Symptoms of Detox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Symptoms of Detox?

I am now 5 days without alcohol and am worried about my body. My eyes are bloodshot and won't stop watering, and they look slightly swollen. My face is ruddy and "fatter" than normal. I seem to be getting a belly and am worried about fluid build-up. Is any of this normal for someone going off long-term alcohol abuse? How long until I am back to "normal?" I have been eating a vegetarian diet for the last 5 days as well, and started exercising again, but am alarmed by my appearance.

Thanks,
    Vanessa

Symptoms of Detox?

Vanessa, you don't say how much you have been drinking, so it's hard to advise. By day 5 the alcohol should be out of your system and you should be through withdrawal, but everyone is different. If you can go to a doctor or urgent (walk-in) care, please do NOW. If not, please just rest and drink water (with lemon, if possible). Your poor body may just be reacting to all the changes (no alcohol, exercise, veg diet). It takes a while for our poor bodies to get back to 'healthy'.

Are you taking any supplements or other meds?

Is anyone with you to watch out for you? Can you call someone to come be with you? I'll be thinking of you!
    Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

Symptoms of Detox?

Vanessa....

It's great that you have quit drinking! That is the best thing you can do for your health and your future. I am so sorry, though, that you are experiencing this baffling swelling. Siren's advice to get to a doc is solid. S/he can help you figure out what might be causing this.

Allergic reactions don't show up as typical alcohol withdrawal symptoms....but alcohol really screws up our innards. It's really tough on the stomach and colon. I have been experiencing similar symptoms for 3 weeks off and on. Swollen,itchy, red face and neck and eyes....doc says it's something going on the gut to produce this classic allergic reaction, but we don't know what yet. I was advised to steer clear of high-histamine foods for now including...peanuts...tree nuts...soy...eggs and dairy.

It takes some time to heal the damage from chronic, long-term alcohol abuse, but we can get there with care. It's good you're here...let us know what you find out.
      Sober for the Revolution!
      AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

Symptoms of Detox?

Thank you Siren and Turnagain,

I am taking a bunch of supplements: multi-vitamin, super multi-B, fish oil, liver cleanse, calcium, and some others. My boyfriend came from out of state to be with me; he is feeding me three times a day and running with me. I have been told that perhaps my belly bloat is from all the veggies I'm eating....I sure hope so!

I was drinking a fifth of vodka a day for a while, then tapered to a bottle of wine per day. At the end I bought another bottle of vodka and got completely wasted. Next day decided I had had enough, and now I'm 7 days sober. I feel better, and my face is starting to look better.

Maybe my tummy is poochy because my appetite is back and I'm eating much more than I used to! :-)

Feeling good,
        Vanessa

Comment

Symptoms of Detox?

H Vanessa,

I can't say what causesi the ' poochy ' effect. I only know that every woman I was in Rehab with had it. Tiny little stick like ladies with bellies getting bigger by the day. My adive would be to listen to your body and feed it accordingly, don't over do it, or the excercise. Be kind to your body and yourself. It's a very alcoholic trait to be a day or two away from your last drink and drag that poor poisened, undernourished body and mind up and say right you Will get well ! But that's just another form of punishment. Make demands on yourself, but kindly and gently.
          I say this because I know if I saw a fellow human being in the state that I'm in at the end of a binge the last thing I would do would be to send them to boot camp.

I wish you all the best in your gentle recovery.

Lea
          Today, I will live one day at a time and do one thing at a time

It was obvious from a very early age that my mind and I were not going to get on. Kay Redfield Jameson

Comment

Symptoms of Detox?

Thanks for checking back in, Vanessa. You've made it through the toughest part of detox. Sounds like you have a solid plan in place to keep going!

If you haven't already poked around the Toolbox or Newbies Nest you may want to dive in to get more tips and support. The links are in my signature.

AF living takes work, at first, but it is worth it!

Take care, friend....
            Sober for the Revolution!
            AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

Symptoms of Detox?

Be well Vanessa. I am rooting for you!!
              I love my family more than alcohol.:h
              Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Symptoms of Detox?

Dear Vanessa,

My recommendation would be to see a doctor as soon as possible. You need to have your liver checked. I don't mean to be an alarmist, but you need to take care of you. Find out what you need to do.

I'm so happy that even with drinking a 5th a day that you are AF for 7. That is wonderful. Keep it up. Seven days is not the end, it's the beginning.

For someone else who posted, I read that there are 3 D's to alcoholism: dermatitis (itchy, flaky skin), diarrhea, and dementia. My dear uncle had them all. Lovely man, regardless.

Btw, my MIL, who was a nurse, said alcoholics had a spiderly look: extended abdomens and thin limbs. I recognize it easily in others, and am sympathetic.

Give it your best, Sweetie.

Juja
                "Remember, you are responsible for creating your life by every thought, action, choice. Choose well." Oprah Winfrey

Comment

Symptoms of Detox?

What your MIL says make me think of that old saying "beer belly" !
                  Best of luck on your recovery.
                  Any headaches ?
                  Meow-Meow
                  MonaKitty

Comment

Symptoms of Detox?

Vanessa, you're doing great. I noticed that I gained water weight when I stopped drinking, but continue on. Eat well, take vitamins and drink, drink drink... WATER! Your body needs nutrition and hydration. Any puffiness can be addressed later on. Keep checking in. We're all walking the same path.
                    :notes:
                    we are human beings with alcohol problems not alcoholics with problems caused by drinking

Comment

Symptoms of Detox?

Alcohol is a diuretic and laxative, it also knocks you out at night. Whenever I quit I noticed I'd get rebound water retention and constipated, as well as very tired through insomnia which could be causing the red eyes.

I'm sure this will pass, if not then go see your doctor.
                      I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Symptoms of Detox?

How are things Vanessa ? Wishing you well and hope to hear from you.
                        Meow-Meow
                        MonaKitty

Comment

Working...
                        X