Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anxiety ridden- unhappy w/my life what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a mess. Was just at the DR today for cricopharyngeal Spasms. Don't want to be a nut, but I guess I am. I used to post here under a different name, but had to change it for privacy reasons.

I'm really familiar w/the "response to the world" therapy - it doesn't work for me. I'm really having a bad time and I don't understand why?

Dingbat,

Is drinking still and issue or are you AF?

I am not sure having cricopharyngeal spasms makes you a nut. :-(

I do know that most of us who drink have panic and anxiety issues.

I think we need a little more information before we can help.

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Drinking is an issue. If i drink enough, then I have no swallowing probs

And the docs are really, really, stingy w/the xanax or valium. I am MUCH Better on xanax or Valium. But I'm a bit tired of trying to convince them. Why, oh why, do they want me to buy into al of the ssri's?

Comment

Dingbat,

I was Googling on this condition. Yes, it appears that Valium or other muscle relaxants can help but as you know long term use is addictive.

I am guessing that alcohol is your method.

However, there does seem to be some success with botox injections. Have you looked into that? I am no doctor but you might have one in your area that is knowledgeable with that treatment.

I have had that experience before, one time it was caused by an antihistamine with "speed" in it that caused me to get very nervous. I recall it was miserable.

Do you think the SSRIs might help with your anxiety and unhappiness if you gave them a chance? Have you had issues with them? I haven't taken any in a long time and never gave them a chance because they take a long time to start working and I always wanted a quick fix. Hence, I am an alcoholic, the quickest fix of all.

However, now that I am sober, I am much less anxious and have very very mild and few panic attacks.

Do you think you would like to quit drinking? Or cut way down?

Cindi
        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Cinders - I have been all RX'D SSRI'S - to the point of almost being committed from them. Won't do them again! I have NO prob w/tranqs tho. Really, how bad is Xanax or Valium vs f'ing w/peeps brains chemistry?

Comment

Dingbat,

Unfortunately, xanax and valium do mess with your brain chemistry, just like alcohol, causing the dopamine and seratonin disruption, etc. So, they truly aren't good for a long term solution. When I was in rehab, the people there for the xanax, valium, pill addictions had a much more difficult time than the alcoholics. Us alkies got through the withdrawals within a few days, the opiate addicts went through a few weeks of hell. I sure would not want to end up in that boat.

My doctor won't give them to me either, because she knows I am an alcoholic. I am sure she would under serious circumstances, but just for short term therapy.

I think you have two issues to talk to the doctor about. 1. Symptomatic relief of some kind for the spasms, and if short term valium or xanax therapy helps, discuss it calmly with him/her. 2. Help with the anxiety and unhappiness issues.

I do think that the doctors give out the SSRIs and those classes of drugs too frequently without looking at what else can be done to help the patient.

Drugs are not always the answer and in many cases are not the best answer. Have you tried counseling or other methods to deal with the anxiety?

I know first hand how miserable life can get when you get into these things. I used to suffer panic attacks in my 30s and they can be debilitating.

I hope someone else can jump in here and offer better advice.

Just know, I care and hope you can find a good solution to your issues.

I would recommend you try to address the drinking, too. I know it made my anxiety sky rocket, which I then treated with more alcohol, that made things worse, etc. etc.

I am so glad I got off that ride, let me tell you.

No, life isn't any easier but I sure am better able to deal with the tough stuff AND I am better able to enjoy the good stuff.

Love,
            Cindi
            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

wow i didnt have a problem gettin tht stuff here,but cinders is rt,its a short term remedy,actually they use valuum to bring you more quietly off of booze symtons,then a as you no with ssris they are the same,i only used those for awhile,long term abuse of substance can bring anxiety on, tht was what happened to me,if these arent used you open the door for heart att, stoke and what ever else,i said it to someone today, i was institutionalised this winter,and blammy,i found out the truth,im not nuts,i just drank toooo,much,i hope it helps have a great day gyco

Comment

dingbat,
                I'm new here, and I don't know the past and don't care. I do care about anyone who is suffering and if I can help in any way i will. I don't know what kind of smasms you are having but if you can explain, maybe i can understand and help - if I can...

Comment

Dingbat......Fight, Fight.....Stay on this site ! We can help you ! Don't give up......! IAD
                  ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                  those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                  Dr. Seuss

Comment

Dingbat, I am in complete agreement with cindi. One suggestion I have for you is to google "Pain & Stress Center". They have a program for alcohol and pill addictions based on supplements. Also supps for stress, sleep, anxiety, etc. I didn't take MWO supps as I had theirs, but I think it's a similar idea. Perhaps some of those supps would be a good choice for you VS the xanax or valium.
                    sigpic
                    Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

I'm new here. I'm 24 and been hospitalised three times in the last three months for major liver problems due to alcohol. They let me stay in hospital until most of the withdrawals stopped, but I just kept going back to the booze when I was anxious. My doctor put me on a SSRI but it didn't help. After ending up in hospital after throwing up blood, my doctor finally agreed to give me a short course of valium - only when I was persistent in asking. It's only my third day without alcohol, and it's actually bearable. I think in some cases benzos can be a help, even if there is a risk of addiction. In my case, it was that or I'd be dead very soon.

It does worry me that when I finish the valium the panic and anxiety will come back, though.

Comment

Hi there Lillers, and a big welcome to you. I don't really have any experience with pill's, just booze, but other's here have. it's great you found this site.. I hope you keep coming back. The ppl here are friendly and supportive. I've found it very informative to read as many threads as possible... There are some threads on med's and grog here too, so jump in... Good luck, Be well, G.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

I really understand the AL for med reasons. It loosens my body and DOES help the spasms, but the payback is hell. I'm sorry for your pain. I hope you find relief.
                          sigpic
                          Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                          awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

dingbat, there are excellent non-medication therapies for anxiety disorders. I'd suggest you do a thorough search for an experienced, well-trained cognitive-behavioral therapist. It takes some work, in that kind of therapy, but it beats the hell out of alcohol, benzo's, and SSRI's for the rest of your life!

best wishes,

wip

Comment

dingbat,

I'm sure you're not a dingbat but it's a cute name :l

Valium, long term, is a very bad idea. It is worse than alcohol. I've been down that road. First one worked, then two then three, you probably know what I mean. The body builds such a tolerance so quickly, especially if AL is involved. It's not a good thing.

I wish I had a suggestion for you but I'm here, we're here, and I hope you find some relief soon. I've had 3 panic attacks in my life and they were AL related. I thought I was going crazy, it was awful. I'll never go back there. AL isn't worth it.

Take care, :h
                              Becoming
                              "Action is...the enemy of thought." :l Joseph Conrad

Comment

Working...
                              X