taste or high ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

taste or high ?

I was thinking of why I started drinking after 14 days AF and one thing I read somewhere here, that got me to thinking... about that first glass of wine I talked myself into.

Was it the taste? Do I really enjoy the wine? Will 2 glasses really satisfy me? I think not. I think I want the high, the effect, the relaxation, the crutch.

So now that I have 6 days AF again, I am asking myself, the same questions and I know a moderate amount will not do. Normal drinkers sip, savor and enjoy a few glasses of wine and they are content.

I am not that kind of drinker, I want to get high and two glasses will not do that for me, so unless I am honest with myself and say "you want two bottles of wine, not two glasses, I will never get off this rollercoaster.

So I will not drink my wine, this day. When I want to drink I will ask myself are you going for taste or high, we all know the answer

Do you have a question? Before you take that first drink?

Plumeria
    sigpic

taste or high ?

Plumeria, I would say that when I was drinking it was not so much a question as a battle in my mind. I knew each and every time that I drank that I would never stop at one, but that is what I continually told myself. This time I will stop at three, or I'm only going to drink beer, or only after 6pm - anything to try to control and enjoy my drinking.

As you mention, honesty with yourself is the key. If we are truly honest then we will understand that we cannot drink like normal people. Hopefully that leads to a new understanding of our problem and a desire to do what it takes to get sober.
    Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

taste or high ?

For me it's the high. I will never be able to enjoy al normally. I've tried.
      MM

Comment

taste or high ?

It's definitely the high ... have to start over today ... have to
        Cuckoo for Cocoa Puff!!!

Comment

taste or high ?

It was the high for me, as well. I remember actually holding my breath to get down some alcohol I wasn't too fond of just to get it down my neck. How embarassing is that! Krigs
          "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

taste or high ?

nc pik AA.cute,well 45 i dont no if if i agree with the theory,after all the abuse i did i had to get treatment,other then tht i still would be at a loss,i was thro a few sike wards but they couldnt keep me long enuff,to help,on my way , good for a while , and like AA,back to oblivion.ive come to a realization,we control our destony,not anyone or anything else,we no when we do wrong,doesnt take a genious when you drink a bottle of scotch and i sont mean the small one, or a case o 3 bottles of wine,god,has nothing to do with it,he or she is lookin down say, how long can they keep it up,you have found a great site,more compassionate then some others,use it to the best of yur abilities i hate to say it ,no im happy to say it,welcom,you hav found a new way to fight the BEAST,within you gyco

Comment

taste or high ?

If I don't like the taste - I just do shots. So, there's my answer.

Comment

taste or high ?

The fact of the matter is we drink to get annihilated....to get to that almost comatose existence....then we regret it and swear we will never do it again...and the cycle continues.

So we really have to accept the fact that we are not like people who do not have a drinking problem......I think this is the key...we have to accept that we cannot drink.

I can't drink one or two drinks..........drinking 0 or 12 is easy...drinking 1 or 2 is impossible.

So, it really comes down to how you want to live your life.....0 or 12?

Don

Comment

taste or high ?

I agree. I used to drink to get high and numb...In the end i'd just be numb, not so much high. But it took me a long time to realise/see that i couldn't moderate my drinking. I had to go through the giving up, back on it trying to mod, back on it again cycle to learn... Only by going through this cycle myself, could i finally understand. Now?.. well, i'm af, going well, but at least the battle in my head between modding and abstaining is thankfully over. Best wishes to all out there! G.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

taste or high ?

High High High High High NUMB! Can't STAND the taste of alcohol, except for the alcopop crap that I used to drink as a morning primer. Bugger that. Plum, 6 days again is AWESOME - good on you. I was once referred to amongst my recovery friends as "The Golden Slipper" - but the fact was I KEPT on keeping on! I love sobriety and thank God that today it is not a struggle. The HIGH from the first drink lasts half an hour IF I am lucky, then it's anybody's guess how long this shit will hit the fan for after that.

Hi Gat!

Keep up the good work, Plum and all Bless
                    *Serenity is the calm WITHIN the storm*

Comment

taste or high ?

It's the high for me. The relief from stress. The crutch. I cannot drink 2 glasses of wine wo/wanting more, much more. No drinking for me. Mary
                      Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                      October 3, 2012

Comment

taste or high ?

the taste for me. i guess i really liked the taste of my own vomit

hahahahahaha

hahahahah

gawd. that was bad. but pretty close to the sad truth.
                        nosce te ipsum
                        (Know Thyself)

Comment

taste or high ?

Absoluetly the high! Even sometimes just for the entertainment from being bored. Often times for the relaxation in an uncomfortable situation. Whatever the case, I too wish I could be a one or two drinker.

I ordered the Kudzu and L-G today, I look forward to balancing my body out! Have you tried any supplements yet?
                          :wave:
                          There is nothing to fear but fear itself

Comment

taste or high ?

I have made every excuse in the book, but if I am honest with myself I have used alcohol to numb my emotions and to get high.
                            When I was looking to give up smoking I had to make the same analysis and I smoked because of ADDICTION not the taste of a cigarette, I gave that up, next is alcohol.
                            Keep up your good work
                            "Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance

Comment

taste or high ?

I take lots of herbs kudzu, milk thistle, l- tryptophan and many other herbs for joints and menopause, I am trying to train my brain to hate white wine by thinking of something gross in my wine glass, like dirt or dirty hair etc .....taking the idea from Paul Mckenna, he uses this method to fight cravings for food, I figure if it works with food it could work with wine,

I Can Make You Thin : TLC

thanks for all the replies to ( taste or high ), I think if we are honest we know we want to get high, and we have to find out why we want to get high and deal with that fact

Plumeria
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X