Nose Dive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nose Dive

Hi Keeta. Glad you joined the thread. I hope it is a prosperous one.
    I'm having some odd bodily feelings today... reminiscent of a day after hard drinking. I look like death warmed over, too. It's very discomforting. Is it possible to have withdrawal your 4th day AF?

Comment

Nose Dive

Hi Rob,
      Well, sadly, I can't offer knowledge on withdrawl on day 4, I haven't had four consecutive days without alcohol in years (pathetic, yet true!)
      I do know, that when I am withdrawing...like you said, after a night of over drinking, I get terrible anxiety...racing heart, feeling edgy, can't calm the racing thoughts, etc. I hope youi aren't feeling too badly...because I know from experience, it truely sucks!
      Hang in there, R!
      love and hugs,
      K
      Striving to live life without ALCOHOL

Comment

Nose Dive

Hey Robenzo It is definately possible to have withdrawl symptoms on day 4 AF. And just a little warning--from my experience the psychological withdrawl is much, much longer than the physical withdrawl. I am only sharing my experience but the more we learn the more prepared we can be. That is why i come here. to learn from others' experience. Keep posting and let us know how you're doing
        sigpic

Comment

Nose Dive

Do you think topo suppresses the psychological withdrawal to some degree? I would think so but just wondering... I've tapered off and now going completely AF (with the help of anti-anxietiy) This is the wimpy way of doing it. Kudos to those braves souls that go cold turkey. I have done it but prefer the easy route if possible.
          Fran15
          "You never know what you can do until you have to do it."
          Betty Ford

Comment

Nose Dive

Whatever "works" is what I say Fran. I tried that route and couldn't stick with the plan. Plus, I'm on Campral and my Doc said I had to abstain for it to work.
            Now it's day 5 and the drive is alive! Prolly what Wonderworld is thinking of the Giants! Honestly, Day 4 was the worst thus far, but even it was tremendously better than feeling like death!
            I'm starting off the day right with a nutritional shake and coffee!!!

Comment

Nose Dive

Hi Robenzo, many congratulations on a job well done. I was a binge drinker over th past 5 years and in early October drank myself into a medical emergency. I was just prescribed Xanex and some hours later drank some beer and vodka (not much), passed out and no one could wake me so I was rushed to the ER. I didn't realize the new prescription was for double the dose I was used to!!!!! My God why was I so stupid to wait to quit until this happened? Maybe it was a blessing in reality. Well ... I have been AF since (100+ af days), feel so, so much better. I have no urges to drink and no anxiety ( a problem I struggled with for many, many years). In the beginning, I kept myself distracted, visiting here often, reading and posting -- thank god for this place and people! It does get easier, I promise. Just be patient with yourself and the passing of time, distract yourself, get as healthy as possible and forge ahead. Much luck with continued success, j
              Cuckoo for Cocoa Puff!!!

Comment

Nose Dive

Thanks for sharing Janka. I've come close to that or worse several times. For some unknown reason I never actually had to go to the ER, although several times I should've, probably. One time I passed out and my buddies decided to "watch me" rather than call for help. I'm kinda glad they didn't ( only because I came out alright ) because I wouldn't want the attention. It seems there is a HUGE stigma with adults and AL-related emergencies. Like we should know better, ya know? I wonder if they forced you into treatment?
                Well, it's day 6 everyone. Last night I determined I was going to drink ( thank God it was Sunday ) tonight, because of the usual triggers. Here's hoping I stay strong.

Comment

Nose Dive

Wishing you well Rob. I saw my gp recently and my blood pressure had gone so high
                  I needed medication, this really made me sit back and take a good luck at myself.
                  Please try and get off the benzo's, as they can make you want to drink, I do know this
                  because I work in a unit that deals with alcohol probs and benzo's are rarely prescribed.
                  Love Paula.

Comment

Nose Dive

Hi Paula. That's interesting. My Dr., after giving me the foreboding news that alcohol and benzos can be lethal together, said the benzos would help with withdrawal, which they have ( shakes, nervousness, etc. ). Appreciate the post. I do have an anxiety disorder or two or three so it would be difficult for me. I'm also on BP meds, so please don't feel too bad about that, it happens.
                    Love Rob

Comment

Nose Dive

Rob chlordiazepoxide ( librium) is one of the usual benzo's given for al probs,
                      yes the others are used, but usually under in patient supervision. Have you tried
                      relaxation for anxiety ?
                      Best of luck Paula.x

Comment

Nose Dive

Paula,
                        I've probably not tried "true" relaxation techniques ( i.e. meditation, yoga, etc. ), but I do things that I feel comfortable doing... That doesn't even sound like a good reply to me!
                        Since you work in an alcohol ward, can you give me any idea what to expect in the coming days for a diagnosed moderate to heavy drinker? I'm currently on day 6.
                        Moderate meaning the stage of drinking I'm in, not the amount I would normally drink. Maybe I'm still not expressing that correctly. I'm a heavy drinker in the moderate stage of alcoholism??? I'm only on day 6, excuse me for tripping over my words while trying to be technical.

Comment

Nose Dive

Thats fine Rob, everyone deals with this problem differently. You can get relaxation cds
                          from MWO. or on the internet. If you have got to day 6 you are probably through the worst
                          withdrawals. Usually withdrawals mean night sweats, shaking, feeling sick, restlessness and in really bad cases seizures. Drink a reasonable amount of water try eating meals
                          little and often, and I think you will be fine if you can keep off al. The fact that you are on
                          this site, able to communicate speaks volumes.
                          Best of luck Paula.

Comment

Nose Dive

Do not despair. My lovely wife was hospitalized once and nearly so a few times.

MWO has helped her make tremendous progress. Only two slips in about 5 months now and although the slips were pretty severe, she is great the majority of the time. Mostly AF, can do mod on occasion.

There is light, you can beat this. Namste.
                            ?If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.? -Wayne Dyer

Comment

Nose Dive

Hi robenzo...

Really enjoying reading about your successful struggle against the alcohol cravings.

I understand completely where you are coming from about feeling good one minute and terrible the next. Sounds like that's a pretty normal reaction.

This is working on my 5th day AF and boy am I all over the place. My moods today have ranged from feeling really energetic to right now feeling like I could just close my eyes and take a looooong nap. Oh, and, this morning driving to work I had a great big crying jag...no reason to be sad, just felt like crying for some reason. I managed to calm myself down by reminding myself that what I'm feeling is probably a little withdrawal drama.

Like you, the more AF days I get, the more I feel clarity and purposefulness. I've also taken a very good look behind me, and am dismayed by what I've seen. Is it really possible for folks like us to deny what is causing the drama and problems in our lives? How dense could I be? Every wreckage I've made in my life, every serious mess I've created, were all the result of alcohol. So how come it's taken me this long to accept that?

Oh well, at least this is a start for us. So today, I'll focus on staying AF for TODAY. Even with the crying jags, irritability, sleepiness, etc. This too will pass.

RG

Comment

Nose Dive

Always good to hear from others dealing with this condition. Yes, I've done A LOT of looking back, lately. Mostly trying to resurrect friendships I've dropped along the way. It's hard keeping in mind that others' situations change, too. I tend to expect them to be exactly where they were, waiting for me to return. Not usually the case. There is hope for some, but I believe some have been lost. It really creates a void in me... like I'm trying to live in the past and cannot fathom making new friends. I've even contemplated the Law of Attraction. How did I draw them into my life in the first place?

Comment

Working...
                                X