Severe nightmares/waking dreams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not necessarily alcohol related, though I do drink alot late at night and I am aware this can cause some sleep disruption - but it hasn't done this to me before.

The last couple of weeks I have been having progressively worse bouts of anxiety at about 4-5 in the morning, about 4 hours after I go to sleep. I wake up, suddenly, with a feeling of dread. Originally this was accompanied by rational anxious thoughts, could I afford certain things, what side effects were my tablets going to have? The last couple of nights however its changed to what i can only describe as a waking nightmare. I am conscious, but can't do much, I get a nightmare scenario in my head, mostly this has been that the devil is after me and in my dreams so i cannot sleep, last night it was that i needed a glass of water more than anything but could not get it.

I want to know if anybody else has experience of this, drinking or not, and knows of anything I could do to end these horrible episodes, I'm finding it very hard to sleep now and live in fear of the small hours of the morning.
    I have faced it, a life wasted, and I am never going back there again

To ya'll my name is inchy. I am an alcoholic - and priority number one is making it to the end of this day AF. No excuses.

could be sleep paralysis...it's normal, but quite freaky. i have it when i nap during the day sometimes, where everything feels like i am awake, but i cannot move or do anything to react to what i am perceiving to be going on around me. it can be terrifying. i'm sure alcohol makes it worse at night...i definitely had major anxiety at night when i was drinking. its one of the many reasons i had to stop drinking, it was sooooo bad.

are you tapering off?
    10-06-2012

Comment

I don't drink very much, about 10 units but its all late night, about a 4 hour period. I don't exactly perceive whats around me when I'm asleep, it's more i have a half nightmare half waking perception so it ends up as the nightmare being in my waking life when i wake up.

To ya'll my name is inchy. I am an alcoholic - and priority number one is making it to the end of this day AF. No excuses.

Comment

google sleep paralysis and see if you can relate. it is very common.
        10-06-2012

Comment

and the things i think i'm perceiving, aren't there...it's a dream.
          10-06-2012

Comment

thanks betty, went to google and it does seem likely to be sleep paralysis, hoping this is a short term issue, have you suffered from it long term?

Comment

When I was drinking I had sleep paralysis all the time during my naps. I have not had it since I got sober. I think it was the alcohol and daily withdrawals messing with my mind. It was so bad that I didn't want to take a nap, but I was hungover so I had to.
              :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

InChains;1483439 wrote: I don't drink very much, about 10 units but its all late night, about a 4 hour period. I don't exactly perceive whats around me when I'm asleep, it's more i have a half nightmare half waking perception so it ends up as the nightmare being in my waking life when i wake up.
                I could not help but comment Inchy.......where else but MWO could a person state that 10 units nightly was 'not much'.

I drank 15 units nightly ( errrm. 15 times the healthy limit ) and wondered why I was tired and depressed and anxious !

Denial really is NOT a river in Egypt eh? :H:H

Comment

kuya you made me laugh there xD Yes 10 is not good (plus binges)

K9: that is encouraging, am really hoping this ends with sobriety

Comment

K9Lover;1483454 wrote: When I was drinking I had sleep paralysis all the time during my naps. I have not had it since I got sober. I think it was the alcohol and daily withdrawals messing with my mind. It was so bad that I didn't want to take a nap, but I was hungover so I had to.
                    I couldn't nap hungover.......really annoying ! Now I can nap easily but can't sleep at night, nap or not.......grrrrrr

Comment

I can't nap, can't sleep in the day, struggle to sleep at night at the best of times

Comment

I don't think I was really "napping" hungover either...more like laying there miserable, but half-asleep and half-awake with the horrifying sleep paralysis. Like I said, now that I REALLY sleep, I don't experience it anymore. So maybe it has something to do with the quality of sleep you are getting as well?
                        :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Working...
                        X