Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tapering-first time trying-nervous

Hi All,

I am in need of advice. I am trying my first taper. I am a 30 year old female who has had previous addictions to first opiates then benzos. For the last year I have been drinking regularly every day, with approx 1/5th of whiskey per night. I have had a few days of abstinence occasionally feeling ok, maybe slightly shaky and sweaty but nothing major. Within the last month or so it has been every night, sometimes up to a liter per night, on occasion.

So, for work and masters program related reasons it is NOT possible to go to a detox at this time, or even consult an MD, as I work in the health field, and this cannot be documented on my medical record.

I started yesterday drinking 10 beers throughout the day and my plan for today is 8. I am experiencing shakes, sweating, intermittent diarrhea, and intermittent pins and needles. My plan was to reduce by 2 beers per day following the HAMs method. I allotted 12 for yesterday but felt okay enough after 10 to stop. I am wondering if I am tapering too quickly? I MUST attend work on Monday (and write a 9 pg paper this weekend, unfortunately) and don't want to be a mess at work.

I have no benzos to help but I do have beta blockers, which I heard can help. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for me? I am nervous in the back of my mind of seizure as well, as I did experience one years ago trying to kick my benzo habit.

Thank you in advance.

Nicole

Hi Nicole,

Welcome! I should say that I'm not in the medical field, nor have I been on opiates or benzos.

I don't know how much is too much to go cold turkey, but it doesn't seem to me like you would be in danger if you quit cold turkey.
    If you want to stop drinking, push fluids. Lots of water to flush out your system.
    Vitamin B is also important at this time.

I wish you well.

Patty
    "God didn't give you the Strength to get back on your feet
    so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down."
    :hug:

Comment

I am not a medical professional either...but from what I have read the taper you've described should be effective. Patty's advice is great too. Maybe you could find a number you could call and remain anonymous? Whatever you do, don't give up - you are doing the right thing - so glad you are here - take advantage of all of the support here and read and post - it really helps!!

Comment

Thank you both so much for your responses. I did go out yesterday and get a regimen of vitamins to take including b complex, b1, magnesium, zinc, and vitamin c. I am drinking lots of water to hydrate, and just taking it one day at a time. The shakes are really bad today I am about to drink my third beer to manage. I have to go to dinner at my parent's tonight for fathers day and need not to be sweating and shaking. I may taper only one less per day in order to avoid the worst of it. I know you aren't medical professionals but it does set my mind at ease a bit to hear from you both.

I will keep you posted on my progress.

Thanks!
        Nicole

Comment

Nicole, any way you can take some time off while you get through the beginning of this? Might be easier than trying to juggle it all at once?
          Newbies Nest
          Toolbox
          My accountability thread

Comment

Nicole,
            Eat lots of protein... Greek yogurt, cheese, meat... don't let yourself get hungry, but don't eat a lot of empty calories, either.

Whether you taper off slowly, or go cold turkey... well, it's kind of like ripping a sticky band aid off. Either way, at the end of the day, you will have the bandaid off, but do you take your time, and slowly peel it back, get it loose, wait a little bit, start again.... or do you just rip it?

You can do this. It's your choice whether you rip it off, or take your time, but you can do it.

Is it scary? Yes. Will there be "pain" and then "gain"? You bet.

I stopped drinking because of my father. He was 85 years old- dying- and he gave me wise advice that I actually HEARD! I will not drink again, in honor of my father.

Find your reason why you want to stop. "Just because" is a good starting point, but if you don't think it through... then you may lose your determination when it gets harder.

:l Hugs.

Patty
            "God didn't give you the Strength to get back on your feet
            so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down."
            :hug:

Comment

Working...
            X