers) and sleep and a nice sauna,jacuzzi and steam after my gym session on Saturday.
                      Here's to being more relaxed and not fooling mysefl anymore that alcohol will make me feel better.
                      one day at a time

Comment

Working...
                      X