where do you begin....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where do you begin....

hi, here's my story. I am the child of alcohoic parents. both of whom are now dead. I never had a tolerance for booze. it always made me sick. almost all of my grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. were alcoholics. I started drinking wine because i am in the food business and have a passion for cooking. i never thought that i would become an alcoholic. when i first started drinking wine with food, it was o.k. after about three glasses, i was paying homage to the porcelan king. i loved the way it made food taste so much that i forced myself to drink more, now 4 years later and i can't imagine not drinking it. i fooled myself into believing that because it was red wine, it was healthy. I eat healthy and i try to live a healthy lifestyle. I exercise, etc. my 13 year old son put it best when he said that i was more on his level when i was drinking, meaning that i wasn't as smart as i normally am. i really want to quit drinking. i do not want to be my parents. my dad was still drinking the day he died. i know i can stop but i don't know how. i quit smoking 3 1/2 yrs. ago so i know i can stop drinking.

where do you begin....

hi aiden,stop then,give yourself 24 hours from the last time you drank,and then after a week of tht make 48 and so on,it can be done tell me how you make out the 1st 24,i again stopped for 10 months this year,tried,but it is hard try it gyco

Comment

where do you begin....

i also am modding rt now,always have to be careful,im good for 6 beers,then im bloated and just dont drink,most of the time sleep,then get up and get on with this place back to sleep for a couple of more hours,then work

Comment

where do you begin....

hope it helps and good luck to you aiden

Comment

where do you begin....

Aiden, welcome. You can certainly get a lot of help and support here; what are your ideas, at this point, about what kind of a plan might be effective for you to stop the alcohol abuse? Are you familiar with the MWO program?

wip

Comment

where do you begin....

Hi Aiden,

First, I want to commend you on quitting smoking!! That is how I started this journey--you see, I never smoked unless I drank, so I started drinking too much so I could smoke!! When I got serious about quitting smoking, it became quite clear the drinking had to go also!
            I agree, I think you can do this! It is so worth it. If you can get 30to 60 days under your belt, it becomes a new, better way of life!
            :welcome:
            The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

where do you begin....

Welcome Aiden! Have you thought about a plan yet? Hope you can do much reading and posting here :wings:
              :l
              LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

where do you begin....

Aiden,

Welcome. You have started your recovery by coming here. It was a process that lead you to where you are with alcohol, and it will take a process to get back to where you were before. Some think there is a silver bullet, that works. There is no silver bullet. Different combinations of tools / aids work for each individual. Explore all the tools available. Journaling, posting, reading, chatting, read the MWO book, read "My Story" on the home page of this web site, consider exercise and supplimentation, as well as, medication. Try setting time restrictions on your drinking - ie. nothing on the week nights, not before 5 PM on the week ends, only buy a limited amount, and don't go out for more. Try it all. Find what works. I know that I cannot drink alcohol. Period. I cannot moderate. I can't do it. I have tried, and it doesn't work for me. Sobriety is what is best for me. I wish you luck in discovering what is best for you! Hugs, Best
                "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

where do you begin....

I agree with BEST...You have taken your first steps toward wellness.Read all about MWO and form your own plan of recovery.There are many great people here to help you along the way.Eating TONS of grapes helps stop cravings as do other Sups.recommended in the MWO book.
                  sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

where do you begin....

Welcome Aiden,
                    you have been given great advice by some of the best here... if in doubt, ask questions. You don't need to muddle through this alone, we have all been there and are here to offer support and advice.
                    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

where do you begin....

I think the same way. i quit smoking which was so hard to do several years ago. I keep thinking if I did that that I would be able to quit drinking. I keep thinking something will just klick with me but i don't want it to klick after I do something stupid and hurt someone. i already hear my kids saying i told you that last night mom!!!! i hate that knowing I just don't remember. We need to work on this now!!!!! this is the right place so much support!!!

Comment

where do you begin....

Welcome Aiden and Formenow
                        I cannot imagine my life without MWO. The combination of this program and AA have helped me immensely. Glad u are here. Stay close.
                        "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

where do you begin....

Aiden, you say you don't know how to stop.

Here at MYO, we know how to stop. We know it so good because some of us do it again, and again and again. Get it?

There's dozens of factors; pleasure center, energy metabolism, habit reinforcement, social factors, willpower, hard knocks and habit. To overcome all takes a community, which we have here, knowledge which we are gaining here, and self will, which you have gained by posting here.

The prognosis is good! I'm not a professional chef, but I'm a pretty good cook. I half-jokingly suggest switching to Asian cuisine, because Wine goes sucky with Korean or Thai food, and the tea is free.

Settle down and join us. Nice people here. You'll learn a lot. It will help.

Comment

where do you begin....

Hello Aiden, I just want to welcome you and wish you luck. My mam is an alcoholic - it is important that WE leave our children a better legacy. We can do this!!! Janicexxx
                            AF since 9 May 2012
                            Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

Working...
                            X