The Abstinence Pledge or ODAT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

retteacher;439422 wrote: I love the combo approach: ODAT when I'm really needing that mindset...Abs for life as the long-term goal.

Mary

I was going to write a bit how I was feeling and how I was doing but I think Mary says it quite succinctly... I use ODAT when shaky (now !!!) and abstinence as my long term objective.

Funnily enough, I started on ODAT (well 30 days actually...) but as it was fairly easy to stop drinking I changed it to long term abstinence...how my words have come back to bite me... and I am trying to reflect more (not my forte) and thinking back I was so self-assured and I thought if it is so easy to quit what's all the fuss about ?? LOL

Oh how I am dressing my wounds now...for me it is staying OFF the alcohol that is giving me a good shake .... my wake up call ?? I don't know ... but I would advise that in preparation for these times I was lucky enough to have gathered around me the physical, chemical, herbal, and the two most precious of all spiritual & human resources, to help me cope with such times when I could fall into that glass of cider ....

I am fortunate.

That's why my signature says thanks... I sometimes forget, so there it is as a reminder for now.
    None of us should be scared to pm or email another for support if we need it, and as it is shown on here there are plenty of people with similar backgrounds, social life or education etc that you will find someone to get support off or give support to ....

Good luck in your own journey to sobriety,

Heavenly
    ?We are one another's angels?
    Sober since 29/04/2007

Comment

I've not read all the threads, but personally for me when trying to be AF - setting myself a target date is most helpful. I've tried ODAT and I just think 'Will I or won't I?' all day long and end up drinking anyway.
      Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

hi janice,good question,drink or not to drink,ive found tht it is not so easy for some,im gonna abstain tomorrow,cause thts what i want,truthfully i have not a clue how i do it,just stop,but cant stay stopped,it is like many, a never ending battle,but i do after finding this site, there is hope,tallking about it,hope i helped gyco

Comment

oppppppppppppps want to join uss hahha

Comment

ODAT & Complete Abstinence - combined approach

Hi All,

:new:

I'm new. My story is much the same as alot of others - 1 bottle to 2 bottles of wine a night for the past 6-8 years on and off - I know my health is failing so this is crunch time for me. I cant just have one drink.

This is a great thread for everyone to read because I feel that any discussion that helps to change one's mindset on what alcohol does to you and what you think it does for you is a good place to start.

I think Im with those who see the plan of action as being a combination of ODAT and complete abstinence forever. I think being mindful of today rather than thinking to tomorrow or even to yesterday takes some doing but it has helped me to overcome anxiety issues and to help keep problems on a smaller scale, so I think Im going to try this approach as a starting point...cant say I'm not gonna drink today because I already have ...but tomorrow morning I can start the plan of action ODAT...all we can do is try and to keep trying is so much better than not.

Coming on to this forum tonight has given me food for thought...so thank you all for posts and just for being out there!

Best wishes to everyone.
            x:thanks:

Comment

Jellybelly: Welcome! This is a great thread, & there are others too. The daily thread on 30 day abs is also very good. I try to check in there every day (ODAT). I've been w/MWO since Apr. 07 & have had my ups & downs. That said: I've had more success here than I had in the previous several years. It took me a whole year to admit that I cannot drink like a normal person. Once I start, I cannot stop. Please keep coming & sharing. Mary
              Wisdom, Courage, Strength
              October 3, 2012

Comment

just reading through this thread,great advice and reading personally for me it was abstinence as i was swimming in the murky river of alcohol, but still heading for the bottom. great to be here :thanks:

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

What a great thread this is! Such good advice and lots of wisdom here.

I use a 3 prong approach to staying AF. My main goal, since first starting here, has always been total abstinence. I use the ODAT approach to get through the rough spots in a day. But neither one of these would have done me any good without the support I've found here at MWO.
                  AF since 7/26/2009

"There is nothing noble in being superior to other man. The true nobility is being superior to your previous self."--Hindu proverb.

"Sobriety isn't a landing but rather a journey." anonymous

Comment

Interesting posts....For me, the first few months of sobriety were definitely ODAT. No will I or won't I and leaving No Room for AL in my life. I can remember thinking.....I just have to get past the next 15 minutes, the next 30, finally the urge to drink would pass. Many, many nights I went to bed extra early in order to escape the urge to go and buy alcohol. Gradually over time, the days of just not thinking about alcohol began to become the norm for me. These days, for the most part, alcohol and thoughts of drinking are rarely present. But, if a drinking thought arrises, I quickly get busy and think of other things or go for a walk........these thoughts pass more quickly this long into sobriety.

With all this being said. I am still, ever aware, that just one drink could lead me back to the dark path that I used to be on!
                    A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Working...
                    X