Is There a cure for alcoholism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe there are many here who have differing opinions on this subject. For me though I only have to ask myself "Why is it I drank?" and "What value would drink have in my life today?" Whether it's curable or not is simply irrelevant to me. I choose not to drink for the simple fact I'm an addict. Drink, drugs, sex, relationships, facebook (lol!) I have an obsessive compulsion to want MORE. If something unhealthy is filling a void in your life then maybe it's time to look at the "void" rather than the substance.

Many Blessings
    Phil
    xx
    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

hippie37;848309 wrote: I believe there are many here who have differing opinions on this subject. For me though I only have to ask myself "Why is it I drank?" and "What value would drink have in my life today?" Whether it's curable or not is simply irrelevant to me. I choose not to drink for the simple fact I'm an addict. Drink, drugs, sex, relationships, facebook (lol!) I have an obsessive compulsion to want MORE. If something unhealthy is filling a void in your life then maybe it's time to look at the "void" rather than the substance.

Many Blessings
      Phil
      xx
      Ditto for me too Hippie!

Also, I like my healthy lifestyle now. I drank enough for 3 people in my drinking years so I have reached my limit on Al. Drinking kept me from growing up. I am not interested in "testing" or taking chances.
      AF Since April 20, 2008
      4 Years!!!
      :lilheart:

Comment

So, why would I want to drink again?

I've been sober in AA for 33 years, now, and it's been my observation that the question of "safely" returning to drinking rarely gets discussed by members with long-standing sobriety. Let me put it this way: considering what I stand to gain if I can safely drink again compared to what I stand to lose if I can't, it's a no-brainer.

Comment

i think of alcoholism like a coldsore.

once you have it it stays inside you buried, until the next trigger comes along to encourage it to rear it's head.

i can understand a person having the determined mindset to accept they are an alcoholic and resolve never to drink again, and they truly believe that is achievable. but, who knows what kind of pain life will deal you next week, next year, in ten years... and so on that will cause you to pick up that glass? a death of a loved one? a shock? an accident? a disability? a crisis?

very deep one mario, for which i'm sure there is no right or wrong answer, only a persons lifetime will tell.

my two penceworth
          The mind will intellectualize it, the heart will emotionalize it, yet the gut never lies.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9/girly-wirly-s-toolbox-2-45452.html

Comment

hippie37;848309 wrote: If something unhealthy is filling a void in your life then maybe it's time to look at the "void" rather than the substance.

Many Blessings
            Phil
            xx
            Thanks Hippie Phil, that sentence in right on the money for me. I need to find out how to fill the void thereby working on the real problem
            H
            Allen Carr’s book changed everything for me. The easyway to control alcohol. Highly recommended

Comment

Working...
            X