• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

:-)

Hi I need some advice
    I'm ex army had a drink problem from 2005-2011
    I then stopped for a year due to my ptsd getting out of control
    I then started drinking again jan 2012 about 6 pints a night and heavier on the weekend, this went on until October 2013 when I have been drinking until 2 days ago about 30-40 pints a week and around 4-5 bottles of jack Daniels.
    I've been sober for 2 days now. I'm finding it so hard not to drink last time I stopped was easy as I was forced to stop by ill health. I have 2 young children and 1 on the way, I just can't get alcohol out of my brain.
    Also are all the body aches and pain normal I feel bruised all up my right side.
    I can't go to any meetings because of my ptsd.
    Just need someone to talk to, my family are there for me but more by giving me lectures not support.

Hi Shane and welcome. We are all here for the same reason, we are alcoholics, pain and simple, black and white. We also all want to give up AL.

For me AL has basically always been part of my life since i was 17 to 49 although i did stop when i had children and i was not as bad then as what i become. For me it was 1-2 bottles of wine a night, 7 days a week, 52 weeks of the year.

When i first found this site and came on here I gave up for 11 days and thought that was me, i'm cured. Moderation for me, i can deal with it. WRONG!. I stayed away for nearly two years and AF still stayed my friend until the blackouts, shakes, etc all became too much. Then I did 40 days and that same thought of moderation crept in and I failed again miserably. Now i am up to 29 days and i am more positive about pissing off AL out of my life. It has not been easy, giving anything up is hard but achievable by shear grit and determination. Just one day at a time and getting through the thoughts by doing something else to distract yourself also. The first week or so was not a happy one giving up AL. I could not sleep, anxious, sweaty, achy, shocking headaches which still linger, we are all different with withdrawals but if you are worried go to your doctor.

My motivation is to give up for my adult children and myself, i am accountable to them and they are so proud that I will not let them down ever again.

Waking up without a hangover, wondering what I did, not feeling like complete crap makes it all worthwhile and the biggest plus is making some wonderful friends on MWO and having constant support when i have ups and downs. The "old timers" are our rock and I am sure you will get much better advice than I have to give.

You have done a year that is something to be very proud of, I hope to get to that mark also.

Good luck and hop to the Newbies Nest, lots of folk over there.
    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

:welcome: Shaney and well done on the 2 days AF (alcohol free).

Not going to overwhelm you with advice at the moment just wanted to say my hellos. The two places for a visit are in the link below. Definitely go say hello in the Newbies nest........it's cosy in there.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...est-30074.html

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

As for the aches and pains, I had them when I first went AF and it was due to a being very, very tense. I also had a huge lack of energy but after 10 days or so felt like I could conquer the world. That said a trip to your GP might be a good idea.

Keep reading,keep posting and so glad you found us.
      It could be worse, I could be filing.
      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Thank you for your reply :-)
        It means a lot

Comment

Hi Shaney, just wanted to add another welcome and to say that you are among people here who do really understand like only we can, the support here is terrific. Keep posting.
          Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Hey, welcome from me too. Please stick around - the support here is wonderful but you do have to check in often if you can, and let us know how you are doing.

There are lots of helps: The AA model, or one of the medications like naltrexone, topamirate, or baclofen. Information and support is what you need - and it's all here. JMum
            My first "indifference experience" Saturday January 11, 2014. Thank God for Baclofen!

Comment

Shane Welcome. Join us in the Newbies Nest where we work daily to achieve the same goals you are working on. Look forward to getting to know you.:l
              No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Shaney welcome! You have gotten some good advice so far. Stay close - this is a great place for comfort and support.
                Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

Well, if you made it through the first day you have already earned your first(of what I am sure will be many) of these....

Next one comes after seven days AF......you are almost halfway there....stay STRONG :goodjob: Attached files [img]/converted_files/2243891=7268-attachment.jpg[/img]
                  Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Shane,

You will find a lot of friends here bud, u are not alone. Great decision to quit, we are all on the same boat man, we will sail it through. Just say no to that bullshit which controls you, you are strong mate, the pains will wither off soon. I suggest start doing things which will keep you entertained man.

Keep posting progress bud,

Vy

Comment

Welcome! This is the place to be if you want to remain AF.
                      Every AF day is a milestone.

Comment

Shane,

How's it going buddy

Vy

Comment

Working...
                        X