Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Struggling again

Takeheart!
    I have done the same thiing,slinking off for awhile after each failure to reach a goal! But just remember that although you are verbalising a promise..it is actually to know one else but you! No one here will judge you..you don't when you live in glass houses..but they listen and they encourage!If you fail they just say 'try again',if you can't now, then maybe later! By the way,I've joined the 7.5 thread too..we do miss you there..and weve all done the 'tail between the legs act' at some point!
    Chicken

Comment

Struggling again

:welcome:

Read a lot of posts here and you will find out that you are not alone. *We, I, You* do not have an AL off switch. *I* think I have always been that way and people who have an off AL switch don't get it. *We* want to think we are like them be *we* just cannot stop drinking once we start. AL is a legal drug. Read this again and again.

The hangover lasts a lot longer than the buzz.

AL screwed up the bacterial balance in my digestive system. Once I got that back to normal the cravings went to -0-.

Read the first paragraph again.

You can do it!

Comment

Struggling again

TakeHeart.... you come join us on the 7.5 day pact - there's no need for confessions, if you don't feel like it. Heavens... this would be a very lonely forum, if all that have caved never returned

QuitinTime... I can only repeat what everyone else has said. You're not alone. I totally understand the AA dilemma as well.. same here. Too small a community... even my car in the parking lot would start the chitter-chatter. No can do.

Your drinking pattern also is not unfamiliar. Not at all. I've had substantial AF periods and then decided I was 'over it'. Nuh-uh. I was wrong. Completely forgot about the miserable, depressing day(s) after. So, again... you're not alone.

Make use of us here. Of the toolbox thread. Of the chat room. Read and post. The support here is truly what has helped me the most.

I hope that your wife's health will improve and lift a little of the enormous responsibility off your shoulders.
        Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Struggling again

To all who are struggling, I wish you well. I know from experience it is doable, if we really want to stop. I attend AA, and for me it's a lifeline. I did worry about people seeing me, then I thought who has seen me drunk ? at least I am trying to do something about my problem, I have stayed sober for 9 weeks now. I would advise do whatever it takes, life is precious, as is sobriety. Mwo has much to offer.

Comment

Struggling again

Thanks all!

Off to the confessional!!!

How are you doing Quitin?

Comment

Struggling again

Hi - got thru yesterday and will today also - tomorrow can take care of itself. AA is not an option - for various reasons mentioned.

Paula - no one has really seen me drunk - except maybe the Mrs. And bless her soul she doesn't complain - not even the look - she doesn't have a problem with it - I do. So by doing AA at a location where I'd be well known kills the whole point of AA to me. Having some people to talk with is good and I do have a couple of lifelines I can pull if it gets bad - I have and will continue to use them as they are good friends.

Sunshine - the wife isn't going to get better - she's end stage. We don't know exactly when it will happen and her QOL is good because of the meds right now but at some point in the not too distant future she's going to pass on. We are as prepared for this as we can be at least with finances etc etc provided of course we don't lose our health insurance for any reason. Another worry with some of the proposals being batted around in Washington these days. Not an excuse but it is a reality.

Comment

Struggling again

QT: That is just awful. I am so sorry for you guys. You seem to have accepted it and are dealing with it pretty well if you ask me. I would be an absolute wreck in your position. I find that I am at a loss for words. God Bless you both.

Comment

Struggling again

Thats what everyone tells me. I don't know that I am - its a very weird place to be for both of us. Weve been together most of our lives. We do take it ODAT but when the time comes its going to be rougher than this. SHe's a trooper though - better than I'd be about it. Thanks for your kind words and thoughts though. It sucks but what can you do except try and make the best of things - and we have as best as we can disregarding me and the wine thing.

Comment

Struggling again

Do you feel that you are drinking partly to alleviate stress? If so, looked into other ways to deal with that?

I don't know where you live, but who knows there might be some people from this site where you live. You could post a message asking to hook up with others in your area.

Also, have you tried non-alcoholic drinks? they give the illusion of having real ones and can help, cuz you can still get the feeling you are having one. The wines are not very good but some of the beers are great, like ODoul's Amber. You could try switching that. Can you start by not drinking wine on weekdays?

Comment

Struggling again

Quit.. I'm terribly sorry... I didn't realize.

I'd like to say 'no wonder, you're drinking'... but that wouldn't help you much and it's really the opposite of what you should be doing. You should be able to cherish every moment left now and be able to recall later.

I wish you all the strength in the world - my thoughts are with you.
                      Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Struggling again

Hi QuitinTime,
                        Feel the same. Am struggling. Decided yesterday was THE DAY. Stuffed it tonight. Reading Allen Carr's book and had hoped for a miracle but a bid disheartened by the other posts. We just have to keep going.
                        Good luck and best wishes!:goodjob:

Comment

Struggling again

Keep reading that book - I think it helps - first time I read it I stopped for 2 weeks then got cocky - that was before all of this stuff though - I even tossed my first copy thinking I'd beaten the stuff - not. In any event I bought two more and visit them every so often to reinforce what he says - its actually starting to work - last time I had some wine it tasted awful.

I'd actually rather not drink on weekends - that way I'll feel better and enjoy time off more - this is a process like I told the shrink. I gradually faded away from smoking and I'm going to do the same here.

You guys are the best - thanks for your help.

Comment

Struggling again

QuitinTime...

LOTS of hugs and prayers your way....

Comment

Struggling again

Can i add something?

people believe: as some people believe, or as people were led to believe: we have a disease!!
                              Yes we do, we check out of life drinking daily.

struggle is the first sign of awareness. you can't do it alone.

writing it all down and then READ, makes it REAL.

:thanks:
                              An Improved Ripple. :monalisa:

Comment

Struggling again

QuitinTime - sending you strength. I cannot imagine what you are going through.

Comment

Working...
                                X