Conscience and gratitude?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If anyones read my spannered!!! thread you'll know I had a bit of a sticking point earlier this week. When the urge to drink did lift it was such a relief I wanted to shout it out in the street, get down on my knees in the middle of the road and thank whomever had removed my need to drink.

Just before I'd had my bad spell a Salvation Army donation envelope had been dropped through my letter box. Now I have a policy of donating to only 1 named charity in cash(mountain rescue for me), I buy and give items to charity shops, plus have a subscription to Cats Rescue League since I can't take in a feline myself. When I give to charity it's not willy nilly, it means something. Sooooo, prior to the episode I'd already chucked the envelope decided to say "No I'm not donating thanks" if the collector turned up at my door.

That was the plan - no excuses as my mother collects for another cause and says it's pathetically awful when folk say things like "What envelope", "My wife must have it and she's out", "Errr the dog ate it".

So the collector knocked on my door last night and I gave her my line...............then my conscience hit me. I have been to some AA meetings held in a SA hall, and my Grandmother spent a lot of happy times at the Salvation Army in her later years, living alone a widow for 50 years it provided her with a lot of stimulation and the chance to make friends. Without these places so many people would be forgotten.

Suddenly I had my purse open and found a ?10 note, ran down the path to catch her. She'd wandered off around the building to the next houses and seemed a little confused. I had to fill in a little form and popped my money in the envelope she gave me.

I'm not sure exactly what happened there but I felt it was the right thing to do.

I think it was a nice thing to do...

I think, us alco's can be very selfish and think only of ourselves....when we get sober, our eyes are opened just that little bit more and we can see"the bigger picture".

The SA struck a chord with you..it meant something to you and your heart realised that......thats progress.

Good on ya girl x
    "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
    NF 12th May 2010

Comment

That was a lovely thing to do uk, sometimes it takes a while for certain things to click and as one2many said something there stuck a cord with you. :-)

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

UK, this is something a friend passed to me recently. I shared it in the AA thread not too long ago, and it came to mind again when I read your wonderful experience.

12 Signs of a Spiritual Awakening
        1. An increased tendency to let things happen
        rather than make them happen.
        2. Frequent attacks of smiling.
        3. Feelings of being connected with others and nature.
        4. Frequent overwhelming episodes of appreciation.
        5. A tendency to think and act spontaneously
        rather than from fears based on past experience.
        6. An unmistakable ability to enjoy each moment.
        7. A loss of ability to worry.
        8. A loss of interest in conflict.
        9. A loss of interest in interpreting the actions of others.
        10. A loss of interest in judging others.
        11. A loss of interest in judging self.
        12. Gaining the ability to love
        without expecting anything in return.
        I can see a few of those signs in what you did. How wonderful that the beautiful, loving, giving spirit of UKBlonde is coming further out into the world.

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

I hope for these signs to be true!
          Cuckoo for Cocoa Puff!!!

Comment

I just hope the other charities don't find out. Felt the right thing anyway.

Comment

Awwwww UK.... You did GOOD! Isn't is gratifying to say to yourself, "What the heck. Let me pay it forward on Grandma's behalf."? And the thing about doing that is... You probably will never know how that 10 spot you dropped into the SA bucket will impact someone else's life in the future. It just might help keep the building rent paid so another grandmother can continue to be involved there... giving THAT grandmother meaning & purpose in her last years... just like it did for your own G'ma. You rocked it, UK!:goodjob:

I just recently had a conversation with someone about this topic: Everything we do... the good... the bad... the ugly... WILL affect another person SOMEHOW.

Comment

Ukblonde;961719 wrote: I just hope the other charities don't find out.
                :H
                sigpic
                Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

You did good UK, true caring :l:l

Thanks DG that list is excellent xxx
                  sigpicXXX

Comment

subscription to Cats Rescue League since I can't take in a feline myself. When I give to charity it's not willy nilly, it means something. Sooooo, prior to the episode I'd already chucked the envelope decided to say "No I'm not donating thanks" if the collector turned up at my door.

That was the plan - no excuses as my mother collects for another cause and says it's pathetically awful when folk say things like "What envelope", "My wife must have it and she's out", "Errr the dog ate it".

So the collector knocked on my door last night and I gave her my line...............then my conscience hit me. I have been to some AA meetings held in a SA hall, and my Grandmother spent a lot of happy times at the Salvation Army in her later years, living alone a widow for 50 years it provided her with a lot of stimulation and the chance to make friends. Without these places so many people would be forgotten.

Suddenly I had my purse open and found a ?10 note, ran down the path to catch her. She'd wandered off around the building to the next houses and seemed a little confused. I had to fill in a little form and popped my money in the envelope she gave me.

I'm not sure exactly what happened there but I felt it was the right thing to do.
                    Good for you UK...random acts of kindness are most definatley a sign of a maturing spiritual growth........just as an aside......The Salvation Army in Australia has been my beacon in many a stormy night with AL use, they provide so much here for detox and rehab/recovering services for Addicts. Long may they survive with our help
                    I am a part of the family of humanity. Not one person on this earth is a stranger to me. Rev. Ted Noffs

Comment

Working...
                    X