A question of obsession?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question of obsession?

AAthlete: Your words are exactly what I need to hear & see. I'm learning to live a new way.
    -work through difficulties instead of letting them pile up & fester.
    -let go of what I need to let go of.
    -keep myself in the present moment.

I too used alcohol to shut off my mind. Now, as I approach each situation & bring it to closure, I don't have as much going on in my head.

Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Comment

A question of obsession?

It's funny, but I don't feel like I am nearly as "obsessed" by alcohol as I used to be, now that I am 6 months' sober. When I was drinking, it was constantly on my mind: "Do I have enough at home, or should I get more?", "Only 2 more hours at work, and then I can have a glass of wine." , "Wow, it's supposed to snow later, let me go get enough wine now, so that I won't have to go out when it's snowing.", and so on, and so on. Now I come on MWO, sometimes once or twice a day, sometimes every few days, and I read/post as much or as little as I want. I don't feel like I have to, nor do I feel that I need to. I feel like I WANT TO.

I don't think all that much about drinking these days at all, although I do think about it sometimes more than others, the holidays being an example. Compared to how much energy I used to spend on thinking about drinking, I spend very little energy thinking about not drinking. I just don't drink. Life is a heck of a lot easier now than before, since I'm not making an extra problem to cope with.
      AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

A question of obsession?

I'm just getting started on my journey. I can't answer any question posted, but I can tell you that even though I hope to be one of the ones that can declare AF for many months, years to come, this web site and the people on it, gave me hope. Talking about my addiction and problems is not something that I'm free to share with many of my friends or family. Friends tell me I don't have a problem, and family tells me I do. It's hard to deal with. Here, reading what everyone is posting, is a salvation to me. No one is here that doesn't share something in common. I don't believe that addiction is truly ever cured. Maybe physically, but not mentally. We always dwell, or live the parts of our lives that we screwed up. Maybe that's the obsession. Oh well, I'll signing up for the ride, and hopefully in the near future, I'll actually be driving and in control

Comment

A question of obsession?

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. I've just had a quick read through and there's a lot of sense in there and things that give me hope. I'll spend some time properly thinking about your posts later.
          I'm glad that the thoughts of drinking diminish. I guess my problem is I've only ever made about five weeks continuously AF and maybe that's just not long enough to clear my head (well, obviously not to kick it completely).
          Ah well, new year, new determination.
          :thanks:
          sigpic
          AF since December 22nd 2008
          Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Working...
          X