Alcoholism, Chronic pain and Mental Break down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a program called Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) that has been around for about 30 years. It was created by Jon Kabat-Zinn at the University of Massachusetts. It has a very good track record for helping people with chronic pain. The primary intervention is attentional training, by way of mindfulness meditation. Here's the LINK.

best wishes,

wip

Comment

Wow, thank you all for your continuing concern and support. It makes it easier to keep pushing forward.

I am on day three AF, with absolutely no plans to drink today.
      HA, but that is the trouble with sneaky old AL, I never plan, I just always end up "doing". (read: drinking) I went for a CT scan on Tuesday, and I am hoping to be able to get the results on Monday. I wish it could be quicker, but I suppose being that there is 220 kms between the hospital and my Dr's office, it makes sense! LOL

Have a very busy day ahead, but I will come back and spend more time answering posts more personally later this evening.
      Thank you all again.

I WILL NOT DRINK TODAY.
      Striving to live life without ALCOHOL

Comment

I've been thinking about you keeta. Sending good vibes your way!
        sigpic
        Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

OK...well, I got my results from the CT scan.
          Sheesh...basically it would be easier to discuss what "isn't" wrong...but a brief run down...

CT Lumbar spine:

compression fracture of vertebral body of L1 with loss of height, predominantly right side, anteriorly. Mainly of superior end plate. Right side loss of height approx 40%.

(ok, what does THAT mean exactly...the gp I saw was very unhelpful and I will be taking my results to few docs for opinions...)

There is associated kyphosis.

Some sclerosis is seen.

There is minimal retropulsion.

Posterior elements appear intact.

Occasional Schmorl's nodes and bone islands are seen.

(*what??????????????????*)

Orthopedic screws are seen on right side of sacrum. There is associated sclerosis at right SI joint.

At L5-S1 there is posterocentral disc herniation. Marked facet hypertrophy at this level. This disc space is markedly narrowed with a degenerative disc, with gas within the disc. Mild diffuse disc bulging.

Mild disc bulging at L4-5 with gas in the right SI joint, consistent with a degenerative joint. Bilateral facet hypertrophy at this level.

There is mild scoliosis.

Occasional presumed bone islands are seen.

CT Pelvis:

screws fix right facet joint. plate and screws are seen in the right iliac bone. further screws in right acetabulum. Evidence of a fracture of anterior acetabulum with some disruption.

In the superior right anterior iliac bone is a linear area of increased attenuation.

Some hyperattenuation is seen within bowel in the right lower abdomen. A few small ileocecal lymph nodes are seen.

Ok, super....now if I knew what the hell all that meant I would be one step closer to knowing what to do .:H

I do know I need to see another Dr...as this one said only...we will keep you comfortable (read..."here are some pills for pain, go away"), and you are too young for a hip replacement...)
          OK, too young for a hip replacement, but to me, it seems my back is kinda fucked, so what the hell to do about THAT?

I really am no closer to dealing with the chronic pain, and though I have the results, that I suppose outline the reasons for said pain, I don't know what it all means.:upset::upset:

I guess I will go google some shit, and see if I can find any answers...all I know is that this continues to fucking SUCK.

Thanks for listening to me rant, and I apologise for the language...it sometimes just feels good to let out a good foul word when feeling frustrated.
          Striving to live life without ALCOHOL

Comment

Working...
          X