please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

please help

I was determined not to drink today, it was supposed to be my day 2. Now both of my kids are in bed having an afternoon rest and I had a drink already. I don't know what I'm going to do. My life's in a mess and I don't know where to go from here

please help

Downunder, I've been right there! can you stop without having serious withdrawals you think? if you made it one day I'd say that's a pretty good sign but doesn't hurt to make sure. if you are medically safe to quit then dump it out whatever it costs it's cheap compared to your destruction. do anything you can for a serious distraction. eat, exercise, cold shower, call a sober friend, call AA and hit a meeting, and do lots of reading and posting here. pour yourself into the site and let us know howzit going. you CAN do this. you and your family deserve it.
    nosce te ipsum
    (Know Thyself)

Comment

please help

Hi there across the ditch. Sounds like you are slipping into old patterns maybe and on the way to a binge. If you want to stop and I thought you did - can you throw all the AL in the house away. Its easy to do and quick. Don't give yourself any excuses today to buy anymore. Have a wash, and maybe try to have a nap. Just lie there while the kids are asleep.
      Then think about some simple things for the rest of the day. Really simple - getting food together for you and the kids - early night.
      Its just today and you don't have to drink a mountain because you had one drink. Its bloody tough and you will be craving another drink. And so on.
      Then make some plans - but do that tomorrow - or the next day. Others will be here soon - I have to go now, but I know what its like.
      Just deal with today - its going to be shitty - but it does not have to be a total collapse.
      Take care

Comment

please help

Thanks, the hardest part of the day will be trying to convince myself not to buy anymore. It doesn't help that my ex is a drinker and we still live together- not an ideal situation! There is not one good reason for me to have another and every good reason not to. I just need to tell that to the nagging voice in my head!

Comment

please help

Don't buy, don't buy, don't buy!!! Don't go near any shops or supermarkets that have booze. Saturday nite/afternoon is just not the time for any shopping early in the quit.
          He's your ex and even if he were not - this is for you and the kids. Lots of women here stop AL and are living with drinkers.
          You will cope much much better sober - even if you are grumpy and going through withdrawal and recovery.
          Drink lots of water or tea tonight, eat lots too. Don't worry about weight (us women often do) or even what's healthy - foodwise. Not now. Just eat. Hug the kids too!!! New life ahead but at the moment its just today and tonight - and it will soon pass.

Keep reading and posting on MWO - go to the Newbies thread. Face to face would be good and so Det's suggestion to call AA is a great one. If you can't get to a meeting this weekend because of the children that's OK - I am sure an AA person will talk to you on the phone.

Comment

please help

I've never been to an AA meeting before, I'm a bit scared of the idea really. Maybe I will try it soon even if I don't say anything while I'm there, just to get an idea of what it's like. Have just eaten and been for a walk (managed not to buy anything!) I know I can get through days without drinking as long as my head is in the right place, but right now I'm battling with myself and I know I won't sleep tonight if I don't have a drink. I'm scared of drinking and I'm scared of not drinking.

Comment

please help

Downunder, We are here for you. You are NOT alone.Others will follow. Do this for YOU and your family. Just take 1 hr or even 1 minute at a time. Can you ring a friend? Stay on MWO,post,read and read some more. 10 days ago I was a mess and here I am Sat night in Austra;lia and sober.Its 5.30 pm on the East coast. Please keep in touch DU!:welcome::welcome:

Comment

please help

well done :goodjob:downunder. OK - don't worry about AA today. Have you ever seen a counsellor about your drinking? I don't know what you have in OZ but in NZ we have Community and Alcohol Drugs Service (CADS) - which is free and provides one-on-one help - especially good in the early days. Sometimes its best to talk to one person before you go to a group.
                Can any folk in OZ advise on community AL support?

I used to always worry about not being able to sleep without drinking - and its a reality when you stop AL - esp if you are anxious/worrying - which it sounds like you are. There are lots of supplements and other ways to help you sleep. We usually do sleep even when we think we are not. AL only provides broken/ poor quality sleep and in time you will sleep so much better and have more energy without AL.

Comment

please help

Downunder, There are manned AL and Drug counsellors you can ring in Australia anytime 24/7. 1800 numbers Just check out the phone Directory. Life line is another good source.

Comment

please help

I have checked online and found some numbers to call...I just can't do it right now. I think on monday when I am home alone I will be able to do it. I am a very anxious person and not very good at talking to people, probably why I find it easier to post here where no one can see me. It is great to get your replies and support, I really need and appreciate it. Good to know I am not alone, thank you

Comment

please help

well sadly I didn't do it today. I will try again tomorrow...

Comment

please help

OK downunder. The phone counsellors in OZ are very kind and experienced. You will not find them intimidating, just there to help.I have spoken to them,they were so helpful and encouraging. You would not be the first person to call them,so why don't you; they are used to it? Just call them; you will be surprised how much better you will feel. Also, stay close to MWO. We are here for you. Just yell for help!

Comment

please help

ditto all the above. also please don't be scared of AA. that's what they are there for afterall! believe me they have seen it all.
                          nosce te ipsum
                          (Know Thyself)

Comment

please help

Hello Downy,
                            What Hadit says makes a lot of sense.... Why not give the counsellors a tingle... they are used to people being pretty nervous about talking about their addiction, fears and so on. They will be very supportive and helpful. Also , do you reckon you could talk to your GP? Or even another doctor?

Try to relax as much as you can tonight, then do the phone call tomorrow like you say. Once you've taken that first step, you'll be taking a lot of pressure off yourself too.
                            AA can be good or a bit intimidating and full on... it's a matter of finding a group you feel comfortable with.

Let us know how you get on.

Comment

please help

Hello and welcome down under to mwo,keep posting and sharing as we can all relate to what your going through,there is a tool box and. A newbies thread here which are highly recommended, well done on taking the first step it is the hardest. Don't quit quitting

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                              I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Working...
                              X