Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alcohol and memory

Friends,

I have been drinking regularly for about 20 years and my long term memory has been severely impaired as a result. Do you know if it is something I will gain back naturally? Long term abstainers, did some of you lost long term memory and regain it? Thank you.

Alcohol and memory

Hi All
    Frenchman I think you forgot you already posted this in general. No problem I forgot what I had replied. Yes I have memory problems I think was my answer. What was the question again?

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
    AF 5-16-08
    Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
    AF 5-16-08

Comment

Alcohol and memory

Hi Frenchman,

I don't seem to have any long term memory problems. It's my short term memory that worries me a bit. But I really think it's age related (over 50).

If you are seriously concerned, maybe you should speak to your doctor about your concerns.
      I wish you well!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Alcohol and memory

Because alcohol is highly neurotoxic,it leads to damage of the brain and nervous system. Over time it can cause cognitive deficits, or loss of mental abilities in areas such as memory, concentration, motor control and ability to learn.

However, there is some hope now that those precious brain-cells are not lost for ever. Researchers at Stanford University have found that after at least six months of sobriety, the brain damage caused by alcohol’s toxicity does in fact repair itself.

They concluded that the mental abilities of their study group of long-term alcoholics, who had all been sober for between six months and thirteen years, were now the same as their control group who had not been alcoholics. The only capability that had not been recovered was spatial awareness.

Surely this is information to further motivate anyone who’s alcohol consumption is out of control – if you keep drinking, you’ll gradually lose all your faculties. If you stop, you’ll be dazzling friends with your razor-sharp wit just like you used to, ..................right?

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Alcohol and memory

i have a very good long term memory. some may say too good when i bring up certain things from the pasts. its short term for me that seems a bit wonky. also interesting to read what mario says about spacial awareness. mine is rubbish, im sure it didnt used to be... so thats something im not gonna regain it seem... now wheres my razor sharp wit when i need it
          Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
          Keep passing the open windows

Comment

Alcohol and memory

What about things like crosswords and Nintendo brain training games? I wonder would they help?
            I am a sobriety tart. AA/Smart/RR philosophy, meds/diet/exercise/prayer,rabbbits feet/four leaf clovers/horseshoes. Yes please.I will have them all thank you very much.Bring them on

There is no way the bottle is going to be stronger than I am.

Comment

Working...
            X