Quitting drinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quitting drinking

I have been on a month long bender. I was up to 10-12 beers and 4-5 shots a night. Usually I drank twice a week maybe once a week and it got out of control. I have tapered down to 6-7 beers and a shot over the last few days. I drank last at 10 last night and it's almost noon. I have no shaking.. Should I taper a few more days. I have no money for insurance and can't have the diagnosis because of my profession. Anyone have similar experiences ...

A little history.. We are what you'd call weekend warrior drinkers. One night a week maybe two we would drink heavily for a year and a half. This month though I drink nightly.

Quitting drinking

Hi Good and welcome. Glad you have joined us. I am not an expert on withdrawal, so I hope someone comes along soon to offer solid advice, but I do know it is nothing to mess around with. Are you still feeling okay? If you do start having severe withdrawal symptoms, please just bite the bullet and seek medical help. Your health is worth a possible diagnosis. Although, I fully understand your fear.

If you don't experience physical withdrawal beyond the norm (hangover, shaking, anxiety, etc.), then you can probably use other means to help your body start to heal. Eat a lot! Stay as full as possible. Your blood sugar is probably bottoming out, and food helps. Stay hydrated. And post often. If you feel up to it, post in the Newbies Nest. You will find a lot of support there, and great advice.

Good luck and take very good care of yourself.
    Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Quitting drinking

How are you doing today, Goodtry?
      Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

Quitting drinking

Hi Goodtry, I've been wondering about tapering before I quit too, I've been drinking a bottle of wine almost nightly for months. The most has been over the past couple days. I'm a little shaky and really uncoordinated, and really feeling AL cravings. I think I'm just going to stay sober as long as I can, what I hate most about quitting is the night sweats and insomnia.. as well as the nervousness.

Anyway, good luck to us all!

Comment

Quitting drinking

If you were a heavy drinker then tapering is a good idea. I only drank for 2 years and four months and I went from not drinking to drinking only at very special occasions to special occasions to 2 times a month to nearly weekly. Drinking can catch up fast. You can do it!
          I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Quitting drinking

Whatever drinking pattern you partake in you are still trapped in prison alcoHELL.

It will get worse no matter how you think it won't , nothing good ever comes from it.

Do whatever you can to free yourself from this madness.

Tapering IMHO I tried this many times , it always failed well for me anyway.

Good luck , you can do this.
            Sober since 13th January 2012

Comment

Quitting drinking

Goodtry Welcome! tapering never worked for me it just lead to one bender after another. Withdrawls are different for everyone. The key is to not try and be a hero. If symtoms get too bad get professional help. There is no shame in getting help, quitting trumps pride everytime. The good news is that physical withdrawl doesn't last too long. A week at the most. The real battle is complacency and boredom. We all drink for a reason and if we cant address those underlying reasons we make quitting so much more difficult. Dont be afraid to fail either. We have all tried and failed at one point or another, as long as you get yourself off the mat, dust yourself off and jump right back in you're half way there. Good luck
              Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Quitting drinking

Hi Goodtry, I was in same problem as you are right now, I won in the end, but it took a lot of fails to get here. Don't be afraid to fail, just don't give up. Coming here was the right thing to do, the first step is admitting and acknowledging that you have a problem. Take baby steps at first, don't try to be a hero and go on cold turkey. I did it the first time I tried, I was on a half a bottle of rum a day as everage. I lost so much and my life and existence ware meaningless.
                The best tip I can give you for now, without writing a 10 page guide ( which I am planing for my blog in the next couple of days) is that you reduce it to minimum that allows you to function.
                Bare in mind that after 1 drink you will want another one, since alcohol reduces your willpower gratelly, so here is what you will do as a first step, keep solber during the day for as long as you can, after you do around 14-15 hours, take the minimum that keeps you functioning, no more than 1 beer, 1 shot or 1 glass of wine, drink vitamin C and a 2 glasses of water before going to sleep.
                You are going to be sweating, shaking and a lot more, but the biggest problem is cravings you will have.
                The reason you take it at night is because it will allow you to fall asleep, you don't want to detox while sleeping but during the day. If you can't hold it with that dosage and have insomnia you could go for additional 50% of that dosage, but wait for at least an hour before doing that, give your best to fall asleep first. I will give more advices during the next few days, but do this first, don't tapper with high dosage, anything more that 2 glasses of wine or equivalent is harmful and will not help you.
                I quitted and I decided to share my experience and help others quit.

http://alcoholandrehab.blogspot.com/

Comment

Quitting drinking

Dude, withdrawal is a fear based on which most of us continued drinking. Go speak to a doc and he will definitely scare you. My advise, chuck the booze away and have a drink only, I mean only if you feel shaky.
                  Unfortunately an alki brain finds it hard to taper, so go for it and loose the booze.
                  Vy

Comment

Working...
                  X