The Beast is still here...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, this morning, I was reading my devotionals, and this really hit me after I read this thread.....so I thought I'd share the passages:
    Proverbs 13:10, "Arrogance leads to nothing but strife, but wisdom is gained by those who take advice"
    Proverbs 16:18, "Pride comes before destruction, and an arrogant spirit before a fall"
    I guess we just need to always remember that if we get "cocky" about letting the Beast in, we're gonna take a dive!
    "Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending"

Comment

Don,

I just now found and read this thread--all the way through. There is so much thought and wisdom in these posts. Let me add just a slightly different perspective by way of contrast. And as a runner, you'll understand.

Many years ago I was running a hilly section of the Boston marathon course with a Kenyan runner. The group I was in was mostly Americans and we attacked the hills one at a time. Near the end of the run the Kenyan moved past us and said something softly under his breath. After the run I appraoched him and asked him what he was saying back on the hills. He said, "why do you Americans always fight the hill?" He next said with laughter "the hill always wins when you fight it". I asked, "how do you run it then?" He replied, "the hill is always the same. It is never mad or happy when I run it. It is just the hill. So, I let the hill come to me and I let the hill run under me and I never rush through the pain. The pain will stop as the hill will stop."

His point, I think, is to let the hill, the work, the pain come to us and in doing so it is always manageable. The mistake he observed is the inclination to believe that you can dominate something like a hill. Is life any different than running? I know this perspective has helped me as I have traveled this AF road.

Keep at it buddy.

July

Comment

wow
        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

July ... beautifully poignant analogy.
          Thank you.

Comment

Oh, yes, July, that is a fantastic story, and very very helpful imagery. Thanks.

wip

Comment

He next said with laughter "the hill always wins when you fight it". I asked, "how do you run it then?" He replied, "the hill is always the same. It is never mad or happy when I run it. It is just the hill. So, I let the hill come to me and I let the hill run under me and I never rush through the pain. The pain will stop as the hill will stop."

July....

Thank you. I can very much relate to this.....I guess the key is to let the hill run under us instead of over us.....

Thanks, my friend...

Don

Comment

Wow! That's a great story, and makes sooooo much sense! Thanks tons for sharing, I'll start remembering to let the temptation just run under me too, and not try to battle it....it is just there, so let it go beneath us.... I love it!
                "Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending"

Comment

wow.. July...
                  what a wonderful spot to remember such a lovely story.

Comment

Don:

I don't know if you'll read this, as I'm coming into this thread late. I just read the whole thing all the way through. Your alcoholic thinking is exactly the type that has pushed me into my many lapses. I won't do that again.

I want to tell you about my brother-in-law. He tends toward addictions: food & work & alcohol. Unbeknowst to the family, he was drinking A LOT: according to him a bottle of scotch a day (he's a really big guy...maybe that's how he did it). He swore it off & stopped drinking. He was AF (as far as I know) for over 2 years. Unfortunately, he works around alcohol (wine distributership). He started lapsing: a few sips here & there, a beer socially, etc. Now, I'm noticing (takes one to know one) that he's drinking to get drunk every time he drinks. I love this man. I feel bad, but this is his battle (as I have mine). That said: I KNOW that I would never, ever be able to feel satisfied w/just one or two. I was always looking for the longest buzz I could get.

I don't really feel qualified to share on this forum, but reading this thread reminded me about my BIL's story.

Good luck, Mary
                    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                    October 3, 2012

Comment

Mary, I'm so glad that you bumped up this thread today.

Don, of course I sorry to hear that you struggled. But since you did struggle, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing that struggle. And I also thank all of the long time abstainers for all the thoughtful posts about your own experiences.

This information is priceless to me. Thanks for all that you give.

DG
                      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Don...get out of the ring right now with the beast....kick his f@#k**g a#^@ to the curb.

These were your words of wisdom for many of us as we struggled along. You will be fine, I'm sure of it.

The beast loves to sneak in when we least expect it. I hope your feeling better.
                        R2C
                        Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. --Confucius
                        :h

Comment

Thanks everyone......yes, I am much better. The Beast is a worthy adversary, but he is back in his hole, where he belongs....

I think the key is to be aware that these "Beast Thoughts" can come from no where , and when you least expect them....

Hope everyone has a great Beast Slappin' day!!!

Don

Comment

I like this thread. this is the one I read when I feel like it's OK to get wasted. It wakes me up, reading everyone's comments.
                            You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

the beast will always be there and you can never let your guard down. I thought I had the BEAST licked due to health problems brought on due to alcohol. Due to my obsession to cure my health issues and my subconsious mind to get back to dricking I thought I would TEST with a couples of beers an yes my health got worse and I learned that the Beast will always be there around every corner and you must stay awake at ALL times

Comment

Don, I just keep loving to bump up this thread. You and I have talked so many times. It is so important for us to know that the Beast never goes away. That may sound a bit paranoid, but it really isn't. It is just reality.

That doesn't mean we have to be so afraid of him anymore. We have strength. I look at the Beast these days and he looks ugly and I say, Hey big guy - I'm bigger than you! All five feet one of me. If I don't have the strength myself, I have learned to call on my husband or my wonderful friends here. Nothing wrong with that.

Give a hug to Emily for me.
                                Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

Working...
                                X