please help me get serious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking, I'm with u. I too know my health is in danger. Hell I have epilepsy and I drink! I am blessed to not have killed myself w/all I have done. So hell, let's "DO IT" as satori says. I threw out the left over booze too.:l

Comment

I DID IT!

I didn't drink last night. There was a moment of temptation when my husband said he had to have a drink, but just one. And he had vodka and tonic which I don't like. But after that it was fine and I knitted a scarf for my daughter (we are talking REALLY basic knitting here) but nevertheless enjoyed the productive side of sobriety. This morning I am tired as I seem to wake in the small hours at the moment, but I'm not hungover. I'm so pleased with myself. Thank you all for helping me so much. I even felt that I couldn't let you down!
      Hart, how did you do? If you'd like to reply, perhaps we should move to the General or just starting out boards now.
      Happy Wednesday everyone!

Comment

Cooking!!! Well done! I am so pleased for you! Smile!! That is one special scarf!
        Love FMS xx
        :heart: c: :heart:
        "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

I like that way of thinking Satori!
          I'm 'trying' to give up smoking for the first time in years. I've given myself Friday as my start date but I think after reading your post it has altered my perception on how to go about things.

Thanks Satori!

Love and Happiness
          Hippie
          xx
          "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
          Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Hippie - why wait till Friday

Just DO it - NOW!

Are you doing it yet?

Satori
            "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

cookinghappy;227100 wrote: I didn't drink last night. !
              See! - just keep doing what you did last night - that is all there is to it.
              If you can do it for one night - you CAN do it for as long as you want.

And - the bonus is...........the more often you do it - the easier it becomes.

You just did the hardest bit!

Love

Satori

xxx
              "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

BTW cooking - I have always fancied a scarf like Tom Baker used to wear as Dr Who back in the 80's. (UK, Long-running Sci Fi show in case you didn't know )

So - if it helps you to stay Alcohol Free...................hint! hint!

Love

Satori
                xxx Attached files [img]/converted_files/370536=2520-attachment.jpg[/img]

Comment

That's far too ambitious for me! It'd take weeks! BTW are you a man or a woman?

Comment

cookinghappy;226099 wrote: I feel as if I'm waiting for a slap around the face, some kind of wake up call. Really though, I know what I need is to get through the early evenings for enough evenings to break the habit. Can any of you help me? What 'slapped you around the face' what woke you up?
                    I don't know if my story...my "slap in the face" will help, but here goes:

Over the last 12 months I had been drinking pretty heavily. Beer mainly with occasional bouts with wine or margaritas. I steered clear of the real hard stuff as I don't like it. I would binge 1-2 times a week and stay up most of the night while doing so. It wasn't uncommon for me to drink 12-18 beers during a binge period...or 2 bottles of wine instead of beer (or some combination thereof). I would then go maybe 24-36 hours without drinking. Then I would start over more "moderately" with 6-8 beers (if you can even call that moderate!). After another 24 hours or so I would binge heavily again.

One day about 4 months ago I was walking through a department store. Suddenly I felt as if I was going to lose consciousness. I had never had any problems prior to this evening. However, it scared the living daylights out of me. My blood pressure shot up extremely high. I felt faint, tingling sensations all over my body. It was difficult to walk or even to speak. My jaw was tight and I had a weird metallic taste in my mouth. My heart rate went through the roof. In short, I thought I was going to die. I was put in an ambulance and taken to the hospital. The tests came back negative. Unfortunately, I didn't believe it was the drinking causing the problem and so probably didn't give the doctors a fair assessment of how much I had been drinking.

Yesterday after having similar (but less severe episodes) I went to the doctor and explained in full disclosure of what I had been doing to myself. This was the hardest part...admitting that my previously moderate drinking had progressed to a full blown problem and now I needed help because I couldn't seem to quit without severe withdrawal symptoms. He agreed that the previous hospital visits were due to alcohol withdrawal and were quite dangerous. He prescribed me some anti-anxiety medication that has helped me tremendously already.

It really sounds like you were like me for a long time...not believing it was an issue because I was functional and despite drinking heavily I hadn't experienced any health side-effects except for an occasional hangover. This was all before the problems started and they started without warning in a big kind of way.

So, if you want to quit, take steps to help yourself do so NOW. Do not wait until there is a "slap-in-the-face". The slap will come I assure you and it is nothing you want to go through trust me! I never thought this would happen to me, but it did.

Go see your doctor and he/she WILL help you through this. It's the very most important step in my experience and certainly nothing to be ashamed of or worried about. It's a lot more common than you think and your doctor knows exactly how to treat it safely.

I hope this helps...

-Swami

Comment

cookinghappy;227697 wrote: That's far too ambitious for me! It'd take weeks! BTW are you a man or a woman?
                      LOL - I will go and check !

Yep - definitely male!

Satori
                      xxx

Comment

Working...
                      X