Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else here a sugar maniac?

Hi,

I'm happy to say that I successfully quit drinking (so far) close to two years ago. I heard that one of the side effects of quitting is an increased consumption of sugar. I've certainly found that to be the case for me. I eat lots more candy, ice cream, donuts, etc than before I quit drinking. I've heard this is normal (I guess my body misses the sugar that was provided by alcohol, or something) but I was wondering if anyone else has similar cravings.

FYI the maximum amount of sweets I've had in one day is eight pints of premium ice cream. That's $32 & about 10,000 calories.:new:

I love donuts;999844 wrote: Hi,

I'm happy to say that I successfully quit drinking (so far) close to two years ago. I heard that one of the side effects of quitting is an increased consumption of sugar. I've certainly found that to be the case for me. I eat lots more candy, ice cream, donuts, etc than before I quit drinking. I've heard this is normal (I guess my body misses the sugar that was provided by alcohol, or something) but I was wondering if anyone else has similar cravings.

FYI the maximum amount of sweets I've had in one day is eight pints of premium ice cream. That's $32 & about 10,000 calories.:new:

Hello and welcome to mwo, we all have them cravings but with all due respect it looks like to me you have switched one addiction for another,10,000 calories in one day is a disaster waiting to happen,if you post in the general forum you might get more feedback. and well done on your sobrity to date.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

:welcome:ILD - wow, be careful. Yes, I have major sugar cravings too, so you are not alone. Why don't you come over to the General Discussion thread so more people can find you. They don't look in the Long Term Abstainers Section often!!

Choochie

Comment

Choochie;1002744 wrote: :welcome:ILD - wow, be careful. Yes, I have major sugar cravings too, so you are not alone. Why don't you come over to the General Discussion thread so more people can find you. They don't look in the Long Term Abstainers Section often!!

Choochie
        I do often wonder why people don't come here to much, Some great posts here that can help everyone who is trying to abstain plus the motivation you get from listening to people who have not drank or dont intend to drink alcohol can not be diminished.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

I had BAD sugar cravings for the first two months but they have gotten a lot better. I have heard it can be bad to eat lots of sugar for recovery as it works on similar receptors as alcohol. However, I think in the beginning if it helps you stay sober, its a lot better than alcohol. I also had a particularly bad ice cream habit at first, for some reason I could control other sweets a lot better but started to feel like I couldn't live without my nightly ice cream habit. Still love it but had to limit it by buying individual portions because it was crossing a line into a substitute addiction complete with feelings of remorse and obsessive thinking.

Comment

I feel the need to eat a brownie EVERY single time I get near the fridge........its harder to quit sugar than AL IMO
            Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Nelz;1508373 wrote: I feel the need to eat a brownie EVERY single time I get near the fridge........its harder to quit sugar than AL IMO

Hi, Nelz. It probably seems harder because you don't have
              to do it to save your life in the short-run. I was heading for diabetes, which really alarmed me, so that was a great motivator! It is too bad that people aren't more aware of their fasting and post-meal blood sugar - type 2 diabetes can be reversed or avoided.

If the L-glutamine worked for you with AL, it probably will with sugar, also. Another thing is, the less of it you eat, the less you crave it. I'm pretty disinterested in both AL and the taste "sweet" these days - very liberating !

Sugar is another of those seemingly good things that most people feel much better without. All the best to you!

:h NS

Comment

Yes I have serious sugar cravings. Finally gave up my glazed sugar cinnamon rolls, 12 pack of cokes a day, and have reduced my coffee with to much sugar in it. I recently read an article by a researcher who said sucrose(table sugar) is the most addicting substance in the world.
                Success is making yourself do the thing you need to do, when you need to do it, whether you like it or not.
                If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything.

Comment

It's complicated... and probably a personal thing. For me it helped in the first few months to eat lots of sweet things. The most important to me was staying sober.

Once I felt I had a fighting chance, I started to examine my diet.

NoSugar;1508469 wrote: It is too bad that people aren't more aware of their fasting and post-meal blood sugar - type 2 diabetes can be reversed or avoided.
                  And found my fasting glucose was consistently perfect.

But...

After much more reading, and sifting through all the (contradicting) advice out there, I decided to have my fasting insulin measured, and that was way too high, bordering on being pre-diabetic.

I have since changed my diet completely, not just to lose a bit of weight (although I did lose over 40 pounds in 3.5 months), but to live as healthy as possible without going overboard.

Sugar is a funny thing... the best video about it that I know of is Dr. Lustig's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM[/video]]Sugar, The Bitter Truth. When I found out about non-alcoholic fatty livers, I really wanted to know the skinny (pun not intended) but had no need for alarmist drivel. Well, this 1.5 hour video was just the ticket.

Highly recommended.

Comment

Working...
                  X