starting out with balcofen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have questions about balcofen. I was just in for a physical and was open and honest with my doctor about my abuse of alcohol. I desperately want to change my habits and cut down on my drinking for the sake of my family, my health and well being. I told her I had tried topramate last year in an attempt to cut down and the side effects were so bad that I discontinued after 3 months and went back to my old habits with drinking even worse than I was before. She looked into other options and prescibed 10mg balcofen. She never gave me specific directions other than gradually moving up into higher doses. Is there anyone who can give me advise on how to get started and what dosage I should start at to avoid side effects? I would greatly appreciate any advise on this. Thank you! :new:

Check out the threads on the medicine section. There is a lot on Baclofen there but generally it is taken in divided doses starting out as follows:
    5 mg 3/day spread about 8 hour apart for 3-4 days
    10/ 3/day again for 3-4 days.
    then slowly raising by 10-20 mg/day for 3-4 days depending on side effects and response.

IMO it is best to be totally abstinent for it to work at lowest possible dose and avoid cumulative side effects (it works similarly to alcohol so they seem to be worse if you do drink while taking it. I never have tried drinking on it tho but some who have so report).
    Side effects are mostly sleepiness especially when starting out or adjusting upward on a schedule. It sometimes helps to take a smaller dose 6 times/day because the half life is just 1-2 hours or so and it can be a noticible "peak dose" effect.
    I have been totally abstinent on baclofen for about 11 months now. I slowly went up to 110 mg/day and then slowly tapered to 15 mg (just at bedtime) where I have been for several months. I may try going without it after the holidays.
    Best of luck
    It saved my life
    sunny

Comment

Congratulations on having a good doctor! Most are hostile to the idea of treating alcoholism with baclofen.

I'd reiterate everything Sunny said. Baclofen saved my life too. Before taking it, I hadn't managed more than 4 consecutive days sober in the last 12 years. Almost effortlessly, I was suddenly going a week, 2 weeks, 3 week stretches without a drop of booze or even yearnings for booze. So this is an amazing drug. I know it sounds too good to be true, but you have nothing to lose, and everything to gain. Good luck, & give your doctor a big kiss from me!

Comment

Thank you so much for answering my questions about the balcofen. I just stated it today a half tablet 5 mg 3 times. We had our Christmas party for work so I had 2 cocktails and felt really drowsy from them. I'm hoping with some willpower and this med, will help me on my way to abstainance. I appreciate your kind words and support. I'm on my own with this so it's nice to know there are people out there that understand what I'm going through.

Comment

Your will power and executive decision making will be enhanced by the craving reduction afforded by the baclofen. Good luck. Try to be AF as much and as early as possible for reduced side effects and lower dose needed it seems (chicken or egg?-not sure) but lots of people doing well long term. Welcome to the way out.
          Sunny

Comment

Following this thread and others with interest. I have never really considered taking meds before, but I know I need to think about these options. I have always been terrified of drugs and yes, I know how ironic that is coming from a drinker!

Sunny, were you medically supervised? I don't even think it is available in the UK so I would have to buy online and not be supervised. Has anyone else done this?

Good lucj with the Baclofen Hoot, let us know how you get on please

Comment

You may be able to consult someone on the continent who would supervise you. I went to a clinic in Georgia where they have used this with good results. If you inform your doctor after you become informed yourself you may be able to convince the doc to prescribe it to you off label. Read in the med threads to find out more. Also read dr Olivier Ameisen's book. It was very helpful (especially the last part which contained the info on baclofen and other drugs)
              Good Luck
              Glad you are thinking along new and potentially helpful lines.
              Sunny

Comment

We gave our doctor a copy of Dr. Ameisens book and told him it had been effective for us (buying it online) and he prescribed it. There are lots of studies and articles online if you don't want to buy the book to give to a doctor.

Comment

Working...
                X