Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heavy Drinking During First Month of Pregnancy

susannary;1515173 wrote: WOW WOW!It must be useful for you
    Susannary, do you mean that AA or sobriety must be useful for me? I would probably have to say that both have been helpful, although I just started AA.

Without alcohol to hide behind and to take the edge off my pain/anxiety/worry, I have pretty much had to deal with things as they happen. That's not to say that I'm not struggling, though. I still have a hard time worrying about my baby, but at least we are halfway through the pregnancy now.

Comment

Another pregnancy update. Still moving down the road, heading into the third trimester. I have an ultrasound tomorrow, to assess fetal development and growth. All of the ultrasounds so far have been within the normal ranges, but I still worry about the heavy binge drinking that I did right before I found out I was pregnant.

I still find comfort in hearing stories from other women who have been through this, who drank before they knew that they were expecting a baby, and who decided to continue their pregnancies. Again, I know (believe me, I know) that every pregnancy and every woman is different, but in the dark hours, it makes me glad to know that I still have HOPE, as a practical matter, because my child might get to be one of the lucky ones.

Comment

Thinking of you and so glad you are having a healthy pregnancy and baby. Make sure you get lots of time to relax.

Comment

Yes to Coffee and Wine: Rewriting the Rules of Pregnancy - WSJ.com

Just saw this article from the Wall Street Journal posted on one of the baby forums that I'm following. Having dwelt a lot on the issue of drinking while pregnant, I can agree with her that the research is spotty regarding the impact of truly "light drinking" during pregnancy. What troubles me is that I know there are people who have trouble drawing the line at light (I am one of those people).

And the article makes a good point that frequent heavy drinking or binge drinking makes it more likely that children will have serious cognitive problems.

Just passing this along. I was engaging in heavy drinking/binge drinking before I knew I was pregnant, and I have completely given up drinking. Given where I was, I can't imagine going back to drinking or trying to drink "lightly."

Comment

Over the last several weeks, I've received private messages from women who are going through what I went through - drinking and then finding out they are pregnant.

I think it might be helpful to give an update, for anyone else who comes along and finds this forum. As I write this, I am sitting in bed next to my daughter, who is almost three months old. She is absolutely beautiful, and she does not have the tell-tale facial signs of fetal alcohol syndrome (i.e. she does not have a smooth philtrum, etc.) I still feel guilty about what I did, and I know I will be watching her closely to see if she misses any milestones, if I need to talk to her doctor about an intervention for fetal alcohol exposure.

I try my best to just focus on my daughter - on making her smile, on making her happy. I love her so much!

Comment

I am so happy for you and Congratulations on your wee baby:h

Comment

Congratulations on your new daughter!!

Comment

Working...
                X