Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My experience at the weekend

Hi all

this is my first post as a long term abstainer and thought I'd write about some experiences I had at the weekend.

Anyone who's read my threads in general discussion will know that in my sobriety I've started up my social life again. I've always enjoyed music and a lot of the sort of things I like to go to are really quite focussed on that rather than the drinking. This weekend I was visiting my new 'man' friend(boyfriend sounds a bit silly to me now I'm in my 30s!) and we attended an American music festival held outdoors. It was a small affair and we took a picnic to have sat on the grass. Since it was quite a sedate afternoon, family event I'd not figured on so much alcohol being around. I didn't really notice it at first and of course we were just drinking fruit juice. After about an hour I really started to notice quite a few people were actually drinking reasonable quantities of alcohol, and realised the funny smell was coming from some beakers of red wine just behind where I was lying. The folk drinking were getting obviously drunk, and a guy in front of us quite openly used a disguised pipe to smoke some cannabis. It all started to get a bit much for me - it was as if I was completely surrounded, and I felt almost angry about it. Particularly the folk pouring wine right by my head. By this time we'd been there about 3-4 hours having eaten and enjoyed some of the music. My friend co-incidentally at this point said we should be going as we wanted to get some food for our evening meal, and then get ready to go out in the evening. I was really glad to be leaving.

That night we went out in the gay district, walking through a city centre I'd only heard had a bad reputation for binge drinking. I saw men openly urinating in the streets(not side ones - main streets), staggering, vomitting at only 1030pm. We went to a couple of bars to dance(something I really like doing), sipping lemonades and I wasn't at all bothered by the alcohol - in fact it didn't impinge on me at all. After an hour or two we'd danced enough and walked back to the car. On the way I saw numerous casualties of drinking all over the place and the people just looked awful. Never had an experience like it and I don't think I' want to go out in that city centre again.

What I found affected me most though was that it was the afternoon - family orientated, 'cultural' event that affected me most ,when I'd thought it would have been the safer option. The other thing is I'm so very grateful I'm not part of the british drinking culture any more. I just can't imagine being there ever again, and the state some folk were in is definitely something I never want to happen to me at any time in the remainder of my life.

UK Blonde,

I had an experience such as yours a few weeks ago. My husband and I took our children "tubing" down a river one afternoon. You go to a local outfitter and they drop you off with your tubes up the river and pick you up at the end. There were so many folks around us who were drinking and drunk...it was appalling. A wholesome family activity it was not. It really caught me off guard because I avoid situations where drinking is the main event. Not so much because I fear relapsing, rather, I am offended by it.

Congrats on your sobriety.

M3
    AF Since April 20, 2008
    4 Years!!!
    :lilheart:

Comment

Hey UKBlonde I also witnessed a bad experience at the weekend involving AL, I was flying home to Portugal yesterday after a weekend in Scotland only to find that on the flight, as well as holiday makers, there were some football supporters coming over here for a match between Celtic and a Portuguese team. Two particular men were already drunk when they got on the plane at 11am and were about 4 rows behind me. They sang offensive songs, insulted the passengers around them and the cabin staff. Worst of all they loudly swore using the F & the C word at the top of their voices. The flight was full of families with young children.

I would have found their behaviour out of order even before I quit drinking but now I found it so utterly pointless.... the longer im sober the more I see AL as something totally negative that is destroying our society. And that people actually excuse their behaviour because "oh Id had too much to drink" is just a sad pathetic cop out......
      "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
      AF - JAN 1st 2010
      NF - May 1996

Comment

Ukblonde;919891 wrote: Hi all
        The other thing is I'm so very grateful I'm not part of the british drinking culture any more. I just can't imagine being there ever again, and the state some folk were in is definitely something I never want to happen to me at any time in the remainder of my life.
        I empahatically agree UKblonde.
        The british drinking culture has such a bad reputation throughout europe for this type of behaviour. It use to shame me that I was a part of it.
        I am so proud to be sober when everyone else is drunk as skunks. Their behaviour just show me more what I want to get away from.
        Be strong-
        We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
        Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

Rebirth - Maybe im just an eternal optimist but I sometimes think maybe we are going so far with AL in our society that perhaps it will reach a point when it will swing the other way and become something sociably unacceptable like smoking?

Because it is such a big part of our culture now there are obviously more & more people reaching the point like us here on MWO who want to opt out. Wouldnt it be wonderful to have an AF society one day! Less crime, violence, depression and illness. I also now see AL as being a major contributor to the break down of my marriage which otherwise was a very happy one, how many families and relationships are destroyed by AL??

Anyway its something to aim for.......
          "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
          AF - JAN 1st 2010
          NF - May 1996

Comment

I agree but unfortunately it's still an acceptable drug. Only this morning Chris Moyles was talking about health in regards to drugs he said;

Alcohol is ok in moderation
            Illegal drugs big no-no but we know some of you take them so there will be some advice on this later(another programme I think)

Sorry but alcohol IS as bad as illegal drugs FULL STOP. It effects society just as much - we are simply in denial about it.

Comment

Absolutely agree Ukblonde. I wrote a post about a month ago that AL should stopped being so glamourised. You read so many stories about accidents, fights caused by binge drinking...tax money wasted. The fact that there are still AL adverts astounds me. But you wont see any cigarette adverts..I dont get it.

Chill - I was just thinking about my drinking during the breakdown of my marriage. Thinking back..we were both alcoholics. There wasnt a hope in hell for us to reconcile in out drunken states. We just got more drunk and more angry. It would be wonderful to live in an alcohol free society. Certainly for me anyways.
              Be strong-
              We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
              Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

I totally agree, Sheri and UK.

Alcohol is insidiously bad. It is not illegal so it must be "okay."

Just being here, seeing all that are suffering from it, seeing the hurt it causes so many.

So much of my life has been lost to alcohol, it makes me sick.

I can't get that back but I sure can keep it from happening again.

Cindi
                AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Sheri - I too started drinking 30 yrs ago, I got a mundane office job which I stayed in because of the good social life it gave me and it was also easy enough to cope with when I had been partying all night. EVERYTHING would have been different without alcohol in my life, maybe I would have qualifications and a career to show for myself.

I dont allow myself to feel sad or regret for these years, to do so would only infringe on the new life i am now building. I will not allow AL to ruin the happiness I now have with "what if's". I also do believe I had to go through all that to get to where I am and I am just so so grateful I found a way out. All around me I see so many still suffering in the clutches of alcohol, it is truely an epidemic. If I can help anyone see there is an alternative then it makes me feel I have something to give back for these wasted years......
                  AF - JAN 1st 2010
                  NF - May 1996

Comment

And you folk's HAVE an amazing future ahead of you all STILL. Start a career now. Why not? and who cares? Plenty of life in youse gal's yet you know! Get on with it. :h

N.R.N.R.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

I agree with you all.I can't shout it loud enough - alcohol is the ultimate worst offender in car crashes, marriage breakdown, family breakdown , health breakdown. I would like to see it banned - and when I see youngsters binge drinking it saddens me. I have not won the battle yet, but I'm moving in the right direction. Alcohol abuse seems to be increasing worldwide, is it an indication of stress or what.
                      make the least of the worst, and the most of the best - everyday.

Comment

On Blonde;919891 wrote: Hi all

this is my first post as a long term abstainer and thought I'd write about some experiences I had at the weekend.

Anyone who's read my threads in general discussion will know that in my sobriety I've started up my social life again. I've always enjoyed music and a lot of the sort of things I like to go to are really quite focussed on that rather than the drinking. This weekend I was visiting my new 'man' friend(boyfriend sounds a bit silly to me now I'm in my 30s!) and we attended an American music festival held outdoors. It was a small affair and we took a picnic to have sat on the grass. Since it was quite a sedate afternoon, family event I'd not figured on so much alcohol being around. I didn't really notice it at first and of course we were just drinking fruit juice. After about an hour I really started to notice quite a few people were actually drinking reasonable quantities of alcohol, and realised the funny smell was coming from some beakers of red wine just behind where I was lying. The folk drinking were getting obviously drunk, and a guy in front of us quite openly used a disguised pipe to smoke some cannabis. It all started to get a bit much for me - it was as if I was completely surrounded, and I felt almost angry about it. Particularly the folk pouring wine right by my head. By this time we'd been there about 3-4 hours having eaten and enjoyed some of the music. My friend co-incidentally at this point said we should be going as we wanted to get some food for our evening meal, and then get ready to go out in the evening. I was really glad to be leaving.

That night we went out in the gay district, walking through a city centre I'd only heard had a bad reputation for binge drinking. I saw men openly urinating in the streets(not side ones - main streets), staggering, vomitting at only 1030pm. We went to a couple of bars to dance(something I really like doing), sipping lemonades and I wasn't at all bothered by the alcohol - in fact it didn't impinge on me at all. After an hour or two we'd danced enough and walked back to the car. On the way I saw numerous casualties of drinking all over the place and the people just looked awful. Never had an experience like it and I don't think I' want to go out in that city centre again.

What I found affected me most though was that it was the afternoon - family orientated, 'cultural' event that affected me most ,when I'd thought it would have been the safer option. The other thing is I'm so very grateful I'm not part of the british drinking culture any more. I just can't imagine being there ever again, and the state some folk were in is definitely something I never want to happen to me at any time in the remainder of my life.
                        Hi uk blonde
                        As we get more sobriety behind us we just don't want to be around people who are drinking to excess,I have had a few experiences where i just feel uncomfortable being there,people look so ridiculous & stupid when there drunk & to think that was me,yikes Now i always plan ahead & where i know or expect there to be lots of drinking i have my exit excuse/plan ready,:goodjob:

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

I am still modding , but i can understand where your coming from, Thanks uk for the reminder of what were like when were drinking,

Comment

Working...
                          X