Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm so confused - can I moderate?

Hi Agap - and Welcome!

It seems nearly Everyone who first comes on here wants to moderate (myself included)... and then, after experimenting, comes to the conclusion that it's actually Easier to just go AF.

One of the problems I see with moderating is that who's to say the next time you (or anyone) go overboard... is the time you do some real damage - to your relationship, yourself, your job, etc. etc.

And moderating (to me) is a slippery slope. Speaking for myself, while I have been able in certain situations to have 1-2, it really isn't enough. I want the buzz!! And the 1-2 make me want the buzz even more... than not having any.

I know that at first that may not be true. The first week or so AF is about changing some habits, as well as weakening the urge. But that's what happens! The urges are much less strong, easier to move your mind away from it to other things...

However, all that said - I STILL (and maybe never) will not say I will Never drink again! Maybe I'll get to that point. I do know that I can set smaller goals. This Sat. will be a month AF, and I feel like I'm much less depressed (dare I say ... Happy?). That alone makes me not want to blow it by having.. a couple (which WILL lead to more, if not immediately, then soon).

I also like saving the money!

I think I'm looking at this as an adventure. I'm trying to find the person I was before I ever started drinking - many yrs. ago. There was a time for all of us when we were able to deal with things, and, most of all maybe - HAVE FUN, without the need for alcohol.

That's where I want to be.

Mau - it's sad that we feel we have to come up with excuses for why we're not drinking! It might be a bit risky going to a party... but if you do go, just keep something in your hand that looks like alcohol. Keep it filled up so they won't want to refresh! Good luck.
    Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

I'm so confused - can I moderate?

I love how you guys are watching my back! :h

Honestly, even though my crowd drinks there is never any pressure for anyone to; like anything else it is up to me. It really is.

I think it will cause me more stress to make a big announcement regarding my new found sobriety than it wiil to just not drink.

My addiction is very specific -- binge drinking in party situations -- and that is the situation I am throwing myself into this weekend. I have to walk straight into this Fire and out the other side.

I do know what you guys are saying. I plan on driving myself...My husband can go in his car and leave whenever he wants...I have a funeral to attend before I go so I have my reason ready for my early departure.

I want to be able to come back on here and say "I DID IT!" and be accountable to you guys and to MYSELF.

I want my daughter to see me Sunday morning not laying in bed feeling barfy like she usually does.

Having said that, I am reserving the right not to go right up till Saturday night. My husband already knows I might send him. I am committed to the 30 days.

Peace.

Comment

Working...
      X