Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I REALLY wish people would not call out 911..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Savon I agree with the others PANIC is PANIC and then alcohol to the mix and you can not expect people to make rational "decisions"....think about it, won't you PLEASE ???

I am wondering if this thread could stop others who are panicking and need attention from crying out (none of us want that I KNOW) ??

I know that is NOT what you untented to have as an out come here..but, maybe...just maybe ? Please think about it again (is all I ask you).
    sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Respectfully, I do not think Savon's post will stop others from calling 911 or posting here in panic..each indivdual handles their panics differently yet all are irrational..it is the nature of panic..

Comment

chrysa;667054 wrote: Respectfully, I do not think Savon's post will stop others from calling 911 or posting here in panic..each indivdual handles their panics differently yet all are irrational..it is the nature of panic..
        Respectfully to you...I don't think that is what I said (is it) ??
        Maybe the typo is confusing ...intended is what it should read not untended.
        I'll go fix that.
        I wasn't trying to start an argument here.
        Arguing is against my nature.
        I have been on this site for over 1 1/2 half years.
        If I was one to cause arguments I think EVERYONE would know that by now...If you think that I do then I would LOVE to see the evidence.
        sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

I'm seeing that I wasn't understood, so I wanted to clarify.

I am NOT saying that people shouldn't call 911 (for whatever their need, real or not!).

What I'm saying is that "calling out 911" on forum (especially with no explanation) is not good... 911 being the common thing for "Emergency" -- so I meant that in the generic sense.

It could just has easily been something like: "That's IT, my life is over!!" With no explanation. How are we to take something like that.

Sorry to bring up Seacailin - but she did something like that... she DID need help, but she wasn't going to kill herself (or maybe she thought it at that moment when she wrote it) --- but she left many of us panicking, not knowing if she was really going to kill herself... and what should we do to help, etc. etc.

Most of us haven't posted our phone numbers, addresses... so to cry HELP in an Emergency type of way with no way for anyone to help is not only futile, but - makes it so that when it's REAL, people won't care.

Certainly, I am sorry that Colbe was going through a bad situation, but she didn't tell us what she was going through, leaving us to think the Worst.

Go ahead, say Help, even 911 - but say also, read my post! And explain what it means...

I think some of you got it, but I saw that others didn't.
          Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

Sorry, I've been a bit on and off these last few days so thinking has been rubbish.

So, Savon is saying it's no use if folk just type a one liner without actually telling us what's wrong or how we can help. It's fairly useless.

Comment

Savon,
              I'm not a person who condones crying wolf, but I seriously doubt that people here, who have a sort of relationship, who are helping each other every day, would deliberately try to yank chains, as you imply. I also believe that when one is in the middle of a crisis, his or her mind may not work to its full extent. That is certainly understandable, and forgiveable. As Sunshine said, I would rather respond 100 times for a false alarm which could easily escalate into a serious situation than ignore the cries of a fellow MWO-er.
              I also think that by talking about certain people in the third person, when these people are here amongst us and reading these posts, is a bit cold. To presume that someone is young or old, smart or dumb, rich or poor, ignorant or sophisticated by reading between lines is daring and risky.

Hopefully we won't see more crises like our recent ones for at least a while, and that when people really need help they provide specific information. However, if vague cries for help come in, I hope there are those of us here who will continue to respond without assessing the quality of the outcry.
              Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
              AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

I think what Savon is actually saying is , yes cry out for help but give us someway to help. A lot of folk do want to help here, just that they can't do that without a little info.

Comment

Read your reply, Tulipe.. I only "read between the lines" with colbe in the sense that I don't think she understood fully the impact of her post... So, I put her as "young" (meaning inexperienced). I didn't mean to be judgmental about that. I actually was giving her a way out.

I've posted several things here that I regret... I was emotional, or whatever.

But, thanks, UK, for understanding what I was trying to say...

Seems writing can go awry.
                  Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

If Colbe had wanted help from people here maybe would have asked for it? She did not ask for help on the board- she wanted help from 911, and why shouldn't she?

Alcohol withdrawal or drinking too much can be life threatening and even if it wasn't- it can certainly feel like it. How was she to know if it was or wasn't if she did not call- if I feel that bad I don't really want a diagnosis from an online forum thank you very much.

I expect the next time (hopefully you are feeling a bit better now Colbe, I pray you wont feel that bad again) she wont bother telling anyone here what is going on with her.

Comment

Sorry Savon- X posted.

Comment

Savon, because you care.

Savon, you've said you were "upset" and "emotional"? (your words)
                        Does this mean you were "passionate" and "caring", Savon? (my words)

Agree that "dangling cries-for-help" might leave us all feeling sooo vulnerable
                        ! i.e. worried and afraid for days ...wanting to help ... feeling helpless.
                        These overwhelming feelings of helplessness could lead us right back to the bottle.

So ... thinking you *care deeply*, Savon? Well, thank you for that. And thanks for being here with your humor, honesty, wit, and deep caring.

P.S. fellow-responders, agreed intention is not to discourage folks from posting in "Need Help ASAP
                        !" But a good reminder to regulars to avoid leaving "cliff-hangers" !!
                        --if at all possible. (knowing full-well it might not be possible, in the throes of crisis, as so many wisely said)

Puddy.
                        ( briefly out-of-lurker-mode. Going to Grandma's in 5 days. Got Baclofen, but plan to avoid drinking on it, owing to shared experiences on the board. will go thru withdrawals there on Bac. have already proven I can't taper on my own at this stage.)
                        Woman takes a drink, drink takes a drink, drink takes a woman.

Comment

(Nice to see you, Puddy. Hope all goes well at Grandma's. Looking forward to seeing you on the boards after that, and to hearing how the Bac is working for you.)

I also want to throw a thought of mine onto this pile .. It's with regard to relationships on and sometimes outside of the boards here. Some (including myself) have taken part in chats in the chat room when someone has needed to talk, and others have even talked on the phone ... And I think sometimes when a post is made, it can be made in that regard ... ie., that others will "already understand" the meaning behind a post, because you've talked about it a fair amount (in chat) already.

That may or may not have been the case with the post in question. And it may not make any difference anyway, depending on the post. But, when I saw the particular post in question, I happened to already know some of the story and the poster's feelings behind it because I had been in chat with her and others a couple of times, so I had the benefit of having some information already on the situation.

However, had I not known a bit about it, I can also understand the feelings behind Savon's post.
                          Unfortunately, when we're upset, emotional, going through withdrawals, panicking, etc., we're not going to think things through perfectly .. nor would we be expected to; we just need to get it out; be heard .. and perhaps feel like we're not so alone in the moment.

Not sure if that makes any sense. ... Just wanted to throw that out there.
                          AF for two years. Slight relapse. Working on it at the moment.

Comment

Some good points there Cat. Like most things in life this isnt a black and white senario, there are grey areas too. I can see both points of view and both are valid imo. It is still a scary thing to read though.
                            Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

My larger concern is this.

Colbe is going through some horrific personal experiences right now and needs all the help and support she can get. I mean that sincerely.

I hope and pray this thread does not put her off.

We all post things we probably would have done differently if we were not in bad shape. It happens. This is a forum of alcoholics.

I have been lucky enough that when I have done that, my friends here have gently chided me and then let it drop.

Cindi
                              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Thank you 42Cat, for your unending perspicacity, and also for your kindness. :l

You're right -- sometimes posts in "Need Help ASAP!" are either:
                                1) directed at the many online firiends with whom the sufferer has existing relationships -- (I see that now, ...thank you for explaining about the PMs and Chat -- helps)

--OR--

2) are posted in a time orf panic and irrationality -- as suggested many times over by wise and understanding folks who responded.

Both important perspectives to maintain.

Having said that, still want to acknowledge that Savon's heart clearly is in the right place in expressing her own frustration, and also in, uh, "raising our conciousness". ... that this a big community, beyond individual relationships in developed and maintained in PMs, 'chat', and direct contact.

(selfishly, I l just love Savon's posts! just want to say that.)
                                Woman takes a drink, drink takes a drink, drink takes a woman.

Comment

Working...
                                X