Migraine sufferers withdrawal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wasn't sure where to put this but since it relates to my current detox/recent sobriety, and it's causing me concern that I should post here.

I've been a migraine sufferer since a child, it runs in my family down the female side. Sometimes I've had a couple of years without one, then I'll have one every month usually just before my period starts. Recently I started having them after every 'session' usually the day after - I'm not talking a hangover as I know what they are but these are typical Aura migraines with visual disturbances followed by feeling washed out and occasionally being sick.

I had figured it was the red wine and lately speciality ciders that were the trigger - along with AL in general (although one or two other suffers said vodka or champagne are ok for sufferers. As if!).

Anyway I stopped drinking last week and had two auras/feeling exhausted - one on day 1, second day 2. Today is day 6 and this morning I've had visual disturbance that went away after half an hour leaving me with a dull headache and then another 30 minutes later. My nose is also tingling down oneside - now I've had auras involving numbness down one side or in a limb once or twice way in the past so presume my nose is simply part of that.

So have any other migraine sufferers had problems when they stopped drinking?Did you find you had quite a few initially?

I know detoxing can muck around with your blood pressure, I'm pretty healthy apart from the drinking - was out on my bike yesterday morning for 40 mins so I'm not unfit. I'm hoping this is a side effect that will pass and not something more sinister like a brain tumour or anything dangerous.

Guess I'm asking for a bit of reassurance here.

Ukblonde, I've no advice as I've never suffered from migraines - but I just want to let you know that I'm "listening" and you're not alone. If you are seriously worried please go to a doctor and share your worry with him/her.
    make the least of the worst, and the most of the best - everyday.

Comment

Thanks. Meant to add I've not had any shakes or fits but my sleeping is rubbish and getting night sweats. I'm really pleased I've gotten this far especially as I often will drink on top of or to cover up migraines - how insane is that!

Comment

Working...
      X