600 Days of xtexan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

600 Days of xtexan

Thanks guys. I really like to write the good reports.

I'm on day 5 of the Atkins induction diet, and I am slowly coming to the conclusion, that I must have been dependent on sugar. I think that perhaps some of my fog, depression, and anxiety was aggravated by the amount of sugar I was consuming. I wrote many times about my predilection for Gatorade in mass quantities while I was working out. That stuff has more bad carbs per pint than soda-pop!! No wonder I was having such a hard time. The things we learn.

Anyway, thanks again for your kind words. They give all the more motivation to find the way clear.

Neil

Comment

600 Days of xtexan

Thanks Neil,
      Must look into sugar intake in relation to anxiety and depression..........am like a cat on a hot tin roof, but at least I`m still sober!! LOL

Starlight Impress x

Comment

600 Days of xtexan

Congrats Neil......

You truly are an inspiration. I look forward to your 700, 800, 900 and even the 1000 days posts. I am mere baby steps behind you with 200+plus days of an alcohol free lifestyle.
        Yes, ever day is that bit easier and clearer.....
        CONGRATULATION......
        Abby

Comment

600 Days of xtexan

WOW!!! I am impressed! What a great post... it shows us that it CAN be done. My hat is off to you my friend...Don

Comment

600 Days of xtexan

EPIC!
            nosce te ipsum
            (Know Thyself)

Comment

600 Days of xtexan

Hi Neil - I was wondering about your atkins diet... Are you tired from the lack of sugar?
              I tried atkins about a year ago and was tired in the beginning. It did work for me though. I'm just thinking that maybe I should try it again. Because I'm still tired and I'm not doing atkins.
              I need some energy. I'm working out 3-4 times a week - 2 times is with a trainer. I try to sleep 7-8 hours a night. Any other suggestions?
              I've been sober for 286 days if that helps..
              Thanks for posting
              Lisa

Comment

600 Days of xtexan

Lisa:

I'm now on day 8 actually, as I really started induction last Friday. Amazing this thing is. When I woke up Friday, August 3rd I was 195 lbs. This morning, 187 lbs. One more week to go of induction. At this rate, I will be at my goal of 180 at the end of the induction period.

Yes, I was fatigued, and I went through a bunch of weirdness as I switched into ketosis. I have been checking every day, and about one hour after exercise sessions, moderate ketosis by the Ketostix.

Now, I have a very good energy level. I go at a very even level till bedtime, then I go to sleep very easily without supplements. No waking up in the middle of the night craving orange juice or sweets. Feeling very good now, and those sugar crash spikes were very bad for my overall energy and mental state. So this thing is going to work for me very well. I am reading South Beach book now, and buying up some low carb foods. I found a 100% whole grain bread yesterday that only has 7 gram carb per slice.

I feel so very good now, and emotionally stable, and peaceful it is amazing. This diet WORKS for ME. That gol-darn sugar, and high-fructose corn syrup was making me ill in ways I never knew.

One more step on the way to total recovery. As to your tiredness, I won't even venture a guess. All I can recommend is 24 hr. glucose tolerance test from a doctor, and the full run of blood tests to check for any condition such as that. I feared I was getting diabetic at one point, but not so. The sugar is just no good for me though, and I think many others of my age group would do well to cut it out, or at least way back.

I have had enough blood drawn for tests and such in the last year to feed a vampire colony. Everything checks out A-OK, and most cases better than before I went AF. This is essential I believe to get the scientific data, and not speculate in my case.

Neil

Comment

600 Days of xtexan

great news Neil. I'm very curious about the bread... what brand is it?
                  nosce te ipsum
                  (Know Thyself)

Comment

600 Days of xtexan

D:

At a Kroger in the town where I work, in the diet foods section.

Natures Own Wheat 'n Fiber.

I must have looked at the labels of 4 dozen different brands of wheat breads in 5 or 6 different stores. This is the lowest so far, and it was no more expensive than the other whole wheat and grain breads, but the lowest carb level I found so far. The 7 grams is printed in big type on the wrapper.

I also have a bread machine, and bought some soy flour and found some recipes for machine that have only 4 grams carb per slice. Also looking into whole wheat and soy flour tortillas and such.

I just read on the Atkins web site to Google "Low Carb Recipes", and a ton of stuff comes up. The more I read about this blood sugar and insulin thing, the more sense it seems to make. I'm into it now.

Neil

Comment

600 Days of xtexan

Thanks Neil. I think I will track down my Atkins book and give this another try.
                      I'd like to lose about 8-9 lbs and feel better.

Thanks again-
                      Lisa

Comment

600 Days of xtexan

Neil,

Your post is great. After about 60 days I am starting to have glimpses of what you have. I do agree with that vicious circle of depression/anxiety and drinking. They did not disappear immediately when put the glass down, but gradually. I do think the supps I have been popping have helped (just the MWO supps, no medication). And I am starting to like my life despite there are so many things I need to fix because I got into such a mess when drinking (financially and emotionally).

Have you gone to AA? I finally did as I did a short stint in rehab (only 10 days) and was really welcomed there and looked after. However, I did slip for 1 day a week ago at the airline lounge's free bar when travelling back home from a weekend getaway and I just feel I am not welcome there anymore. Especially the lady that was kind of sponsoring me has gone real cold.My feeling is that you are welcome if you do everything as they say and stay sober from 1 day without any lapses. And also in the last few weeks I have really got fed up with some dimwit people there. (No wonder these smart ladies create their own ways of getting sober). Sorry, had to went my frustration. However, I have got much from them to help me started.

So I am back on these boards to keep me going and being sober. It is so much better life. As you, Neil, say, it is nice to wake up and have a great day. I love being able to sleep well all night long and wake up rested. I like when I feel and remember everything. It is great to drive at night and not worry if cops are picking me for breathtesting. And all the books I am able to read.

Thanks for your great inspiring post!

Otie

Comment

600 Days of xtexan

Hi Otie::welcome:

Welcome to the MWO forums! Glad to have another long-termer here with us all.

To answer your question, no, I have never even been close to an AA meeting. I do not agree with some of the psychological methodology they use, and feel it would have been counter-productive for me. I do agree that some elements of the general framework are valid, but that is all.

I finally found a methodology of my own after many years, but still needed an anonymous venue to get group support. MWO was very close to my method, so I came here after 9 months sobriety, and been here ever since.

Anyway, good for you on the 60 days! You really sound like you have a great start, and we here at MWO try to keep it rolling.

Neil

Comment

600 Days of xtexan

Thanks for your reply Neil. I agree with your AA comments. I feel it is very totalitarian - methods wise.

I feel I need my own methodology, too and that is evolving. One does need support, though, as you have noted. And there's loads of that here.

Thanks.

Otie

Comment

600 Days of xtexan

Hi Neil. I can't believe I missed your 600 Day Ramble earlier - but WOW. Thank you so much for sharing. It's a blessing to the rest of us that you have such good communication skills and can put it all in words!! I hope you don't mind - I'm going to link your post in the introductory post for the current Booze Busters thread in Monthly Abs. We have several new people working for 30 days AF, and I'm not sure how many read everything here in the long term section. (I will sure be doing more of that in the future!!)

Fellow low carber here. Down about 10.5 pounds now, with just over 40 to go dagnabbit. I started with Atkins induction but rather than do textbook Atkins On-going weight loss (adding 5G carbs per week or so to find critical carb level) will continue with more like the Protein Power approach (30 G carbs) until I'm about 10 pounds from goal. I am doing a yeast free diet for the time being which is more restrictive - but hopefully will help me get rid of THAT nasty problem (Candida Yeast overgrowth) eventually. Drinking truly does contribute to an amazingly vast array of serious health problems.

Neil you are an inspiration! I want to walk in your shoes one day. I can't wait for your 1,000 day ramble and I plan to be here for it Alcohol Free!!!! Congratulations on taking your life back.

DG
                              Day 34 AF - on Booze Busters 30 Day AF Challenge number 2!
                              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

600 Days of xtexan

Neil - Thank you for posting your story and for being there and for being 600 days AF! I know you're that for you but it sure helps us too!! We'll keep popping over from Boozebusters - thanks DG for the link - to hang on your every word!

Otie - yes, I started out 'in' AA and am very grateful for what I heard there but after about 4-6 weeks I was seriously climbing the walls and ready for a drink! Yes, frustration!!! I am sorry you got what I dreaded if I had done what I could so easily have done (even though I didin't want one!!) and had one drink... I felt sort of responsible for the entire group's sobriety and it was awful!.... And it didn't much help to have all of them feel responsible for mine! Here, 'at' MWO (yes!!!! 'at' is 'at' and not 'in' - tick, or 'out' - big cross!) I feel responsible for my sobriety, I feel I have choices and I want to really share my journey with everyone elses...if I have a drink one day (not planned!) because I want to I'll still be welcome and helped with mod-ing and if it's a mistake I'll get a lovingly serious kick up the arse... The sun stays out at MWO...but it's a bit dim 'in' those 'rooms'!!
                                I was/am a 'bad' member because I wont get a sponsor so am going
                                to fail.... hmmm! (I still go one evening a week because I 'do service' and make coffee (good reason) and it keeps people off my phone checking up on me all the time. (bad reason but there you go...) MWO is 'mine' too, but AA just helps my family feel a bit more confident I think... we'll see how it goes. I've had a bit of a vent too...thanks! (I just met an AA member in town and we had coffee (good) but I felt so glad I could come home to you guys with smiles and smilies rather than, 'oooh, be careful's and 'but are you sure's...! Coffee making at meeting tonight but I'll just go on smiling and saying 'I'm fine' and ignore the wry looks... )

It's great to have 30 days parties etc isn't it?! (Thanks DG!) In AA we would probably be scolded and told not to be so cocky!... We do know that one but, heck, why not celebrate today and be positive for tomorrow rather than timid today waiting for failure tomorrow?!?! I know which I am enjoying!

Neil - can we give you/come to your 1000 day party? Wow, such dizzy numbers - thanks for leading us along the path. I hope the sugar thing settles soon - you've done so much you deserve to feel really
                                well!

Love to all
                                Feet x
                                :heart: c: :heart:
                                "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

Working...
                                X