Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I drank wine/ second trimester of pregnancy... Terrified child could have fas !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I drank wine/ second trimester of pregnancy... Terrified child could have fas !

I didn't know I was pregnant till well into my second trimester , once I found out I was pregnant I stopped immediately...

my drinking was more moderate to light I had a total of maybe four glasses of red wine a week... 2 glasses a sitting twice a week... probably about 8 ounces a sitting!!! I have been researching drinking while pregnant and am so worried my child will have FAS . To my knowledge FAS is the more severe side of the spectrum but I can't help but be absolutely paralyzed with fear and anxiety over all of this my due date is in two weeks and I'm reaching out to see if anybody has been through this and their child was healthy from what I can recall according to my due date and the time frames that I can remember I probably drank beer in the first 5 to 6 weeks of conceiving after that I didn't really drink much as I was working a lot and not going out , but In the time frame of what would be my second trimester I was helping a friend plan for her wedding and we would meet up twice a week and have wine so this is when my drinking was more moderate. Third trimester I have had absolutely nothing there's a total of six months through this pregnancy and l probably have had no alcohol. Do you think the drinking I did is damaging and have you been through this or have any advice I was also smoking up until I found out I am so so worried I never would've done this knowingly ! some months I have A irregular cycle I carry small this is my second child and my body And I had no idea that I was pregnant I hadn't had a pregnancy scare in 7 years and continued to have periods (yes this happens) !!! Please don't be mean and harsh I already know it's bad but I didn't do this knowingly! I need personal stories and advice please !!!! I can't be the only woman that's going through this
    Last edited by Specialk88; January 18, 2015, 07:59 AM. Reason: Edit title

SpecialK-Welcome to MWO. We had another member post a very similar question a few years ago, and she was drinking A LOT more than you are/did, and her baby was just fine, and was healthy when he was born with no FAS. As long as you've stopped your drinking, I really wouldn't worry, ok? Congrats on your pregnancy!

Comment

Thank you!
      Last edited by Specialk88; January 18, 2015, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Hello SpecialK,
        Was going to say more or less the same thing as Molly.
        Anyway I was just thinking its 29 years ago this month that I found out I was pregnant with my first..........we'd only married in the November and lets put it this way I thoroughly enjoyed a very boozy honeymoon and Christmas and then I got flu so any pregnancy symptoms were hidden by that and the blooming awful chest infection I got after. ...........after I found out I did still drink couple of times a week although moderately and had the odd cigarette...........I now have 28 year old daughter who apart from driving me round the bend now and again has no problem
        I also remember my Aunt being pregnant and having that all day sickness that Kate Middleton had..............her midwife 'prescribed' a bottle of Guinness every night as it was 'full of goodness'.........he's now a big strapping man of 43...........can't imagine they'd do that these days.

So put those worries aside (I know, I know its hard), get plenty of rest...............its not going to be long before you're run of your feet with a wee bundle of gorgeousness.

Oh and you'd better come back and tell us what you had.
        It could be worse, I could be filing.
        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Originally posted by Specialk88 View Post
          I didn't know I was pregnant till well into my second trimester , once I found out I was pregnant I stopped immediately...

my drinking was more moderate to light I had a total of maybe four glasses of red wine a week... 2 glasses a sitting twice a week... probably about 8 ounces a sitting!!! I have been researching drinking while pregnant and am so worried my child will have FAS . To my knowledge FAS is the more severe side of the spectrum but I can't help but be absolutely paralyzed with fear and anxiety over all of this my due date is in two weeks and I'm reaching out to see if anybody has been through this and their child was healthy from what I can recall according to my due date and the time frames that I can remember I probably drank beer in the first 5 to 6 weeks of conceiving after that I didn't really drink much as I was working a lot and not going out , but In the time frame of what would be my second trimester I was helping a friend plan for her wedding and we would meet up twice a week and have wine so this is when my drinking was more moderate. Third trimester I have had absolutely nothing there's a total of six months through this pregnancy and l probably have had no alcohol. Do you think the drinking I did is damaging and have you been through this or have any advice I was also smoking up until I found out I am so so worried I never would've done this knowingly ! some months I have A irregular cycle I carry small this is my second child and my body And I had no idea that I was pregnant I hadn't had a pregnancy scare in 7 years and continued to have periods (yes this happens) !!! Please don't be mean and harsh I already know it's bad but I didn't do this knowingly! I need personal stories and advice please !!!! I can't be the only woman that's going through this
          Hi

I was pregnant 24 years ago and my life revolved around the pub and heavy drinking. There was no internet at that time so I drove 20 miles into London one Sunday morning to pick up a book I ordered about women, drinking and pregnancy.

I read it cover to cover as I was paranoid, in fact paranoid was an understatement. Then I rang every woman I could find through AA network I was so worried about FAS.

The long and the short of it was, DRINKING ALONE WILL NOT CAUSE FAS. When I say alone I don't mean by yourself. I mean that other factors have to be considered like socio economic group, smoking, drugs and diet. All these factors can cause FAS but not just drinking.

If you were in the UK I would send you the book. It was a godsend to me.

I now have a strapping, gorgeous ,6'4" lad who has just finished Uni and has just started his first job.

So please, please don't worry. If you want a private chat please feel free to PM me.

Summerglow

Comment

Summerglow- I will pm you probably in a few hours .
            I have read that as well about the drinking alone vs using substances with it. I was smoking. But I'm trying really hard not to worry.

Originally posted by summerglow View Post
            Hi

I was pregnant 24 years ago and my life revolved around the pub and heavy drinking. There was no internet at that time so I drove 20 miles into London one Sunday morning to pick up a book I ordered about women, drinking and pregnancy.

I read it cover to cover as I was paranoid, in fact paranoid was an understatement. Then I rang every woman I could find through AA network I was so worried about FAS.

The long and the short of it was, DRINKING ALONE WILL NOT CAUSE FAS. When I say alone I don't mean by yourself. I mean that other factors have to be considered like socio economic group, smoking, drugs and diet. All these factors can cause FAS but not just drinking.

If you were in the UK I would send you the book. It was a godsend to me.

I now have a strapping, gorgeous ,6'4" lad who has just finished Uni and has just started his first job.

So please, please don't worry. If you want a private chat please feel free to PM me.

Summerglow

Comment

Congratulations Special - you will be in for an exciting and enriching future. I have read quite a lot about the research on FAS and also about the families with this. FAS is actually a contentious diagnosis and not all experts agree on this or on how to treat it. Its very hard to predict and medical authorities understandably now take an ultra conservative approach. But it would seem that the mother has to have been consuming a huge amount of AL (and even then this does not mean that the baby will have FAS). I too was drinking when I unknowingly conceived and did not know I was pregnant until around 7 weeks. And I was drinking very heavily. I quit the day I learned I was pregnant (although resumed my ways some time after she was born). Needless to say I was sick with worry when I was pregnant and in the early months. My daughter has no physical or behavioral symptoms of FAS and she is nearly 17 years old.
              The best thing you can do now is please don't worry or feel guilty - because that will put more pressure on you. Pressure and guilt are factors that can induce more AL consumption in mothers. But Thats not a given and it doesn't sound like you were abusing AL in the past. You will no doubt worry about all sorts of things to do with raising your child in the years to come - but try not to worry too much. Very best wishes for the birth and the early months.

Comment

Hi,
                I do not have a story to share, or advice to give as I have no experience with this.
                I just wanted to send a hug. You are not an awful person, you did not know. You are doing the best you can now.

That is the whole thing about parenting. We do the best we can with what we have. Everyone of us wants the best for our babies.

I can feel you already are doing the best for this baby - and CONGRATULATIONS!!!

We are here for you to help you through this wonderful pregnancy.

BeachGirly

Comment

Mollyka

Thanks Mollyka,
                  I know it not a lot or abusive.
                  So I have to call bull crap on some of the moms who said one drink caused there baby fas.
                  Last edited by Specialk88; January 18, 2015, 06:03 PM.

Comment

@beachgirly
                    So sweet of you ! Thank you for up lifting me everyone's advice and comments make me feel sooooo much better!

Comment

@treetop, I didn't think it was near enough for fas. I got scared right to hell when I read it causes mental retardation I seriosly sobbed thinking I had ruined my baby. I am a huge believer god is in control and all will be just fine ! Thanks for your encouragement and kind words

Comment

Hi Special,
                        I also didn't know I was pregnant. I was 41, had no children and thought it probably wouldn't happen. It was around xmas time and I had been partying wildly for quite a few weeks . Went to the Dr after I missed the period for a second month and whoa.... I was totally mortified, delighted to be pregnant but petrified...
                        Needless to say drank nothing after that day but was so worried for a while
                        My son is now 9 and he is fine!!
                        Please relax, it's the best thing for your baby
                        Take care
                        Pat

Comment

Thank you Molly <3
                          Originally posted by mollyka
                          Hi honey ---- and let me say first of all -- congratulations on your forthcoming little bundle ---- and seriously ---- deep breaths --- calm down -- the amount of alcohol that you catalogue really seriously could not be considered a risk factor for FAS imo --- of course I'm not in the medical field -- but I have 4 children --- I was fortunate in that once I conceived alcohol or caffeine turned my stomach so it wasn't an issue --- but in MY mothers day -- it was not known that alcohol OR tobacco were a risk factor for pregnancy and indeed lots of people would have partaken of the equivalent amount of alcohol with no repercussions ----
                          Naturally it is safer and better NOT to imbibe --- but objectively --- you really should go away and enjoy the last while of your pregnancy and look forward to your little baby without worrying ---- please don't let this take the joy from what should be one of the happiest times of your life

I truly genuinely believe you have nothing to worry about -----
                          Molly xx

Comment

Jackieclaire , I'm glad I am getting so many good responses thank god coz I truly felt so alone in this. I'm feeling better.
                            Originally posted by JackieClaire View Post
                            Hello SpecialK,
                            Was going to say more or less the same thing as Molly.
                            Anyway I was just thinking its 29 years ago this month that I found out I was pregnant with my first..........we'd only married in the November and lets put it this way I thoroughly enjoyed a very boozy honeymoon and Christmas and then I got flu so any pregnancy symptoms were hidden by that and the blooming awful chest infection I got after. ...........after I found out I did still drink couple of times a week although moderately and had the odd cigarette...........I now have 28 year old daughter who apart from driving me round the bend now and again has no problem
                            I also remember my Aunt being pregnant and having that all day sickness that Kate Middleton had..............her midwife 'prescribed' a bottle of Guinness every night as it was 'full of goodness'.........he's now a big strapping man of 43...........can't imagine they'd do that these days.

So put those worries aside (I know, I know its hard), get plenty of rest...............its not going to be long before you're run of your feet with a wee bundle of gorgeousness.

Oh and you'd better come back and tell us what you had.

Comment

One drink, what a load of rubbish. A baby can be born with a cleft palate even although the mother didn't drink at all!!

Please don't listen to the scaremongering, which is what this appears to be.

I've PM'd you.

Summer

Comment

Working...
                              X