Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forum Upgrades Underway

Hi, gang!

I know it’s been a long time coming, but we are finally moving forward with plans to upgrade our server and install new forum software. This will help eliminate many of the technical issues (and spam!) that have become so pervasive around here.

We are at a crossroads now. Our choices are to shut down the site and catch up on bills; charge significant membership fees; or attract advertisers. Clearly, advertising makes the most sense. Our partner E-store has been operating in the red for some time now, so we will be phasing it out. (Order your supplements now!)

To do all this, we need to make important upgrades to our current system. We will be moving to a new server, installing a completely new version of vBulletin--our forum software--and will add new ‘mods’ that provide specific functionality. In a sense, we’ll be starting over, because it’s more economical and less problematic to purchase updated forum software than attempt the many upgrades and patches required to get us there. One of my concerns has been preserving the many posts we currently have—over 1.5million!—as they are rich in information and have been helpful to so many people. However, we have figured out a way to archive all of the posts, and we’ll be bringing the content along for the ride.

Working hard in the background to ensure these improvements is our new IT go-to guy, Zach. He’ll be checking this thread as we migrate the server from old to new. Zach has been extraordinary helpful already, and we feel very lucky to have him helping out.

We hope to begin work next week, and to complete the first phase by early October. Phase One will include server migration and installation of updated forum software. Phase Two will focus on attracting advertisers. We’ll also work hard on improving our search engine optimization, so people can find us without us paying the existing exorbitant rates to Google Adwords. The third and final phase will depend on whether or not we’re able to support the new forum with ad revenue. If not, we’ll have to look to some sort of subscription-based model. I know, I know—I don’t like it any more than you do. But we need a way to pay the bills, that’s the bottom line.

Please prepare for a little down time and inevitable glitches as we move our current website and forum; we’ll do our best to provide proper notice and keep interruptions to a minimum. Also know that we are working with a very tight budget so we may need to phase in some changes more slowly than we’d like.

I’d like to extend a deep and heartfelt THANK YOU those of you who have shown your support by donating to our PayPal account and also to those who participate as Subscribers. It is very much appreciated. If you have not contributed, we urge you to do so. We are assuming some risk with this upgrade, because we still have many bills to pay and this requires an investment in money and time. I am using personal funds to make this happen, but I cannot continue to do so for much longer. So please donate if you can.

As a side note, I’m looking forward to becoming more involved in the forum after a long time away. I want to share with you what I have found helpful in succeeding at long-term recovery, which I hope you will find of interest.

I’ll start a new thread to follow this one and include some resources you may wish to check out!

All the best,

RJ
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Help keep our forum strong--make a contribution to My Way Out. Or show your support by becoming a Subscriber and enjoy enhanced features, as well!

Forum Upgrades Underway

Many thanks for the update RJ and I will make sure I donate.
    One of the great features of this forum is that it is truly global

Comment

Forum Upgrades Underway

Thanks RJ for the update. This is the kind of information we all have been waiting to hear.
      Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Forum Upgrades Underway

Thanks RJ. I'm glad you've found a way to preserve and archive all the years of posted wisdom and inspiration.

Best wishes, G

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Forum Upgrades Underway

Thanks RJ. I'm glad you've found a way to preserve and archive all the years of posted wisdom and inspiration.

Best wishes, G

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Forum Upgrades Underway

Thank you. MWO is SO important to so many.
            No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Forum Upgrades Underway

Thank you, for the update RJ. Looking forward to the upgraded, secure site. And yes, I'll donate.

Pie

Comment

Forum Upgrades Underway

Good news - and thanks for letting us know what is happening. I think a lot of us were really worried about the lack of feedback, so keep it coming.
                14 October 2013 was the first day of the best days of my life!

Comment

Forum Upgrades Underway

bump for different timezones

Comment

Forum Upgrades Underway

Thanks for the follow-up and it sounds like a good plan..I will donate as well.
                    “Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness”- Desmond Tutu

STL

Comment

Forum Upgrades Underway

Thank you RJ, this site has saved my life. I will make a donation.
                      Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                      "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Forum Upgrades Underway

Thank you for this update. Like Guitarista, I am so glad you found a way to move the archived posts...it's hard to relate just how much history is in there, including my own! Thank you for moving us in the right direction. I hope that the donations will get us back on track. We look forward to future updates! Byrdie
                        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Forum Upgrades Underway

Okay, good news and lots of work ahead! Thank you!
                          (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Forum Upgrades Underway

I would like to do a monthly subscription. Should I do that now or wait until the new updates are installed? I am not sure how the updates will affect subscriptions (will have I to sign up again for the subscription under the new site?)

I will make a donation now if I don't do the subscription right away.

Just looking for information on which way you suggest for right now.

Thanks RJ!
                            AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

Comment

Forum Upgrades Underway

red67;1698131 wrote: I would like to do a monthly subscription. Should I do that now or wait until the new updates are installed? I am not sure how the updates will affect subscriptions (will have I to sign up again for the subscription under the new site?)

I will make a donation now if I don't do the subscription right away.

Just looking for information on which way you suggest for right now.

Thanks RJ!
                              Hi, I have the exact same question as above. Thank you.
                              "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
                              AF 11/12/11

Comment

Working...
                              X