Why I want to let go of moderation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's been a little talk on the AF daily thread about fleeting thoughts of wanting to try to drink moderately. It got me thinking.

I am feeling quite good today, on day 18. I feel as though something has clicked, and I am beginning to really feel that I want alcohol out of my life for good. I do still have those fleeting thoughts of wanting to try to drink moderately again. But I have been dismissing them, by thinking rational thoughts, like:

I've tried to moderate for years, and although sometimes I can do it successfully, it is a struggle. Life is easier without that struggle. I don't want the question of "when can I drink again?" to take up mental and emotional space in my life.

Even when I've "succeeded" at drinking in moderation for relatively long stretches of time, I have inevitably had slips. Those slips have led to 1. falling down drunk in front of my child 2. picking fights with my husband 3. calling people and forgetting the next day what I said on the phone. 4.Waking up anxious and scared, and wondering how bad I was the night before.

Even when I drink moderately, alcohol effects my moods, my sleep, my energy level, my outlook and my self-esteem in negative ways. I am prone to depression and anxiety. We all know that alcohol makes those things worse.

I am a mother. Childhood is short. I don't want to miss anything.

I've been lucky that my drinking has never led to anyone being physically hurt. It could. If I never drink again, I will never have to live with the horror of that.

Even though I am not certain that my drinking problem would inevitably progress (because over the last 20 years it has ebbed and flowed, risen and fallen so many times, without getting "progressively worse") I am not willing to take the chance that it could get significantly worse, and that then I might do real damage to myself or someone else.

I love my kids more than I love getting buzzed. I'm a better mother when I don't drink. Sometimes I've thought that I was more patient or more fun with my children when I'd had a couple of glasses of wine. I don't believe that anymore. I may have felt
    better. But I was a little too silly, a little disinhibited. And sometimes I'd snap. I'd snap with irritation, and then wonder if it was because of the alcohol, and feel guilty. Now, sober, if I snap, I can figure out whether or not to feel guilty on the basis of what's happened, and not automatically feel guilty, seeing myself as a drunk.

Sometimes I want to drink to better tolerate the things that annoy me about my husband. I've decided I want to learn other ways to handle that...To talk to him, or take a break from him, or talk to a friend, or come here...Not to blunt and blur my feelings with two or three glasses of wine.

Some people seem to drink in a way that's "normal" and not unhealthy. They drink to enhance a meal or a moment, and not to run away from reality. I'm not one of those people. I have always been someone who drank away tension, anxiety or sadness. I have come to believe that someone like me, who has used alcohol that way for so many years, just isn't a good candidate for moderate, or "social" drinking.

I never want to go through the first week of sobriety again. I hated the moodiness, the cravings, the feeling of being at a loss. It went away, and I don't want it back.

I am happier now than I remember being for a long, long time. And it's only been 18 days alcohol free! I'm ready to break the cycle, of trying moderation again, over-doing it just enough to get depressed and anxious, and then drinking more to try and escape those feelings.

I think I'm done.
    "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Sarasmiles, I agree with EVERY word you just wrote.
    Wally22:confusedmonkey::confusedmonkey::confusedmo nkey:
    If I don't want to brag but I can still wear the earings I wore in highschool
    November 2, 2012

Comment

Thanks Wally22. That makes me happy.
      "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

hi sarasmiles, imo its much harder to moderate than abstain, not to say that abstaining is easy.but you have a set goal,no alcohol whatsoever so you are not battling the how manys.anyway welcome to the lta and i wish you well.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Sara,
          Beautiful words of wisdom from you. I posted this on the mod board and wasn't sure if you had read it but it does help one to understand why moderating is so difficult. Once you get off of the merry-go-round and just quit I know you'll find things to be much easier. Good luck!
          Cyber hugs,
          Eve11

Taken from the mod board:
          "... with any learned behavior it increases in frequency with rewards and decreases with punishment. People stop performing any given behavior when there is no longer an incentive to continue. However this extinction will not take place when the given behavior is positively reinforced occasionally. So, the challenge for occasional drinkers is the fact that they will always have the craving for drinking. If they quit drinking completely the craving would disappear over time but they continue the cycle of craving by allowing themselves to drink from time to time so the battle will always be there for them.

When they are moderating according to their goals and getting that occasional positive reinforcement (the taste of the wine or alcohol they love) the warm buzz, the relaxed, mellow feeling it all seems worthwhile. But when they fail and wake up the next day with the old feelings of hangover, remorse etc…then the question remains…is it worth the battle for those times a moderator drinks according to their moderation goals/plans?

When do people decide it’s not worth the battle?
          "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Sarasmiles,

Thanks for starting this thread. I have abstained before for several months. I'm moderating now, but not content. I'm not getting drunk, but I am wasting time and not living a full life. I want the benefits of a healthy, alcohol-free life. Thanks for the nudge!

Tom

Comment

A wonderful post Sarasmiles.
              I'm happy for you.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.
                Eve, I loved the quote you posted...And I remembered it once I read it. For me, it describes perfectly the difficulty of moderation. You are so sweet, and helped me so much as a "modder"...I'm grateful for your support as I began to accept that that path is not going to work for me.

Tom, I'm glad you felt a nudge. Good luck to you whichever path you choose!

Mario, I appreciate the welcome, and I wish you well, too.

Oh happy day, waking up early, (but not at 3 am!) rested and ready to start the day, and at peace with myself. I'm so grateful to my friends at MWO. Sara

Comment

great post sarah...wise words that i will come back to again and again as i attempt to omit alcohol from my life again!

Comment

Sara, what a wonderful and wise post. While staying AF is not always easy, the decisions are much simpler.

DG
                    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

great post sara....
                      sigpic
                      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Sara what a great heartfelt post. I had just replied to you on the mod thread before I saw this one.
                        You have my upmost respect for your decision.
                        Keep safe
                        KTAB
                        Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Thanks for the wonderful words Sara!
                          I am in total agreement with you.

Wishing you the very best,
                          Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Thanks, friends...
                            It feels good to be sharing this with all of you!

Comment

It s good to reach out and discuss ... I find personally that abstaining has taken away the daily stress of trying to moderate, and lets face it moderating to alcoholics is all consuming. It still leaves you with no life, no thoughts of anything except controlling that which controls us ....

I haven't slipped unintentionally ... I think that's why I stay here in long termers (what is long term ?) mostly, a slip is not a slip it is an intention to drink alcohol at that time.

It's far easier for me to live my life knowing that today and tomorrow and next week, along with the year after I will not drink alcohol. I am in control of me now.
                              ?We are one another's angels?
                              Sober since 29/04/2007

Comment

Working...
                              X