The shakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The shakes

thinking of you Pink, sending hugs your way. !
    :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

The shakes

Pink,

How are you this morning?

Shakes better? How much have you been able to reduce your drinking by?

FMS tapered down to quit and has been AF for MONTHS now and doing so well. I am hoping for the same outcome for you.

Let us know,
      Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

The shakes

Hi Pink
        I hope you are feeling better. All good advice here - your doctor may have been reluctant to provide you with ativan since it can be highly addictive, as are other benzos. The Vitamin B, gabba and calmes forte should really help, along with water, good food and keeping warm.
        Keep us 'posted' as to how you are doing, ok?
        Jen
        Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

The shakes

Hi Pink-

Hope you're feeling better. Know that it will pass. I've had more withdrawals than I can remember. I used to hate having to take a shower since my skin on my fingers would peel, I'd get that prickly/itchy feeling all over my body-and the sweats! Add to that the nausea and shaking-shaking where it was noticable~hubby would comment saying I looked like "death walking". I was not a human-I could not function like one for days.

Years ago (about 7) I went to the hospital to detox (it was a horrible experience-I was left alone in the emergency room overnight-no one checking in on me~no meds, might as well stayed at home & saved $). Anyway the doc prescribed Magnesium for the heart & something else (can't recall). The magnesium helped with the damage alcohol does to the heart & nerves.

Hydrate, hydrate & hydrate. Alcohol does a # on making you dehydrated. My skin would always start to peel.

Good luck & well wishes.
          :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

The shakes

Yes, how are you pink? Ativan is good for a few days, helps with withdrawal and it is an anticonvulsant (very important). Where are you at now?
            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

The shakes

Update

Hi everyone,

I am still alive. That's about all I can report for now. I keep trying but my willpower seems pretty damned weak.

I'm trying to figure out if there is a bus that can get me from here to the detox place. Unfortunately, when your brain is mush, this isn't an easy task.

I'll try to keep you posted as best I can.

Hugs and kisses to you all. I'm not sure if I would continue to try without all your cheerleading. Thank you!

Comment

The shakes

I was thinking about you last night and was wondering if you were OK. Sometimes we need outside help (detox). I hope you can find a bus to take you. Sending you strength and love.

Comment

The shakes

beatle;249269 wrote: Yes, how are you pink? Ativan is good for a few days, helps with withdrawal and it is an anticonvulsant (very important). Where are you at now?
                  This doc has prescribed for me many drugs considered to be addictive (Valium, Klonopin ...). I do not become addicted to them. In fact, I end up taking a few doses' worth (on schedule and all) and tossing them. He knows this. I definitely have a problem with alcohol addiction, but I am just not a pill person. I never have been. Again, he knows this. So I am really perplexed as to why he won't prescribe me four or five days' worth of Ativan. Oh, well. He won't, and I guess that's all there is to it. Unfortunately, I really don't do well on the Librium they give me in detox. Do they care? No. They just keep shoving Librium down me. Another oh, well, I suppose.

Comment

The shakes

pink...if you are not getting the help YOU need, it shouldn't be oh well. can you seek another GP? perhaps one more knowledgable in the area of alcohol withdrawl?
                    you are in my thoughts...good luck sweetie...many hugs!
                    Striving to live life without ALCOHOL

Comment

The shakes

Ativan is a 'sedative', Drs can be unwilling to prescribe drugs like these if they think you may possibly drink on them. Drinking with sedatives is very dangerous - I remember a guy locally dying as a result of falling down the stairs and breaking his neck after being prescribed sedatives to help him with alcohol withdrawl. He drank whilst taking the sedatives.

I remember being given Valium and other types of sedatives by a GP in a different town to where I live now, when I first admitted I had some sort of drink problem. When I started seeing someone from the alcohol team (after a long waiting list), they couldn't believe it! Basically I would try to stay drink free, took the medication and felt ok for a few days - apart from the fact I was very dopy. By day 4 I was drinking again and with the meds it was a only a few drinks before I would pass out.

Later on my drinking got much worse and I took some of the old presciption pills to knock me out thinking that would stop me drinking more. I was found face down in my dinner after a boyfriend, missing me and getting no reply to his texts/phone calls rang the police. They got my landlord to unlock my door and get me to hospital.

Sedatives in an uncontrolled situation, with someone who is at risk of drinking alcohol can be dangerous. Most Drs are going to be frightened to prescribe.

Comment

The shakes

Hi all, just wondered how you were doing Pink?

Lou xx

Comment

The shakes

Hi loussie2 and others.

The tapering thing doesn't seem to be going too well. It starts out with the best intentions, but then the booze starts talking.

I woke up this morning shaking and sweating and needing to vomit. After a good many swigs, I'm still shaking and sweating and needing to vomit.

Yesterday I tried to find a bus service from here to detox. I couldn't remember the name of the buses that run around here. This morning I remembered. Rather excitedly, I looked them up. They serve a big region here (I'm in Western Massachusetts) but, unfortunately, don't go to Vermont.

I guess, out of desperation, I really need to get myself talked into going to the detox in Worcester that I've heard is exceedingly hellish.

I sure wish the hospital here would keep me for more than a few hours. But, like my neighbor pointed out to me yesterday, I wish a lot of things.

I'm putting in a load of laundry and sitting down with the book My Way Out. Not that it's going to do much for my immediate situation.

Thanks again everyone for your concern. It feels good to have people care--even if it's total strangers.

Comment

The shakes

If I'm serious about getting to detox, why did I spend my entire month's budget on groceries yesterday? It's as though I can now say, "I can't go to detox; I have all this fresh produce in the refrigerator!" Ugh.

I may ramble bunches here today. I'm hoping if I have someone to answer to--only if it's myself on a very public forum! --I might remain something less than totally shit-faced. I hope I don't annoy too many of you.

Comment

The shakes

Pink, Ramble as much as you like, i've not been about much on this thread but i'm here this afternoon and will keeping checking here ....

Stay calm ...............
                              sigpicXXX

Comment

The shakes

Pink

I too have woken after a binge feeling achy, sweaty, vomity. I force myself to stay in bed - don't go out of my flat until I am sober again. Throw out all the booze - at least pour the open stuff down the loo. Give the sealed stuff away (must have a friend who will glady take it off you! In the bin you can always dig it out). If you think you are at risk of fitting go stay at your neighbour or ask them to check on you - have the phone to hand. I was always scared of convulsions and I have never had one yet. Ok I don't drink 24/7 - the longest I managed was 6 days and about 180 units. Obviously if you do start to fit then call 911 and get help - I have heard many hard drinking alcoholics giving up and riding this out at home with some sensible help from friends. It is scary facing sobriety - I get scared at the end of every binge and just hope every time it's the last. Just remember it's like any illness - like flu you just have to get through the bad bits then you wll feel better.

Get to bed, lie on a big towel(s) for the sweats and sleep. If you can't then read something and I guarantee your hot eyes will close gladly for a rest very soon. While resting think about the time you have wasted, damage you are doing and how easy it is to avoid by avoiding another drink. Once the shakes ease clean out all the booze, take a shower you will feel much better.

Tapering doesn't work for a lot of people - I have used it to con myself into drinking again and prolonging the binge. It can only get worse. Decide to stop and put the stopper on the bottle. Make yourself hate it so much you won't take another swig - it's the alcohol that makes you want to vomit!

Comment

Working...
                                X