Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two years!!

Two years since I first came to mwo....

Two years since I paused, stood still after a two decade long drinking love story going horribly wrong , reflected upon where I was and where I wish to go further in life....

Two years since I ended up in a barroom brawl and almost temporarily lost my sanity...

Yes, this day is surely memorable, for all the wrong reasons.

Wait. Did I say wrong reasons? I stand corrected. This day is memorable for the right reasons; because it marked a definite transformation of my life's progress; given me a renewed sense of direction in life.

Exactly two years ago I came here to mwo, shattered by my execrable behaviour and looking for answers to my horrible predicament. As I re-read my first post, I can still feel the anguish and the emotional agony as if it were yesterday. I was beset with those existential queries of all (closet? rationalizing? ) alcoholics-
    -Am I an alcoholic?
    -Can I ever get away from the clutches of the ultra-seductive yet eventually soul-destroying booze? Is redemption possible?

Today, after staying away from booze for a full period of two years ( except for a teeny-weeny slip on two consecutive days about 18 months ago) I am beginning to find answers, however partial, to those doubts.

- Labelling oneself an alcoholic/ non-alcoholic is not important. What's important is to realise the existence of a problem - how alcohol starts complicating one's life. Change starts happening at this moment of this awareness. It took me two decades to realise this truth.

- For two years, I have definitely won the battle with booze. In fact the battle was not only with alcohol, but more importantly, with all those rationalizations and myths which drew me towards regular drinking.

As I re-read my past posts, especially those of the early months of sobriety, I realize how much better use of time, energy and resources I am able to make today after giving up drinking. I have rediscovered my long lost passions - of reading, running, meditation and volunteering; earlier I never had time for any of these activities while I was muddling through life in a never-ending alcoholic haze.

The changes in life have come about gradually, almost insiduously but changes for the better. Hopefully, long-lasting too.

As I enter the third year of sobriety, I hope to carry on my positive quest for inner meaning, and have some fun along the way. For sometime in the past, I had become too uptight.

I wish all the folks who have taken the trouble to read through my post all the very best in life. The road to sobriety, although appearing difficult in the intial stages, is well worth the effort.

I would also like to thank all the friends here at mwo, who welcomed me with open arms when I first came here and provided much needed support and guidance, which I was missing at times in real life.

Thanks, Angel, for being such a wonderful friend, philosopher and guide.

Peace to all!

'Lokah samasta sukhino bhavantu'

May the world be filled with peace and joy!

*Let noble thoughts come to us in all directions...*

Two years!!

Hello doubter, We never met while you were here but it is great to read your success in your battle with alcohol,it gives & shows great hope to others here that this battle can be won.wishing you the best for the future.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Two years!!

Hi All
      Great to see another reclaim their life from the grips of al. It is something we have let creep into our lives and take over. Two years is not about just stoping drinking but finding a new lifestyle. Congratulations on the hard work and connecting with the real you.

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
      AF 5-16-08
      Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
      AF 5-16-08

Comment

Two years!!

Doubter, thank you so much for sharing your progress. I'm so happy for you. I hate to even think about how much of my life I wasted either drinking or hungover. Ugh!

Take care.
        The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Two years!!

Doubter. It was a pleasure to read this post today. I too found that my darkest moment was the one that finally made me see the light. Many congratulations on turning your life around over these past 2 years.

I was really inspired to see you write "Lokah Samastha Sukhino Bhavantu" at the end of your post too. This ancient Sanskrit prayer is part of my daily meditation that I learned just over 2 weeks ago. The IAM (Integrated Amrita Meditation) technique to be more precise. It's a wonderful mediation and one I actually look forward to doing. It always felt like such a chore in the past trying to meditate. I couldn't find the spaces in-between the noise and clutter of the brain. That's really starting to change using this technique and I'm finding myself with a lot more inner peace and confidence than I've had in years.

Love and Light
          Phil
          xx
          "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
          Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Two years!!

Thank you doubter.
            sigpic
            Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Two years!!

Doubter...you are a inspiration to many here...thank you for the great thread!!!...and congradulations!!!
              :heart:AF since May 31 2008.....Happy and Healthy

Comment

Two years!!

(((((Doubter)))))
                Well done my friend! :l Hard to believe it's been 2 years!
                Milestones are a very special time.... time to reflect back on how far we have come, a time to make new goals for the future, and also a time to enjoy the "now" of what we are today. Words cannot express how proud I am of you Doubter...you are a shining example of someone that has not only changed their life around, but has embraced their sobriety as a cherished gift.
                Congratulations again my friend!
                AF 6 years
                NF 7 years

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one single step

Comment

Two years!!

Doubter.....Fallen...both on the same thread...great ! Have missed both of you...Doubter congrats are in order. What an accomplishment ! More good fortune unto you in the future ! Fallen......you have a little AF time going yourself....continued success.....IAD
                  ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                  those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                  Dr. Seuss

Comment

Two years!!

Doubter thank you for sharing, it is great to hear of your continuing success. I wish you well for the future.
                    Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Two years!!

Doubter,
                      Well done on 2 years AF and on such a very inspiring post.
                      Thank you
                      Keep on keeping on

Comment

Two years!!

Doubter....
                        your message really moved and inspired me. I am a newbie and struggling a little. Thanks for your post.
                        I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                        Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Two years!!

Doubter
                          Thank you for taking the time to share how sobriety has changed your life for the best. I know that it inspires all of those that follow you in this journey.
                          Congratulations!!!!

Comment

Two years!!

wonderful post

Comment

Two years!!

Congratulation's D! And great to see you coming back to post.
                              Best wishes.....

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Working...
                              X