WHO DID YOU LEAVE BEHIND?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's the tough question. Who did you leave behind? A spouse, parent or child? A career? A neighborhood? How did you first take responsibility for your sobriety and then let go of the triggers?

In my case, Lemonhead, I hope I don't have to leave anyone behind.

All I have is my family, my career and my friends here.

I am quitting so I don't lose any of that.

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

I am fortunate in that I have not left any people behind. I did however make stupid financial decisions that left my savings behind. I lost everything financialy (including my house) and my career took a dive. I have relapsed recently and am picking myself again, but since going AF and managing for over 90 days, my finance, career and energy have started to pick up in a most heartening way. Not only am I making better decisions, but I have more energy.

Comment

Lemonhead,

I think its quite possible that your triggers will always be there. For me I had to learn to deal with them in a different way (and am still learning!). At first it was really hard to be in a social situation without AL, but I was lucky enough not to have anyone trying to persuade me to drink - most of my friends are non-drinkers and always have been. There are others on the board who have 'given up' friendships that can't be sustained without AL.

There is obviously someone or something that you are worried about dealing with AF, do you want to be more specific? You might be able to get more direct advice if you do.

Take Care

Bets
        x
        Proud to be SLIGHTLY SLOVENLY.:wavin:

[/COLOR]

Comment

I left my alkie ex behind, the same ex who told me to my face how he was NOT an alcoholic as he merely had a dependency..........in his dreams!!!!

To quit drink, I had to quit him first.......was the way forward for me.........no regrets. :H

Star x
          Formerly known as Starlight Impress.

Comment

I left part of my relationship with my husband behind. It's different now, will be better over time but we are still adjusting.
            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

I left my whole past life behind and now have started on my new life,starting with myself and moving slowly forward

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
              I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

The only way I could take responsibility for my addiction was to look at my part and the role I played as an addict. I had abused, manipulated, lied, stole, emotionally raped and blackmailed people and the ONLY way to take responsibility for those was to 'own' my part in it. NOT rationalize or try and justify my behaviour; but actually see it for what it really was and accept that. I didn't want to at the best of times, believe me, as some of the things I've done I'm completely ashamed of. I move forward today with a conscience and although it's not completely clear at present I've got some peace of mind knowing I'm not a bad person.

I think too many people fall into the trap of leaving their old self behind and not getting in touch with that alcoholic/addict, which is always going to be a part of who we are. Phil the addict is the person I have to manage in my daily life so I don't go out and drink, but to just wash my hands of him and move on is just like putting a plaster over the wound for me. Without any air to breath I'm just ignoring the problem and inside I'm suffocating which will eventually lead me back to the bottle. I accept Phil the addict today and don't hide from him or run away from him.

So in all honesty I've left nothing behind. I've just accepted me for who I am and what I've done and live my life to the best of my ability today. Acceptance is definitely the key for me to a happy future.

Peace and Love
                Phil
                xx
                "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Execllent post Phill, I agree 100%. I think making peace with our past and accepting it, warts and all for what it is, is paramount to succeeding on our journey.
                  Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

All good posts and I take a bit or a lot from all of them .... what I left behind was a damned nasty drunk ..... and became a sober person !!!! Nice or nasty ? who knows ... but sober ....
                    ?We are one another's angels?
                    Sober since 29/04/2007

Comment

Working...
                    X