Does the Beast Ever Go Away?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mags, that was a GREAT post and this is a wonderful thread. I hope it keeps on getting bumped up, often. Like Rob, I once had 3 years of freedom from alcohol, then decided to drink. With (sometimes) terrible consequences. Sometimes it is not a matter of responding to cravings (or urges or impulses) that recur, even after years have gone by without alcohol, but much more subtle rationalizations. That's what is likely to be my own downfall, and it scares me terribly. I just hope I can keep on being frightened of what my own mind can do to me, by whispering to me that it really would be OK to "have a drink."

wip

Comment

Mags;390391 wrote:
      Just because you are sober for a long time doesn't mean that every day still is so easy.
      Thanks for this food for thought, mags.

I've been sober for close to six months now and still sometimes feel I'm missing something. Its not the drink per se, but the camaraderie and companionship that my drinking had provided. I sometimes miss the long conversations, the bantering, the joy of togetherness my drinking sessions with friends provided. But this feeling of loss is very fleeting.

However, the big, big plus is that now for the most part,by being sober I feel free, as if I've got myself out of self-inflicted bondage.

Posts like yours really help us to see sobriety in the right perspective.

FarlessofaDoubter
      *Let noble thoughts come to us in all directions...*

Comment

Mags, my hand is here for you anytime. We so appreciate your honesty and sharing. I think the occasional beast call and the ability to see it for what it is, is a part of our recovery.

So long as we stand back from it, and let it have it's moment, then move forward, we can then carry on with our lives, sober.

Hugs to you my friend for we are all in this journey together.

R2C
        Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. --Confucius
        :h

Comment

Mags - just wanted to say - EXCELLENT POST!
          Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

thoughts happen. we don't even need to initiate them, they just come along whether we like it or not. the only choice we have is whether or not to identify with them. Part of this is being present enough to "see" the thought and realize it's not the real "us". Not always easy perhaps.

XXXXXXX Mags
            nosce te ipsum
            (Know Thyself)

Comment

Mags, thank you for that post. It is helpful to know that I must always keep on my guard. I am only just over 6 weeks, feeling good and strong. But I can't expect life to never come up and bite me on the bum again. I guess as long as I am aware of the beast, he she or it cannot beat me.

Thank you, you are truly inspirational
              Startingover x
              Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
              Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Mags,

Thank you for the post and the reflection! Everyone on this thread is an inspiration to me. While it is a personal war, you all give me the courage to continue the fight!

Guy
                Day 30 af
                "I've done it. I don't need to drink anymore. I'm free!"-Jason Vale

Comment

NOPE !, but you cancalm the beast !! IAD.
                  ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                  those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                  Dr. Seuss

Comment

NOPE ! But you can tame the best ! IAD.
                    ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                    those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                    Dr. Seuss

Comment

Dear Mags, yes, thank you for your honesty, I am always here for you, if you need an ear. I am much newer to living without alcohol than you are, 8 months. There are times when the urge is there, and the thoughts of "perhaps a glass or two" would be OK....etc. But, I can honestly say that it is not nearly a daily thing for me. I have changed a lot of my daily routine, in many ways, I have changed my life. I knew that I had to make serious changes and work on my thinking if there was to be any hope of living happilly as a non-drinker. I afford myself no "romantic notions" about drinking. It is not romantic, relaxing and wonderful for me. Drinking mean living with constant depression and anxiety. Daily hangover fog and the constant worry of being "found out".....when I think of those things....I feel so grateful for every day living without alcohol. I hope that this continues!
                      A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Mags,
                        Your story about life after alcohol is a timely reminder to me to remain AF. I am at day 30 tomorrow and lately I have had thoughts about moderation. I know, in my rational mind, that I can't moderate but I still have these thoughts that it would be Ok to have an ocassional drink. I keep trying to push these thoughts away. Your post has reinforced my committment to be AF. I feel like Kate: I can't go back to that feeling of anxiety and depression that alcohol brought to my life...I just can't go there. Thanks, Mags. I will, forever, work on my drinkin thinkin. I also need to work on changing my life and my daily routine if I am to have long term success. I hope you are able to deal with your life changes successfully- you have come many miles and are an inspiration to all of us here. Thanks again.
                        Kriger
                        "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

Mags,

With Gratitude and Love, thanks for the sharing.

mwo2
                          workout:chick:mwo2

It's my world to make now...cuz I found my way out.

Comment

Mags,

I heard something in AA today that so reminded me of you and this thread.

"We have to take it one day at a time. Some days you just have to put one foot in front of the other and then do the right thing."

You have told me that so many times.

Love,
                            Cindi
                            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

ODAT...Amen! Some days are easy and some days VERY hard, but as the next day rolls around...OH SO NICE not having a hang-over. Thanks for sharing Mags!
                              Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

Mags, Thanks so much for this very honest and thoughtful post. I am a little over 4 months sober and share the experiences that many have already expressed. While on vacation a week ago, the "beast" was really working hard on me, telling me that "one or two drinks would be ok."

I literally found myself gritting my teeth at times. I just have to remind myself that these thoughts will pass and they do and they come back and it just sucks sometimes. But, I'm sober and I'm proud of myself and I'm proud of all of you because Lord knows it ain't easy. I'm hoping the the thoughts will begin to stretch out more. I am committed to this.
                                Thanks again.
                                AF Since April 20, 2008
                                4 Years!!!
                                :lilheart:

Comment

Working...
                                X