Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm desperate!

Hi Virgil,

I am new here but in reading some of your story I can relate to quite a bit of it. I've battled depression and alcohol for 35 years and also have a driving phobia, which I guess is an anxiety disorder of sorts.

One thing I've discovered that has become an issue is caffeine. If you do drink caffeinated beverages, just something to consider. While I like coffee, I may have to switch to decaf. Don't know if this applies to you or not.

I wish I had some words of wisdom but, like you, we just have to keep on keeping on and try to find the meds that will work and also do our best not to drink AL. Are you sleeping well? If not, you might ask for a sleeping aide. I take Lunesta and it makes a world of difference to get a decent night's sleep.

I see a psychiatrist and an addictions counselor. Have bounced around for years. Like you, I've done well academically. That's about it on my end.

Ok, just wanted to extend a hand of welcome and let you know that there is hope for people who have been fighting both the AL and pscyh issues for years. At least I believe this to be true. :l

AD

Comment

I'm desperate!

Gyco;818318 wrote: hi virgil,almost sounds like my story,ive drank since i was 16,im 57 now,your condition is not much differentthen most here,lets face it either after the 1st drink ,it relaxes you or you get as sick as a dog,but we keep using,up till 2000,i had stopped on my own many times and still continou to do so,the woopy goes out of the drink and it eventually doesnt do what it origianlly did,in 10 years ive seen,4 psychitrists,several psycoligists,1 coucillor,who actually helped,the Al and the meds are a crutch,life is not easy,but it is what it is,yes you like me are a so cALLED PERFECTIONIST,BUT LOOK UP PERFECTIONIST,sorry abot the capitals,i was recently reading an article from Dr.E.valliant, a renowned psychiatrist,he has givin me a lot of answers,research,simple dont drink and if doctors prescibe med definatey dont drink,virgil i do wish you well gyco ps your nt alone
      Hi Gyco,

Thanks for the reply.

I am particularly interested in the article that you mentioned by Dr E Valliant. Do you have a link to the article as I'd like to read it?

V.
      "Love's the only engine of survival"

Leonard Cohen

Comment

I'm desperate!

Spam;818360 wrote: Seriously now, I was prescribed Citalopram in Australia and I could kiss my doctor for doing so.

Someone else here has said that Citalopram did not work for them and I have friend who said the same. But please try it. It maybe the right one for you.
        Spam,

Thanks for the reply.

So, Citalopram worked for you. Do you mind my asking at what dosage did it have the desired effect? I fully appreciate that Citalopram may not work for me. Having tried five other SSRIs none of which were effective, I am prepared for Citalopram to be added to that list.

V.

Leonard Cohen

Comment

I'm desperate!

Anotherday;818405 wrote: Hi Virgil,

I am new here but in reading some of your story I can relate to quite a bit of it. I've battled depression and alcohol for 35 years and also have a driving phobia, which I guess is an anxiety disorder of sorts.

One thing I've discovered that has become an issue is caffeine. If you do drink caffeinated beverages, just something to consider. While I like coffee, I may have to switch to decaf. Don't know if this applies to you or not.

I wish I had some words of wisdom but, like you, we just have to keep on keeping on and try to find the meds that will work and also do our best not to drink AL. Are you sleeping well? If not, you might ask for a sleeping aide. I take Lunesta and it makes a world of difference to get a decent night's sleep.

I see a psychiatrist and an addictions counselor. Have bounced around for years. Like you, I've done well academically. That's about it on my end.

Ok, just wanted to extend a hand of welcome and let you know that there is hope for people who have been fighting both the AL and pscyh issues for years. At least I believe this to be true. :l

AD
          Hi AD,

Thanks for the reply.

I may well PM you about the driving phobia.

Caffeine is not an issue for me. I don't drink coke, tea and only the occasional coffee, which is usually decaffeinated.

I sleep OK but I need to qualify that. I get off to sleep fine and I get to bed about 11:30pm most nights. I wake up at typically 8:00am. But, I do have sleep apnoea where I stop breathing for short periods of time. Needless to say, I'm unaware of this but my wife has often noticed it. The other thing is that my sleep is often restless and it is not unusual for me to waken up more tired than when I went to bed!

I currently see a very good therapist who, from this week, I'll be seeing twice a week. For a few more weeks, I also see an alcohol addiction counsellor.

V.

Leonard Cohen

Comment

I'm desperate!

hi virgil. ive been on citalopram (my first AD) for just over a year.. started at 20mg, then upto 40mg. i didnt find it any help for anxiety and depression. all this time i was drinking excessively and my doc said that would be interfering with the drug. basically i wasnt giving it a chance to help. im now 16 days AF and hoping things will all turn out well.
            Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
            Keep passing the open windows

Comment

I'm desperate!

Virgil;818565 wrote: Spam,

Thanks for the reply.

So, Citalopram worked for you. Do you mind my asking at what dosage did it have the desired effect? I fully appreciate that Citalopram may not work for me. Having tried five other SSRIs none of which were effective, I am prepared for Citalopram to be added to that list.

V.
              I've been on 20mg / day for a couple of years now.

Spam

Comment

I'm desperate!

this thread proofs to be really helpful on medicament suggestion :goodjob::goodjob:
                since 23. Apr 2009 : TSM - failed to reduce units
                since 08. Jan 2010 : Naltrexone + Baclofen combination therapy
                reborn since 16. Jan 2010 : Alcohol Free (AF) - only taking Baclofen
                since 22. May 2010 : Baclofen against anxiety/fear
                since 14. Mar 2011 : off Baclofen - taking 25mg Topamax/day

My stats :
                http://www.baclofen-forum.com/stats/craving/

Comment

I'm desperate!

spuddleduck;818656 wrote: hi virgil. ive been on citalopram (my first AD) for just over a year.. started at 20mg, then upto 40mg. i didnt find it any help for anxiety and depression. all this time i was drinking excessively and my doc said that would be interfering with the drug. basically i wasnt giving it a chance to help. im now 16 days AF and hoping things will all turn out well.
                  spuddleduck,

Thanks for your reply.

Good to get the feedback about Citalopram. I've certainly been told that alcohol can impair the effects of SSRIs but there does not appear to be any scientific evidence in support of that statement. However, what matters is that Citalopram didn't help you for either anxiety or depression. And that's been my experience with five other SSRIs that I've tried over the last few years. In fact Prozac sent my anxiety sky-high. So much more research needs to go into these medications. What works for one person often does not work for another. It truly is a lottery.

Congratulations on your 16 days AF.

V.

Leonard Cohen

Comment

I'm desperate!

Spam;818671 wrote: I've been on 20mg / day for a couple of years now.

Spam
                    Spam,

Thanks for the information, which is very helpful.

V.

Leonard Cohen

Comment

I'm desperate!

Hello My Friend -

I've not been very active on either of the forums recently, but just wanted you to know I still think of you often and am so sorry to hear what a tough time you are having.

I have no words of wisdom for you or advice to offer, as I am also still in the heat of the battle myself.

I'm glad you've started this thread - you need to remember you are NOT alone.

Hugs.

Comment

I'm desperate!

WaitingToExhale;819099 wrote: Hello My Friend -

I've not been very active on either of the forums recently, but just wanted you to know I still think of you often and am so sorry to hear what a tough time you are having.

I have no words of wisdom for you or advice to offer, as I am also still in the heat of the battle myself.

I'm glad you've started this thread - you need to remember you are NOT alone.

Hugs.
                        WTE,

Lovely to hear from you.

You are on my list of people I wish to contact. But, over the last few weeks, I've not been up to such a simple task.

I'm sorry to hear that you are "also still in the heat of the battle" yourself.

The support that I have received here on MWO is something I'll cherish forever. It means so much and, needless to say, thank you for your support.

V.

Leonard Cohen

Comment

I'm desperate!

An Update

Hello Everyone,

I haven't posted on here for a while as I've had a break from MWO. I'm still struggling and, when I read all the success stories with baclofen, it only serves to depress me. Nevertheless, I am genuinely pleased for others.

Earlier in this thread, I said that I'd like to get my baclofen dosage down to 80mg daily. I did just that (slowly) and stayed at that dose for at least a week but it made no difference to my anxiety level. However, the fact remains that my anxiety did rise from Day 1 on baclofen, which was early December last year. So, I'm now trying an experiment. I have decided to increase my dose very slowly and monitor what happens. Only if I reduce my dosage to zero will I know if baclofen played a part in my increased anxiety. A bit of a dilemma.

I tried Citalopram (as mentioned previously) for a few days but started to get double vision. It turns out that blurred vision is a common side-effect of this medication! Another SSRI bites the dust.

So, I'm pinning my hopes on therapy. What I'm currently doing is radically different from anything that I have done before and probably explains why previous approaches have not been effective. It's only taken me 35 years to get to this stage! :upset:

If I am to reduce my alcohol intake, I need to get my anxiety under control. Sadly, to date, the anxiety has controlled me. Or, maybe I'll hit that elusive 'switch' with baclofen.

V.

Leonard Cohen

Comment

I'm desperate!

Hello Virgil,

I did a little read-up on Citalopram and it says that side effects relating the eyes disappear after some days?

Baclofen and the switch will help you with your alcohol, but then a lot of things will come up that have been covered previously by alcohol. Especially because of that you should remain AF after hitting the switch, so you have time to deal with the problems that caused you start to drink.

I am very hopeful for you, especially since you refer to a new way to go ...

Good luck Virgil!
                            since 23. Apr 2009 : TSM - failed to reduce units
                            since 08. Jan 2010 : Naltrexone + Baclofen combination therapy
                            reborn since 16. Jan 2010 : Alcohol Free (AF) - only taking Baclofen
                            since 22. May 2010 : Baclofen against anxiety/fear
                            since 14. Mar 2011 : off Baclofen - taking 25mg Topamax/day

My stats :
                            http://www.baclofen-forum.com/stats/craving/

Comment

I'm desperate!

craving;833463 wrote: Hello Virgil,

I did a little read-up on Citalopram and it says that side effects relating the eyes disappear after some days?

Baclofen and the switch will help you with your alcohol, but then a lot of things will come up that have been covered previously by alcohol. Especially because of that you should remain AF after hitting the switch, so you have time to deal with the problems that caused you start to drink.

I am very hopeful for you, especially since you refer to a new way to go ...

Good luck Virgil!
                              craving,

Thanks for your words of encouragement and support.

As for Citalopram, it may be that the side-effects do disappear after some days but it's pretty intolerable while it lasts. I couldn't handle it and that was at a low dose.

V.

Leonard Cohen

Comment

I'm desperate!

Hi Virgil, someone introduced me to EFT ( Emotional Freedom Technique) I am going to try it for anxiety, if nothing else it focuses the mind on something else. ust google EFT.
                                I hope it helps somewhat.
                                make the least of the worst, and the most of the best - everyday.

Comment

Working...
                                X