Feeling panicky and hopeless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

:welcome:welcome red stallion, here you'll find support and lots of advice. Most suggest that you start by reading the book and writing out a plan.
    All the best.
    make the least of the worst, and the most of the best - everyday.

Comment

good to see

:sofa:hi only came across this thread yesterday ..... anotherday ....... over time it really seems that you are making progress ...... i expect people have mentioned this before but i find it really useful to make a daily plan hour by hour about what i am going to do the next day before going to bed and then ticking off what i achieve as i do it ...... things as simple as , shower, radio (here in england we have an early morning news prog called Today), look at the TV guide and write down the progs i am going to watch, go for walk, text sister, iron, go to library, and so on. I too have (am having!) a constant battle with chronic alcohol abuse for over 30 years i have tried everything AA, librium, valium ..... like you i have ended up isolated, am on point of losing job (am teacher) dont see my 2 kids at all. Have recently had a hospital detox .......... with the help of valium and then a community nurse ....... lasted 20 days ..... been off work for 4 weeks spoke to them yes and they are ringing today to try to get me back until i leave in summer (not thro choice) am now taking campral and naltrexone ...... drinking again but it really feels as if it is in control ...... anotherday ....... i hope your life is still improving as it seemed to be as i read the thread .... sorry to everyone for writing so much but i guess i am really nervous about the phone call from work and the fact im out of work anyway in the summer ........ the drugs really do seem to be helping me tho at mo ........... take care pompeyman
      I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round .... really love to watch them roll .... no longer riding on the merry-go-round ...... I just had to let it go

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans

Comment

pompeyman;818264 wrote: :sofa:hi only came across this thread yesterday ..... anotherday ....... over time it really seems that you are making progress ...... i expect people have mentioned this before but i find it really useful to make a daily plan hour by hour about what i am going to do the next day before going to bed and then ticking off what i achieve as i do it ...... things as simple as , shower, radio (here in england we have an early morning news prog called Today), look at the TV guide and write down the progs i am going to watch, go for walk, text sister, iron, go to library, and so on. I too have (am having!) a constant battle with chronic alcohol abuse for over 30 years i have tried everything AA, librium, valium ..... like you i have ended up isolated, am on point of losing job (am teacher) dont see my 2 kids at all. Have recently had a hospital detox .......... with the help of valium and then a community nurse ....... lasted 20 days ..... been off work for 4 weeks spoke to them yes and they are ringing today to try to get me back until i leave in summer (not thro choice) am now taking campral and naltrexone ...... drinking again but it really feels as if it is in control ...... anotherday ....... i hope your life is still improving as it seemed to be as i read the thread .... sorry to everyone for writing so much but i guess i am really nervous about the phone call from work and the fact im out of work anyway in the summer ........ the drugs really do seem to be helping me tho at mo ........... take care pompeyman
        (((pompeyman))) I am sorry that you find yourself in such a tough spot right now too. It must be tough with the job going away in the summer and struggling with all of this other stuff. I am glad the drugs are helping you at the moment. That is going your way at least.

I think your idea is great to write things down hour by hour. I might try that. You take care and, yes, I am feeling better. On to day 4 AF tomorrow morning, closing out day three here on this side of the pond. Take care of you...AD

Comment

Anotherday,

I must firstly apologize for not having posted on your thread until now but, as you know, I've been very low for the last couple of weeks. Please accept my sincere apologies.

I've just read your entire thread and so much of it resonates with me. I don't know where to begin. Yes, I do - I'll PM you.

In the meantime, I just want to send you a big :l through cyberspace!

Take care and try to stay strong.

V.
          "Love's the only engine of survival"

Leonard Cohen

Comment

hi anotherday,interesting,treatment,youll find youll get out of it,wht you put into it,like here,i do no where ur at,ive only been to treatment once,to me that was enuff to see a light go off,tried many other means,AA,religion,the freind thing,AA is not for all,there concept is great,the friend thing never works,most of the time u get chastised,here is good,depending on your state of mind,we or i no,specially if youve gone thro treatment,i am reesponsible for ME,i find the people with Al or drug addictios,or any kind of addiction,are like the titanic,they flounder,givin a second chance,the captain of the ship,do you think he would make the same decision,its all about choice,an beleive me when i say it,itis your choice to make the rt decision,find what works for YOU,of late i havent dank,i dont tell anyone how long its been but me,the calender thing works for me,i an look back and reflect and im the only one tht has to give me a moth lashing,for being so foolish,dont let anyone kid you,we all loved are addiction till it got out of hand.i do wish you well gyco

Comment

dandg spelling errors thank goodness im not in schooll anymore hahahaha

Comment

Gyco;818972 wrote: hi anotherday,interesting,treatment,youll find youll get out of it,wht you put into it,like here,i do no where ur at,ive only been to treatment once,to me that was enuff to see a light go off,tried many other means,AA,religion,the freind thing,AA is not for all,there concept is great,the friend thing never works,most of the time u get chastised,here is good,depending on your state of mind,we or i no,specially if youve gone thro treatment,i am reesponsible for ME,i find the people with Al or drug addictios,or any kind of addiction,are like the titanic,they flounder,givin a second chance,the captain of the ship,do you think he would make the same decision,its all about choice,an beleive me when i say it,itis your choice to make the rt decision,find what works for YOU,of late i havent dank,i dont tell anyone how long its been but me,the calender thing works for me,i an look back and reflect and im the only one tht has to give me a moth lashing,for being so foolish,dont let anyone kid you,we all loved are addiction till it got out of hand.i do wish you well gyco
                Gyco, thanks for your post. I am done with the rehab thing as I've been to around seven of them or so. The last one I drank my way through it and just spent too much money while doing so.

I am on day 4 of no wine although I woke up with the urge to go get some this a.m. Last night was tough as I spoke with a friend who told me I have a lot to overcome (i.e. chronic unemployment for far too long, my age, this job market, the future, how to explain things, etc). Nonetheless, if I am to get out of the place where I live I must not drink. I have two choices - go through the pain of not drinking and try to beat this or die here. I don't want to die HERE for sure so I will just take it one day at a time and stay close to MWO.

I am counting as if I don't and announce it here I don't trust myself. I know me. I'll drink so I have to "report in" as it were.

Comment

Virgil;818965 wrote: Anotherday,

I must firstly apologize for not having posted on your thread until now but, as you know, I've been very low for the last couple of weeks. Please accept my sincere apologies.

I've just read your entire thread and so much of it resonates with me. I don't know where to begin. Yes, I do - I'll PM you.

In the meantime, I just want to send you a big :l through cyberspace!

Take care and try to stay strong.

V.
                  Hugs back Virgil from across the big pond! I did receive your PM and thank you and sent you one back.

You take care of you well, my friend, and stay strong too!

AD

Comment

Hey Anotherday. Like a lot of people here, I have a similar problem. Especially with the class thing. I used to catch myself skipping class and drinking. For a few weeks I was even driving to campus with alcohol in the car, sitting in my car thinking about how I like drinking more than going in to class, then drinking in my car and driving home to drink some more. I don't know what to do either because after this semester I believe the school is going to take action because of my grades. Surprised they haven't yet.

Anyways, I was good for about 3 weeks on Antabuse, then I stopped taking it for a week, drank myself silly and felt so sick that I found the courage to start again. Day 2 again. Definitely opened my eyes as to how bad I actually felt while drinking after being sober that period of time and starting again.

What I'm saying is just admitting it is a big step. Once you get a day, then maybe 2 days, then maybe 5 or 6, you'll realize this is a good thing. It's hard at first, but with perseverance you can make it.

Best of luck to you!
                    Burr

Comment

Ad,
                      Today is day one for me. It is something we all can do if we stick together. We need to learn to love ourselves and beleive in us. I wish I could go to bed every day at 5:00 to skip the bewitching hours. Wine is such an evil thing...
                      hanging

Comment

I am proud of you Hangin!

Hang in there AD, we need you Sober!

Comment

hangingon;819898 wrote: Ad,
                          Today is day one for me. It is something we all can do if we stick together. We need to learn to love ourselves and beleive in us. I wish I could go to bed every day at 5:00 to skip the bewitching hours. Wine is such an evil thing...
                          hanging
                          Thanks, hey day ones are super tough. You hang in there hangingon, just like your user name. I can sure relate to you wishing you could sleep through the bewitching hour. Me too.

AD

Comment

Hoping for the best;819957 wrote: I am proud of you Hangin!

Hang in there AD, we need you Sober!
                            Hoping for the best, thank you. I am hoping your day is going well.

It's tough, hah?

AD

Comment

BurrCO;819670 wrote: Hey Anotherday. Like a lot of people here, I have a similar problem. Especially with the class thing. I used to catch myself skipping class and drinking. For a few weeks I was even driving to campus with alcohol in the car, sitting in my car thinking about how I like drinking more than going in to class, then drinking in my car and driving home to drink some more. I don't know what to do either because after this semester I believe the school is going to take action because of my grades. Surprised they haven't yet.

Anyways, I was good for about 3 weeks on Antabuse, then I stopped taking it for a week, drank myself silly and felt so sick that I found the courage to start again. Day 2 again. Definitely opened my eyes as to how bad I actually felt while drinking after being sober that period of time and starting again.

What I'm saying is just admitting it is a big step. Once you get a day, then maybe 2 days, then maybe 5 or 6, you'll realize this is a good thing. It's hard at first, but with perseverance you can make it.

Best of luck to you!
                              Burr
                              Thanks, Burr. Here is hoping your day 2 is going well. Day 2s are tough.

I hope you can work things out with the school. Have you seen a Dr. at your school? That would be my suggestion - to see a psychiatrist if your school has one. At times they will write notes or letters in these situations. It could help.

AD

Comment

Working...
                              X