I had no idea!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had no idea!

I can't remember a day I haven't had at least 2 glasses of wine a day and it got to be two bottles is last week which scared me in that it was so easy and I didn't feel drunk. I tried to trick myself in all sorts of ways in order not to think about it. I did 2 days cold turkey and last night I had to have a couple of glasses since I was feeling like I was tripping. Nothing was making sense and my motor functions were shot. I was finding it hard to do normal things. They became very complex and foreign to me. Today I didn't have a drink all day and the tremors, tight shoulders and muscle twitching have been with me all day. I started searching the I Internet and read that you shouldn't quit cold turkey and you should consult a dr. Is that true? I just had a glass of wine since I got super edgy and hot, shaky and tight in the chest. I had no idea withdrawal symptoms would hit me, let alone how I tense they are. I used to stop drinking for a couple of days at a time with no effct but that was before my drinking got to this level. I just wanted to slow down. To make a new rule to never drink alone. I know I can do it I just wonder how to get through the withdrawal and when you should go to a dr for help. I've been drinking lots of detox tea, am eating healthy, taking vitamins and long walks. Then tonight's research atop my symptoms got me to write.I appreciate this safe place.
    Wiggy

I had no idea!

Wow. Five people viewed this and didn't even write me. Some forum!

Comment

I had no idea!

most of us were in bed Wiggy.Hope you keep this up tho, you got a plan and thats good xx

Comment

I had no idea!

I didn't suffer much in the way of withdrawl, so I can't really comment, but a lot of people get them bad.
        There's a alot of good advice to be had.
        I hope you find what you're lookng for.

Comment

I had no idea!

Wiggy, where in the world are you? The magic of this site is that there is always someone online! Send me a private message if you will, and read some of the posts. There is great advice (and support) here! All the best!

Comment

I had no idea!

Hi Wiggy - sorry you are having a bad time of it.
            I was drinking two bottles of wine a day when I stopped completely cold turkey earlier this year. I didnt have any severe withdrawals, I experienced night sweats for a short time and sleeplessness which lasted 3/4 weeks. You are doing all the right things, re drinking lots of herbal tea and taking exercise. If you are still concerned it wont do any harm to consult your Dr. Whether you are considering cutting down on your drinking or quitting it is alway recommended that you have at least 30 days off completely in the beginning to readjust your body. I wish you well.....
            "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
            AF - JAN 1st 2010
            NF - May 1996

Comment

I had no idea!

Hi Wiggy and welcome!
              I usually try to respond to newcomers as quickly as possible, but when you wrote I was fast asleep! I'm glad you've found us. When I quit drinking I did consult my doctor, and she prescribed me Ativan. She still refills my prescription as needed, since it is an anti-anxiety medication, although I rarely take it. Would you be able to go see a doctor to ask for help? Please stick around, there is a lot of information on here!
              K9
              :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

I had no idea!

Wiggy, I also try to respond when I see new people here but I was also asleep when you posted. Anyway, Welcome. You will find great people and information here - just takes some time to research throughout the different areas of the site.

Here is an excellent website you might want to visit:
                Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) — Why we don’t get better immediately) ? Digital Dharma

The only physical withdrawals I had were night sweats and some anxiety. All of that passed really quickly for me - just a few days. I've concentrated on lots of water, healthy foods and L-Glutamine for cravings.

Exercise is invaluable - it sounds like you're doing a lot of things right.

Hopefully others who can address your specific questions about withdrawal will come along with more answers. I know the first 3 days are the hardest, but I don't know when it's time to see the doctor.

Stick around and post often. Eventually you'll get used to the site. I would say most people visit the General Discussion area more than any other - also the Newbie site on Just Starting Out.

Comment

I had no idea!

Hi. I wouldn't look into the viewings. Lots of people view the sight, post and are not signed up to it. Some people are too scared to post and are still coming to terms with there drink problems so please don't look into the veiws.
                  I personally have never suffered as bad as you are with withdrawal. try and do what's best for you. If you are able to quit cold turkey then great, if you feel the syptoms are too strong to deal with then cut down and stop.
                  You have to remember that withdrawal is your body detoxing of all the posion. I always look at it as my body getting me back for all the abuse.
                  Try to drink lots of water. Have you got any supplements? Eat lots of sugar as well, that helps and never be worried to seek medical attention if you feel you need it.
                  Best of luck!

Comment

I had no idea!

Hi Wiggy,

Hang in there!! I think , as you said, the level of AL you have been used to will make the first few days tougher but it will be worth it if you are WILLING to get through it. The anxiety and restlessness at first is tough but from my experience, I can't believe what a false idea I had that the drinking was calming because I am much calmer now that I'm not drinking.

Keep coming here, support really helps , don't isolate!
                    May our choices today not result in regret, but rather be wise

Comment

I had no idea!

Hi Wiggy
                      Just saw your thread. Can't add much to what the others have said. Hope you are feeling a little better now.
                      Lots of fluids!!!!
                      Wally22:confusedmonkey::confusedmonkey::confusedmo nkey:
                      If I don't want to brag but I can still wear the earings I wore in highschool
                      November 2, 2012

Comment

Working...
                      X