Nothing is working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing is working

What I like about the Revia (Naltrexome) is it happens slowly- that thinking you can never have a drink again feeling can be so daunting and too huge for some of us to cope with...I know I wasn't coping well. But by taking the Nal, and not denying yourself a drink when you really want one, the process is gentle and gradual- or it has been for me.

The drinks just don't really 'do' anything, anymore...therefore I find I leave one sitting there for hours, or I open a can and take a sip, and think "What the hell did I do that for!" Sometimes it even tastes gross, and I throw it away.

Something has just changed- it is NOT overnight, and you must be aware that during the first few weeks your drinking might even go up- but to stick with it, even when you fear it doesn't 'work' for you.

For me it has been an absolute godsend.

Comment

Nothing is working

Shirazgirl, I know what you mean about the urge and screaming back at it. It comes and stands by me, implacable, telling me that it always wins and I always lose. And thus far it has been right. But I am going to scream it away the next time it comes back. I don't want to die, and continuing to drink is certainly going to kill me.
      I can't drink and pretend to be sane. I can't drink and pretend to be moral. I can't drink and continue to live.

Comment

Nothing is working

Dear Slieb,
        I also struggle to quit - after every binge I am severyly anxious and want to rather die - I also have suffered from depression for most of my life. I am also desperate - PM me, maybe we can make a plan together.
        make the least of the worst, and the most of the best - everyday.

Comment

Nothing is working

ANTABUSE, Go get some! You can't drink on that. You pop ONE pill you can't drink for 2 weeks. If you do, it'll be a hospital jobby for you!
          Get it down you and you'll have to stay sober. It's saved me, my marriage and my baby girl.

Comment

Nothing is working

Fighting urges

Shirzgirl,

That's great advice to scream back at that little voice telling you "it's okay to drink - you deserve it, you're in control," when none of that is true! I am going to try that next time I want to stop by the liquor store. Why can we be so convicted the morning after drinking too much, but two days later that feeling fades? AL truly lies to us.

PAN-ICKED, I appreciate you reminding me of what I stand to lose. My husband, my child, my home, my work, etc. Everything in my life is wonderful, except for my AL abuse. If I could just get a handle on this, I will be so blessed!

Has anyone tried biofeedback, or neurofeedback for AL addiction? Apparently it can sort of rewire your brain to change its patterns. I think I'm going to try it!

Hang in there!

HockeyMom

P.S. Lil Michelle - glad you're doing well!!!

Comment

Nothing is working

Pan-icked was correct about what you stand to lose. I'm new here but not to the issue; I have lost the most important things in my life; my girl and her two kids. Much was blamed on my car hobby but it was the drinking that drove her away mostly. Now I'm alone and miss what I had more than you can imagine. If your family is offering to stand beside you, take advantage of it!!! Please! It's harder when you live alone, and getting over your regrets (and you will have them if you're still in love now) will make things even harder if you end up alone.

Keep working at it and when the people you love let you lean on them, do it if you need to. You are loved, but it sounds like you need to find the love of yourself like me. Be good and find the comfort that those around you are giving.

All My Best,
              Race-

Comment

Nothing is working

Race, I could have written that myself. My husband tried to get me to quit and offered to help, but I kept denying there was a problem and now he is gone. Lonely, regretful, sad are just a few of the feelings that come to mind.
                Let;s hope we can get back on track on those that loved us may still be there for us.

Winefree

Comment

Nothing is working

I'm having a similiar problem. It is much easier to have zero drinks than trying to moderate. Daily 1 and 2 drinks -starts to take place. I need to get back on track. Good luck and keep working at your goals

Comment

Nothing is working

nice place for me. good input. I am wanting to ask my docs (once again)about tapering off the anti-depressants. I seem to be alloted 2 weeks.for tapering..ah oh, not well, better get back on em.
                    I keep reading about the powerful effects these drugs have on our brains and personalities.
                    Is it worth it

First therapist I went to was pretty much right on. This is not depression. It is grief.
                    i'm nearly 60. Father of my kids died at 28 (alcohol related accident).

Later my work was with children with very distressing ailments. Lot of 'Jesus Loves Me' ceremony in my heart.
                    Doc was right. Could not have been so happy in that wonderful place had I not squashed the tears at least a bit.

So I guess, what I am getting at....is a lot of us seem be drawn toward the flame.....going out --- burning brightly.
                    I reckon the world needs us just a tad.
                    push button ...uh like now roly...ok

Comment

Working...
                    X