Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excessive dreaming

Paula

Yes, I've heard tales of people getting sedatives like valium to deal with their anxiety in AA. Myself a Dr prescribed me a morphine based painkiller knowing full well I'd just told her I was an alcoholic. All I can say is that I went wild on them, drank alongside and was double my dose withing acouple of days - in fact one night I took them continuously. In the morning I threw them away.

Campral is a non-addictive drug but I wouldn't recommend using it alone, it must be with proper support. I've always relapsed on it so it obviously doesn't work for me.

Comment

Excessive dreaming

I'm taking campral and seeing a therapist, who said it only works if your not drinking, unlike antabuse which causes major effects within minutes. She also suggested that I wasn't desperate enough to want to give up booze, I was shocked because I thought I was. I have too many people around me who are enabling me to drink(quote). I sat and thought about it and think she is right. Nobody or any substance can do anything about my problem but me.

Comment

Excessive dreaming

One does not dream well until they are sober for some time?
        Its healthy to dream, therefore we know we are going into REM.
        The brain in working correctly when we dream, thus we are going into 'deep' sleep.
        I dream every nite. i love it.
        Never a drinking dream.

An Improved Ripple. :monalisa:

Comment

Excessive dreaming

cacky;661593 wrote: GF...ive not had the drinking dreams. but i do know people in AA who were given very short timeframes to live because of what they did to their livers from drinking. now many years later.they are healthy because they stopped drinking. if you have a bad health report ...doesnt mean it cant get better
          Yes Never under estimate your bodies powers of recovery. One Person I know from Scotland was a gambler and alcholic (8 pints of strong lager every lunch time and 15-20 beers every night) from Age 18-26. After 8 years of Solid drinking he turned yellow (this was 1986) . Doctors told him his liver was finished but 23 years later he still alive. He has to not drink alcohol and be careful what medications he takes but he shows what can be done. Hope this helps.

Comment

Excessive dreaming

Each person/body is SO different. Our psyche too plays such a huge part in our successes and failures. I HAVE to take prescrip RX, yet have not in over 10 years overdone or exceeded. That's just me, tho, and I would NEVER tell anyone else to do what I do. My BIL is dying now, from a lifetime of excess, and has quit the medical community to live his last days the way he wants. When I actually look back, and around, at my experiences with loved ones and friends, and what AL and chemicals have done to them, it boggles the mind. I thank God each morning He has left me here, and now I need to understand my purpose. I only hope one message I give helps one person, somewhere.
            sigpic
            Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
            awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Excessive dreaming

I am only sober 4 nights, but have found other times of a few nights without wine that I have waking nightmares. I think I'm awake and there are spiders or people coming to get me.
              I'm still having insomnia too.
              Any idea how long this lasts for?

Comment

Excessive dreaming

GH, hang in there! 4 nights -- you're doing really well. The worst of the dreams for me were in the first week, but I had them sporadically through the first 3 weeks. Everyone's different of course. I hope yours subside, because I know how awful they can be.

'Read your other post about your parents' party and just wanted to tell you not to be too hard on yourself, but that's a great "deterring" memory to have in your banks the next time you want a drink. Good luck, and keep us posted!
                "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Comment

Excessive dreaming

girlhero - see if you can find some L-Theanine. This is an amino acid that can help your mood. For some reason, it tends to lighten up the dreaming. I take 200mg before bed whenever I'm getting dark nightmares. It doesn't interfere with daytime functioning if you take it in the day.

Comment

Excessive dreaming

Hello All I am New to this, but not new to recovery. Spent 15 years in AA. I have now been drinking for 15 years since. For the most part I control I do not drink hard liquer, nor everyday, I do not ove drink everytime I drink. But at least 20 times a year I drink to excess and black out. I want to make that 0 times. I want to care for myself enough to not do that. I do not want the AA way of life. I do not want to be "sick," "diseased," and , "powerless". I want to be healthy, working out and taking better care of me. Has anyone experienced this and dealoth with it successfully? Please help!

Comment

Excessive dreaming

Joyful One;678643 wrote: Hello All I am New to this, but not new to recovery. Spent 15 years in AA. I have now been drinking for 15 years since. For the most part I control I do not drink hard liquer, nor everyday, I do not ove drink everytime I drink. But at least 20 times a year I drink to excess and black out. I want to make that 0 times. I want to care for myself enough to not do that. I do not want the AA way of life. I do not want to be "sick," "diseased," and , "powerless". I want to be healthy, working out and taking better care of me. Has anyone experienced this and dealoth with it successfully? Please help!
                      Hi Joyful, and welcome! :welcome:

This is a good place where you'll find plenty of support, advice from others who have been (and are going) through the same thing. You may want to start by reading the MWO book, and browse the threads (accessed at the top), particularly the Toolbox and the threads related to binge drinking.

BTW, you'd be surprised how many of us are wine or beer drinkers who never touch a drop of "hard liquor," like you. The important thing is that you have something you want to change, and you'll find many ways to successfully do that without sacrificing your dignity. Good luck, and let us know how you're doing.

Comment

Excessive dreaming

Thanks Lil bit and Boss.
                        The dreams didn't come last night! I have a wee summer cold, but otherwise am well rested.
                        Can I ask, what do you guys say when someone offers you a drink?
                        I've got two events this weekend, with friends and acquaintances.
                        And as I'm already feeling down on myself the thought of owning up to personal issues in public is not making me happy. At all. Scared shitless actually!

Comment

Excessive dreaming

Glad you had a good rest last night, GH. I have many answers in my pocket for when someone offers me a drink (and BTW, you'll be surprised at how little people are interested in what you do or don't have in your glass). Here are my favs:

A simple, "No, thank you."
                          'No thanks, I'm not thirsty right now."
                          "Yes please, do you have any soda (or whatever)?" or "Sure! I'll have a club soda with lime."

If they ask you why you're not drinking AL (which they rarely do):

"Oh, I'm on a diet." or "I'm on a health kick."
                          "I'm not in the mood." (Also works on the hubby, heehee)

If possible, during your events this weekend, treat yourself to some sparkling water with lemon, lime, cranberry juice, or pineapple juice. It's very festive and different. It also helps to look at attending an event sober as an "experiment." You get to see how the others around you act when they get loaded. Believe me, it's an eye-opener!

Good luck!

Comment

Excessive dreaming

WOW! So glad I found this post. I thought my crazy dreams were because of that hypno sleep CD and was about to stop listening to it!

Comment

Excessive dreaming

You don't know my friends LilBit! Nosy buggers one and all.
                              But awesome answers, I will practice them so they roll off my tongue with ease!
                              I was AF for years in my early 20's, an AA father turned me off the booze, so I know what a bar at closing time looks like thru sober eyes! Sobering eh?
                              This time it snuck up in bottles of fine red wine that became more like plonk as they increased in frequency as I coped with the boring and stressful life as a Mom.
                              The running joke with my partner right now is - you are this odd W/O alcohol??
                              To which I grin like a maniac and say YUP!

Comment

Working...
                              X